Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The Book Thread

I just noticed that someone mentioned a kindle e reader, my son is thinking of buying one from the states for me,are they really good, i am not sure i want to stop buying books, i kind of love having them, but the e reader makes sense, would be good for my arthritic hands not to have to hold a heavy book,and my eyesight is not the greatest ,need new glasses, so i gather you can make the text bigger, opinions would be appreciated, thanks.

Just finished homecoming by cathy kelly, enjoy her books,and now reading Mercy by jussi Adler-olsen, won this book and so far it is quite good ,different to what i normally read but good all the same.

Next book is Angelina Jolie's authorised autobiography by Andrew Norton, won this book also , will make interesting reading i think.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

I recently read the entire Evergreen series in memory of Belva Plain - including her last book Heartwood. I had forgotten what a wonderful storyteller she was

Now I'm into Land of Painted Caves, Jane Auel - amazing detail, amazing research. I haven't read her books for several years and hope to pick up copies of Plains of Passage and Stone Shelters in Portland later this summer - missed those two in the series Auel writes about an incredible civilization in pre-historic Europe during the Ice Age - her characters are so advanced in so many ways - a lot to learn about leadership and managing relationships among co-habiting peoples. The series is named Earth's Children.

Some others read over the past months include: My Secret Daughter (forgot author name); and if you like Susanna Kearsley - The Rose Garden is excellent! I have read most of Kearsley's books and really enjoy the historical aspect of her stories.

Has anyone read Americans in Paris ... I'm curious ?
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by carole View Post
    I just noticed that someone mentioned a kindle e reader, my son is thinking of buying one from the states for me,are they really good, i am not sure i want to stop buying books, i kind of love having them, but the e reader makes sense, would be good for my arthritic hands not to have to hold a heavy book,and my eyesight is not the greatest ,need new glasses, so i gather you can make the text bigger, opinions would be appreciated, thanks.

I didn't think I'd like a kindle. I love BOOKS. (I have them all over my house, lol!) I love the feel of a book in my hand. I love the way an old book smells... I remember reading the Nancy Drew books from the library as a kid and how they smelled... it's such a unique smell.

However, I got a kindle for my birthday last week. I am LOVING IT. I have read 5 books already. I tuck it into my bag and read the 20 minutes before I start work. I read at lunchtime. I read while I wait for hubby to pick me up after work. I am amazed at how crisp the lettering is on the "page". I don't know what took me so long to get one of these.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

ok i think you have me convinced already, just the price tag is a bit hefty straight up, as i usually buy most of my books second hand,but i think it would well pay for itself in the end, i think it will be gift to me though as i sure cannot afford one.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

I debated a long time. But hubby insisted I actually GET a birthday gift this year since I usually do not. I got the one "with special offers" so it was about $25 less than the regular one. I'm not seeing any intrusiveness with the ads, so that was money well saved.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    Randi, I love the Stieg Larsson books. I've read the first two, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl who Played with Fire but have yet to read the last one, The Girl who Kicked the Hornets Nest. I plan to look and see if it available at a reasonable price as an e-book. (Bought myself an Amazon Kindle as an early Christmas gift )
    I've been reading lots of Scandinavian mysteries lately! Henning Mankell for one.. he has many books out there.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Yes i love stieg larsson books, saw all the movies too,also have not read the first or last book, but won the second one, and really enjoyed it, i read them after seeing the movies, am looking forward to seeing the america version of the movie, Mercy the book i am reading at the moment is Scandinavian crime mystery, so far it is ok, but i think it will get better.
    Furangels only lent.

Which Scandinavian crime mystery are you reading now, Carole?
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

Pat it is called MERCY by Jussi Adler-Olsen, so far not exciting, but i think it will get that way only on page 63 of a 504 page book , so long way to go yet.
    Furangels only lent.

Thanks, Carole. I will watch for that one. I haven't seen books by Jussi Adler-Olsen here yet, but I will check at the mystery bookstore and the library.

I just finished reading "The Black Path" and before that "The Blood Spilt," both by Asa Larsson of Sweden. (The first A of Asa has a little circle over it, but I can't do that with my keyboard.)
    Death thought about it.

is the writer related to stieg then? they both sound good books,what did you think of them, off to bed now to have a read before sleep.
    Furangels only lent.

Of Scandinavian writers, this couple is worth mentioning:
    http://www.scandinavianbooks.com/cri...ll-wahloo.html

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I've just begun reading 'The Ode Less Travelled' by Stephen Fry.

http://books.google.com/books/about/...d=uOKa9poDqwcC

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Of Scandinavian writers, this couple is worth mentioning:
    http://www.scandinavianbooks.com/cri...ll-wahloo.html
    Thank you, Randi. I've read some of their books. In fact, that reminds me I've been meaning to get to the next one "The Man on the Balcony," I think it's called. They're very good!
    Death thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by carole View Post
    is the writer related to stieg then? they both sound good books,what did you think of them, off to bed now to have a read before sleep.
    I don't know if she's related to Stieg. I think Larsson is a pretty common name in Sweden. The books were quite gripping if very grim. Psychological mysteries sort of on the line of Ruth Rendell if you've read any of her books. VERY creepy, too!
    Death thought about it.