Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The Book Thread

1. Also guys dont forget theres more than just the Kindle. theres the Nook; Sony; Kobo; iPod
    those are just the ones i know of.

decisions decisions decisions LOL

If you haven't read The Help, it is wonderful.....They have made a movie from it which is due to come out in August. Also, Jeanette Walls ( I think that is her name) has written a couple of books which are great....The Glass Castle is the story of her life with her loving but irresponsible parents, and Half Broke Horses is the story of her grandmother's life on a ranch. Both are very, very good.
    Shannon, Boomer, and Sooner

wel it appears my son wants to buy me an e reader for my birthday, which is not until december, but hey he can get it for me anytime, i won't be complaining, apparently he wants to buy a kindle from amazon, his partners sister has one and loves it.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    I read "In the Garden of Beast" over the weekend. Could NOT put it down. It is on the best seller list as non-fiction. My book club did "The Help" last year - great book.
    I'm having a hard time putting it down! It's a fascinating, compelling story. The ambassador was on alert but others high up in the State Department couldn't or didn't want to hear it.

My mom took out from the library a book of poetry compiled by Caroline Kennedy. I am looking forward to reading it.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by carole View Post
    Pat it is called MERCY by Jussi Adler-Olsen, so far not exciting, but i think it will get that way only on page 63 of a 504 page book , so long way to go yet.
    The library doesn't have it, and the mystery bookstore owner had never heard of it or the author (right away she asked me "Is it Scandinavian?"). Today I found it on amazon.com, so I ordered it. It's coming from the U.K. and might take more than a month to get here!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Oh dear if you wanted it i am sure if you paid for postage once i have read it i could have sent it to you, as long as you were not in a hurry , as i only read a little at night before bed,mind you quite a big book, might cost more to post than to buy it off amazon.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Of Scandinavian writers, this couple is worth mentioning:
    http://www.scandinavianbooks.com/cri...ll-wahloo.html
    Thanks Randi. I just bought the Kindle edition of Roseanna (First of the Martin Beck series), a bargain at 99p.

Quote Originally Posted by carole View Post
    Oh dear if you wanted it i am sure if you paid for postage once i have read it i could have sent it to you, as long as you were not in a hurry , as i only read a little at night before bed,mind you quite a big book, might cost more to post than to buy it off amazon.
    Oh, thank you, Carole. I'm sure the postage from New Zealand would be quite a bit. Amazon isn't costing very much. The postage is still $3.98 (their usual postage charge) even for this one coming from the U.K.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

Carole the Kindle is amazing! My son gave me mine and it is such a blessing as I have failing eyesight from Diabetic retinopathy. I can make the print big enough to see more easily and the page is crisp and easy to read from with no glare so it is easy on one's eyes. You can get many books for 99c and sometimes even free from amazon which is good as I am a prolific reader. Also it will let you upload books from the free internet libraries like Gutenberg press. I say go for it and enjoy! I have hundreds of books I can no longer see to read which makes me sad but this is a great substitute.
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

Recently finished two non-fiction -

Superbug: The Fatal Menace of MRSA by Maryn McKenna

Our Daily Meds: How the Pharmaceutical Companies Transformed Themselves into Slick Marketing Machines and Hooked the Nation on Prescription Drugs by Melody Petersen.

I will never look at drug advertising again without remembering what I read.

11. Finished this a couple days ago: To the Gates of Aion. i seen that drawing an was instantly intrigued. the drawing is of an Asmodian man an Eloys woman. a very odd couple in the eyes of many due to both races thinking the other race is evil an such.

not technically a book again but ho well

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    I'm having a hard time putting it down! It's a fascinating, compelling story. The ambassador was on alert but others high up in the State Department couldn't or didn't want to hear it.

My mom took out from the library a book of poetry compiled by Caroline Kennedy. I am looking forward to reading it.
    Update... I finished "In the Garden of Beasts". Publishers Weekly used the word "mesmerizing" in their review and it certainly is. The ambassador was sending warning after warning and the people on this side of the Atlantic Ocean couldn't or didn't heed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Our Daily Meds: How the Pharmaceutical Companies Transformed Themselves into Slick Marketing Machines and Hooked the Nation on Prescription Drugs by Melody Petersen.

I will never look at drug advertising again without remembering what I read.
    Holy buckets! I must get this!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    The library doesn't have it, and the mystery bookstore owner had never heard of it or the author (right away she asked me "Is it Scandinavian?"). Today I found it on amazon.com, so I ordered it. It's coming from the U.K. and might take more than a month to get here!
    My copy of "Mercy" arrived yesterday from Manchester, England! So much for taking more than a month to get here.
    Death thought about it.

WOW that is what i call service, i am getting through the book slowly, enjoying it,there a bits in it that bore me a little, but i think it will get exciting,here's hoping, be interested to see what you think? happy reading.
    Furangels only lent.

I've just started reading it. I'll keep you posted, Carole.

Cost me $8.43.. postage and all!
    Last edited by phesina; 07-10-2011 at 07:23 PM.
    Death thought about it.