Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The Book Thread

Right now I'm reading "Finders Keepers"
    I'm halfway through it and its really good!
    I can't really explain things very well so here's the link for you to check out yourselves.

Setting out on the "vacation of a lifetime" Marissa Chabot is well-provisioned with sunblock, rum and a stack of good books. Being one of the founders of Finders Keepers, the successful, high-tech "soul-mate matching service," she knows that vacation romances are hopeless.

When Linda Bartok—tall, dark and beautiful—sweeps her off her feet anyway, Marissa yields to the magic of a storybook rescue, moonlit walks on the beach and longed-for whispers of passion. Though it hardly seems possible that the Amazonian, adventurous Linda could be truly interested in a desk-bound computer geek, the most erotic encounters of Marissa's life complete her surrender.

Vacations end. Real life resumes. Waiting for the phone to ring, Marissa wonders if what she had seen in Linda's eyes could have possibly been true. Was it just a vacation romance? Or was she going to end up losers weepers?
    Karin Kallmaker books
    "To all the dogs I've loved before...Who traveled in & out my door...I'm glad you came along...I dedicate this song to all the dogs I've loved before"

Am I the only one that uses the public library? LOL...if I bought half the books I read, I would be broke! And, the half price shops are a true bargain, but, it is often hard to find newer material there.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic
    Am I the only one that uses the public library? LOL...if I bought half the books I read, I would be broke! And, the half price shops are a true bargain, but, it is often hard to find newer material there.
    LOL LOL Good point! It's been so long since I've been to a library...I really should find one nearby and start going because you're right...I spend way to much $$ on books, and they're starting to take over the house! *snicker*

Half Price Books is a dangerous place to go, but definitely a bargain. I try to limit my trips there since I end up buying a basket full of books everytime I go. Luckily the closest HPB is about 30 - 40 minutes away, so I have to actually plan to go there. *sigh* I have found lots of new material at that HPB, but they could be different everywhere you go. I just picked up Morrigan's Cross last time I went, and that's a relatively new book.

**hugs**

I use the public library often. Whenever I notice a new book on sale while I am grocery shopping at Kroger, I come home and reserve it at the online library site. I usually have it within the week If it is not available at our county library, I make an interlibrary loan request and there has never been a book that the library has not been able to locate for me. The public library is an invaluable resource!!

I often buy copies of books that I really like and want to read again - my favorite place to look is half.com

As for libraries - I LOVE going to the public library also - it has been a haven for me since I was a young girl. I love the smells, the sounds and the atmosphere

Quote Originally Posted by Cincy'sMom
    I haven't read the third book you listed, but the first two are excellent choices!!

I just finsihed Laurien Bereson's latest Raining Cats and Dogs. I am now reading Janet Evanovich, Two for the Dough.
    I LOVE Janet Evanovich. I think she's a fabulous writer, and I love the Stephanie Plum series.

Right now, I'm only reading for classes. Currently, it's "Oral History" by Lee Smith, along with textbooks. I started reading "Running With Scissors" but I didn't have time.
    ~Sara, Daisy, Jessie, Jake, & Jackson

<3 Gone but never forgotten <3
    {Benjamin, Russell, Chester, Dexter, George Harrison, & Leeroy} {O.D.} {Trey} {John-Paul & Earl}

I go to the library once per week but I still buy books. The bookstore is like a drug for me. I can't walk past it without going inside. And once I'm inside I have to buy a book. I have books all over the place waiting to be read.

I love books so much, I'd marry them if they asked me. I especially love the smell of books. MMMMMM...good!

That said, Marley & Me was an awesome book. I am reading The Five People You Meet In Heaven. Easy read and good so far.

Did anybody read The Plague Dogs? I read about it on Dogster. It's by the author of Watership Down (which I loved). I think it's not the best book for all ages (it deals with dogs escaping from a science lab).

I haven't read it yet but will begin it shortly.
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

Quote Originally Posted by sirrahbed
    I am currently reading "Memoirs of a Geisha" for the 2nd time and enjoying it very much. From what I have read in reviews, the historic facts are pretty accurate except for some of the license taken as a novel.

This book is the story of a small girl and her sister who were both "sold" into a life as Japanese geisha. The descriptive language is so very interesting to read. The book follows the life of Chiyo/Sayuri, the little girl. It reads as though it is an actual memoir of an old woman recounting her life to a college professor. The story spans from pre-WWII to the modern day.
    I read this book recently and I loved it, too! I was sad when it was over!

I'm not really reading anything right at the moment, but I'm going to start Pride and Prejudice tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by elizabethann
    Did anybody read The Plague Dogs? I read about it on Dogster. It's by the author of Watership Down (which I loved). I think it's not the best book for all ages (it deals with dogs escaping from a science lab).

I haven't read it yet but will begin it shortly.
    I read it years ago...I think I liked it but I don't remember it too well. If I remember right, it is sad but there is also a lot of humor in the book.

Blood and Chocolate- I 1/2 way through, want to finnish before I see the movie.
    Mirror Mirror- the last by Gregory Maguire for me to read (besides Lost)
    Some other vampire book (checked out, haven't started readingit. It is black with someone holding an apple on the cover.

Niño & Eliza

I have read some light books recently (Sue Grafton and Sophie Kinsella), which I really enjoy at bedtime. But I have finally digged out some of John's old books and is now reading "Surely, you're joking, Mr. Feynman", by Richard Feynman. It's really very good, you should check it out!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    I have read some light books recently (Sue Grafton and Sophie Kinsella), which I really enjoy at bedtime. But I have finally digged out some of John's old books and is now reading "Surely, you're joking, Mr. Feynman", by Richard Feynman. It's really very good, you should check it out!
    Feynman is my HERO!

I hope you have "What Do You Care What Other People Think?". It is the follow up to SYJ!

He was a character and real smart dude!
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

I would love to read "Memoirs of a Geisha". I'd also like to read "The Great Gatsby" again. Read it in high school and again in college because it was assigned - I'd like to read it again, just because. I just finished "The Last Juror" by John Grisham, which I got at Half Price Books

I also have a book on diagnosis and treatment for autism spectrum disorders that I need to read for work. Part of my job involves reviewing rehabilitation therapy services for medical appropriateness, and I need to learn more about autism, especially about treatments.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

How odd... you and John liking the same author!!

I have not come across "What Do You Care What Other People Think", but there are some Science books - guess they are a bit heavy for me to read.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by elizabethann View Post
    The bookstore is like a drug for me. I can't walk past it without going inside. And once I'm inside I have to buy a book. I have books all over the place waiting to be read.

I love books so much, I'd marry them if they asked me. I especially love the smell of books. MMMMMM...good!.
    Nice to hear that there is another bookaholic out there. I sniff my books too I especially love the smell of shiny papered coffee table books. It's heaven!

Quote Originally Posted by elizabethann View Post
    I read the Plague Dogs some time ago and I really enjoyed it. Very much along the lines of Watership Down. There was an animated movie made of it that ended horribly - I was aghast! Book's ending was much better.

Right now I'm reading Isabel Allende's "Paula". It is excellent!

I'm a bit compulsive about my reading and keep lists of the books I would like to read, the books I would like to own if I don't have them already AND the books I have read. I'm nuts!

When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I haven't started it yet, but I bought Adrift, by Steven Callahan to read on the train when I go on vacation. His story was featured on National Geographic Explorer - an account of 76 days lost at sea in an inflatable raft after his small sloop capsized just 6 days from port.
    I love true adventure stories.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~