Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The Book Thread

I just started "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett.

I can't fathom such deep racial divisions but my mom definitely can. I'd say I've had a pretty sheltered life.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    I just started "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett.

I can't fathom such deep racial divisions but my mom definitely can. I'd say I've had a pretty sheltered life.
    We're going to see the movie on Wednesday. I loved the book Plan to read it again - soon.

Elyse - when I lived in Norfolk, Virginia, 1963-64, I worked at a Catholic Hospital. Peds and Ob was not segregated, but the adult Med-Surg unit was. I was aghast, but the Nuns said it was because of the patients, not hospital policy. I also noted the separate restrooms and bubblers (water fountains) around the city. I was not used to this, having been raised in New England.

Just downloaded "The Help" to my Kindle - will start on it in the next day or so!
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Citizen U.S.A. - A 50 State Road Trip by Alexandra Pelosi.

This is the companion book to the HBO documentary of the same name. Ms. Pelosi visited all 50 states and attended naturalization ceremonies to meet brand-new citizens and find out why they chose America as their home.

Really fascinating

I just started Water for Elephants. Saw the movie first but I'm excites about reading the book .
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

After seeing the movie, I started The Help, second reading, on Friday evening. 444 pages later - I just finished it. It's just as good the second time - maybe better after seeing the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    After seeing the movie, I started The Help, second reading, on Friday evening. 444 pages later - I just finished it. It's just as good the second time - maybe better after seeing the movie.
    I'm about half way through it.

Next up: Savannah Breeze, by Mary Kay Andrews. My mom's book group is reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

The Chicago Public Library has a program called "One Book, One Chicago" where they pick an appropriate book and it is read by students and book groups, discussion sessions at the library and that sort of thing. Sort of an offshoot of Oprah's book club, I think but more classics than new books. The one for fall 2011 is The Adventures of Augie March, by Saul Bellow.

One of the books on our local high school's summer reading list is called Stiff: Curious Lives of Human Cadavers. I have a friend from church who read it after her son read it, and she said it's surprisingly funny.

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Quote Originally Posted by Pinot's Mom View Post
    Just downloaded "The Help" to my Kindle - will start on it in the next day or so!
    When you get an e-book -- do you get the entire book, as you would if you had the actual book? My copy of "The Help" has a note from the author and discussion questions in the back. Do you get the "extras" too- if it had a table of contents, acknowledgements, etc. I read "In the Garden of Beasts" and it had pages of footnotes, some of which had additional information or references that added to the whole story. Can you make the text larger?

Until Tuesday: A Wounded Warrior and the Golden Retriever Who Saved Him by Luis Carlos Montalvan.

Returning home after two tours of duty in Iraq, former U.S. Army Captain Luis Carlos Montalvan's physical injuries and post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) turn his life into a nightmarish existence. An email with a subject of "WWP and Puppies Behind Bars" alerted him to possible relief with the assistance of a service dog. This is his story but it is also the story of Tuesday, the intelligent, extensively trained but heartbroken golden retriever, who is chosen to become his service dog and constant companion.

True story - you will laugh and cry. Tuesday was partly responsible for the Service Dogs for Veterans Act, Senator Franken's first piece of legislation.

I just finished "Savannah Breeze" -- it's kind of like a chick-flick in a book! It's fun!

And Grace, I re-read "Our Daily Meds" and it made me just as mad as the first time !

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Recently finished non-fiction -

Our Daily Meds: How the Pharmaceutical Companies Transformed Themselves into Slick Marketing Machines and Hooked the Nation on Prescription Drugs by Melody Petersen.

I will never look at drug advertising again without remembering what I read.

Bringing this old thread up again because I loaned out my copy of "Our Daily Meds" and never got it back. A few weeks ago I attended a very interesting nursing continuing education program on prescription drug use and abuse, which got me thinking about the book I no longer had. I bought another copy and I'm reading it again. One of the nurses at the CE program recommended to me "Selling Sickness" by Moynihan and Cassels. I got that through my university library (one reason I love being an alumna!).

The next book for my mom's book club is "Moloka'i" by Alan Brennert. It's about a a 7 year old girl who is diagnosed with leprosy and sent to a settlement, away from her family, in Hawaii in the 1890s. I read and liked it. What I liked about it was the history of Hawaii from the 1890s until statehood. It's quite long and detailed which is why they're taking two months to read it (no meeting in December). I don't think I could read it again, though because it is very sad in some spots.

The fall 2012 book for the "One Book, One Chicago" program is called "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak. I haven't read it, and I don't know anyone who has.

I have Barack obamas book to read,I won a package of books,including this and James Patterson kill Alex cross,looking forward to reading both
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Just finished reading the Duck Commander Family by Willie and Korie Robertson.

It's the story of the family that runs a duck call company featured on the A&E program, Duck Dynasty.

A fast read and a little history as to how they got to where they are with the faith of god, family and a little hard work.

--------------------------

Also read Race to Dakar by Charley Boorman.

The account of a guy who has always dreamt of racing in the 'World's Toughest Race".

Funny and a little look into what it takes to prep and race a motorcycle from Paris to Dakar.

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    I would love to read "Memoirs of a Geisha". I'd also like to read "The Great Gatsby" again. Read it in high school and again in college because it was assigned - I'd like to read it again, just because. I just finished "The Last Juror" by John Grisham, which I got at Half Price Books

I also have a book on diagnosis and treatment for autism spectrum disorders that I need to read for work. Part of my job involves reviewing rehabilitation therapy services for medical appropriateness, and I need to learn more about autism, especially about treatments.
    Oh my goodness, I still have not re-read "The Great Gatsby", and it's now 3 1/2 years since I posted about it! But it is coming out as a film again with Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire. I'd like to re-read it before the film comes out. I'd like to see the Robert Redford film again too.

For those of us with an interest in all things medical, 2 more books. I have not read either of them yet, but wiil - soon.

1. Happy Accidents: Serendipity in Major Medical Breakthroughs in the Twentieth Century by Morton A. Meyers, M.D.

2. Shakespeare's Tremor and Orwell's Cough - The Medical Lives of Famous Writers by John J. Ross, M.D.

Have any of you read any of the Louise Penny books? Mysteries set in a tiny town in Quebec. I have never read anything like them. Bought the first in the series, and by page 10 I was hooked - ordered all the rest that were out at that time. Her most recent one was last August. Anxiousl waiting for the next due out the end of August.

If you read them, you need to start with the first one, Still Life. You can read about it here - http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/stil...=9780312948559