Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Book Thread

Hybrid View

The Book Thread

I got a gift card from Wal Mart as one of my Christmas presents. I went there on my break and bought three books. Can't wait to get started on them. I thought it would be fun for us to share what we're reading and maybe even give links to the books.
    I bought Caeser Milan's. I think he is so great with dogs! I love watching his show and have learned a lot. think I'm going to read that one first.
    http://cesarmillan.securesites.net/p...b23d2daa52c243

The next one is Marley and Me. I've heard it's really good but also sad so I won't be reading that one at work.
    http://marleyandme.com/

And the last one is From Baghdad with Love. It's about a soldier who rescues a puppy and their story from then on.
    http://www.amazon.com/Baghdad-Love-M.../dp/1592289800

So, what are are reading?

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

I haven't read the third book you listed, but the first two are excellent choices!!

I just finsihed Laurien Bereson's latest Raining Cats and Dogs. I am now reading Janet Evanovich, Two for the Dough.

susan conant has a series of dog world centered mysteries that i love. hard not to like stories with dogs named rowdy and kimmie.
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

Right now I am re-reading Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott and just finished The Old Curiosity Shop By Charles Dickens.

I read mainly classics with a couple of exceptions. I am a huge fan of Anne Rice. And if there is something in particular that catches my eye by any modern author whether known to me or not I will usually give it a shot.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

Up North. Where all your troubles freeze and fall off.
    I've read Marley and me. *note* if you're sensitive I would suggest not reading it before bed.

My favourite book I read rcentally was Sister to the Wolf. It was really good. I just finished LEO a greyhounds tale. It's AWEsome. Even if you're not addicted to greyhounds you'll probably like it. ( I'm so proud of my amazing book, my mom ordered it online and 15% went to greyhound rescue and I got it autographed my Cindy Victor )

On boxing day my grandma gave me a book "how to live with your neurotic dog" It's fictional, and really funny, great for laughs. It's a good one to read before bed. Here's a quote from the chapter "Sleeping routine"

"DON'T let your dog interfere with your sleep schedual. If he wakes you up often, go sleep on the couch. "

That's the only sentence I remember and I'm too lazy to go upstairs and get it.
    STILL AVAILABLE BY E-MAIL

Quote Originally Posted by Cincy'sMom
    I haven't read the third book you listed, but the first two are excellent choices!!

I just finsihed Laurien Bereson's latest Raining Cats and Dogs. I am now reading Janet Evanovich, Two for the Dough.
    I LOVE Janet Evanovich. I think she's a fabulous writer, and I love the Stephanie Plum series.

Right now, I'm only reading for classes. Currently, it's "Oral History" by Lee Smith, along with textbooks. I started reading "Running With Scissors" but I didn't have time.
    ~Sara, Daisy, Jessie, Jake, & Jackson

<3 Gone but never forgotten <3
    {Benjamin, Russell, Chester, Dexter, George Harrison, & Leeroy} {O.D.} {Trey} {John-Paul & Earl}

I go to the library once per week but I still buy books. The bookstore is like a drug for me. I can't walk past it without going inside. And once I'm inside I have to buy a book. I have books all over the place waiting to be read.

I love books so much, I'd marry them if they asked me. I especially love the smell of books. MMMMMM...good!

That said, Marley & Me was an awesome book. I am reading The Five People You Meet In Heaven. Easy read and good so far.

Did anybody read The Plague Dogs? I read about it on Dogster. It's by the author of Watership Down (which I loved). I think it's not the best book for all ages (it deals with dogs escaping from a science lab).

I haven't read it yet but will begin it shortly.
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

Quote Originally Posted by elizabethann
    Did anybody read The Plague Dogs? I read about it on Dogster. It's by the author of Watership Down (which I loved). I think it's not the best book for all ages (it deals with dogs escaping from a science lab).

I haven't read it yet but will begin it shortly.
    I read it years ago...I think I liked it but I don't remember it too well. If I remember right, it is sad but there is also a lot of humor in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by elizabethann View Post
    The bookstore is like a drug for me. I can't walk past it without going inside. And once I'm inside I have to buy a book. I have books all over the place waiting to be read.

I love books so much, I'd marry them if they asked me. I especially love the smell of books. MMMMMM...good!.
    Nice to hear that there is another bookaholic out there. I sniff my books too I especially love the smell of shiny papered coffee table books. It's heaven!

Quote Originally Posted by elizabethann View Post
    I read the Plague Dogs some time ago and I really enjoyed it. Very much along the lines of Watership Down. There was an animated movie made of it that ended horribly - I was aghast! Book's ending was much better.

Right now I'm reading Isabel Allende's "Paula". It is excellent!

I'm a bit compulsive about my reading and keep lists of the books I would like to read, the books I would like to own if I don't have them already AND the books I have read. I'm nuts!

When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I haven't started it yet, but I bought Adrift, by Steven Callahan to read on the train when I go on vacation. His story was featured on National Geographic Explorer - an account of 76 days lost at sea in an inflatable raft after his small sloop capsized just 6 days from port.
    I love true adventure stories.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Two books I've read in the last couple of months that I beg everyone to read are by Robin Sharma. One's called "The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari" and the other is "Who Will Cry When You Die?." Please, please read these books, they have so much useful, necessary information and are so uplifting and empowering (they are not religious books, if you're thinking that...but, they are good for religious folks, too...they're for everyone!!). Anyway, these books speak volumes in small books. Please read them.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

I would concur with not reading Marley and Me at work - in the early chapters you might guffaw into the mike, and then have to explain things! It's not sad until far later in the book ... but it's a great book!

I'm currently reading a book called "Souled American: How Black Music Transformed White Culture ..." and so far, it's really about how inextricably linked both "sides" of the issue are. It's quite interesting.
    I've Been Frosted

I've read Marley and Me and loved it!I bought it to see if Marley was as bad as Lacey was as a pup. Marley wins.
    I also read The Dog Listener and thought it was a wealth of information.
    I have Chicken Soup for the Soul, the dog lovers version, and can't find time to read it.
    A few years back I read Miraculous Pet Recoveries, a book I got because of RB Mandy. It was very touching.
    I'm not much of a book reader, but when one comes out I just have to read, I do. Right now I'm struggling to catch up with my Dog and Cat Fancy Magazines.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

I read Ceasar Millan's book, but after seeing what happened on the tv show I don't especially favour him anymore.
    I have Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, looks prety good so far.
    Love to reread Jack London's "Call of the Wild"

Quote Originally Posted by mike001
    I read Ceasar Millan's book, but after seeing what happened on the tv show I don't especially favour him anymore.
    I have Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, looks prety good so far.
    Love to reread Jack London's "Call of the Wild"
    Can you tell me what you saw on the show that you didn't like?

Call of the Wild is a great book. It's a bit sad. I read it recently because it's considered a classic and we never read it in school.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06