Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The Book Thread

The Book Thread

I got a gift card from Wal Mart as one of my Christmas presents. I went there on my break and bought three books. Can't wait to get started on them. I thought it would be fun for us to share what we're reading and maybe even give links to the books.
    I bought Caeser Milan's. I think he is so great with dogs! I love watching his show and have learned a lot. think I'm going to read that one first.
    http://cesarmillan.securesites.net/p...b23d2daa52c243

The next one is Marley and Me. I've heard it's really good but also sad so I won't be reading that one at work.
    http://marleyandme.com/

And the last one is From Baghdad with Love. It's about a soldier who rescues a puppy and their story from then on.
    http://www.amazon.com/Baghdad-Love-M.../dp/1592289800

So, what are are reading?

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

I haven't read the third book you listed, but the first two are excellent choices!!

I just finsihed Laurien Bereson's latest Raining Cats and Dogs. I am now reading Janet Evanovich, Two for the Dough.

susan conant has a series of dog world centered mysteries that i love. hard not to like stories with dogs named rowdy and kimmie.
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

Right now I am re-reading Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott and just finished The Old Curiosity Shop By Charles Dickens.

I read mainly classics with a couple of exceptions. I am a huge fan of Anne Rice. And if there is something in particular that catches my eye by any modern author whether known to me or not I will usually give it a shot.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

Up North. Where all your troubles freeze and fall off.
    I've read Marley and me. *note* if you're sensitive I would suggest not reading it before bed.

My favourite book I read rcentally was Sister to the Wolf. It was really good. I just finished LEO a greyhounds tale. It's AWEsome. Even if you're not addicted to greyhounds you'll probably like it. ( I'm so proud of my amazing book, my mom ordered it online and 15% went to greyhound rescue and I got it autographed my Cindy Victor )

On boxing day my grandma gave me a book "how to live with your neurotic dog" It's fictional, and really funny, great for laughs. It's a good one to read before bed. Here's a quote from the chapter "Sleeping routine"

"DON'T let your dog interfere with your sleep schedual. If he wakes you up often, go sleep on the couch. "

That's the only sentence I remember and I'm too lazy to go upstairs and get it.
    STILL AVAILABLE BY E-MAIL

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Two books I've read in the last couple of months that I beg everyone to read are by Robin Sharma. One's called "The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari" and the other is "Who Will Cry When You Die?." Please, please read these books, they have so much useful, necessary information and are so uplifting and empowering (they are not religious books, if you're thinking that...but, they are good for religious folks, too...they're for everyone!!). Anyway, these books speak volumes in small books. Please read them.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

I would concur with not reading Marley and Me at work - in the early chapters you might guffaw into the mike, and then have to explain things! It's not sad until far later in the book ... but it's a great book!

I'm currently reading a book called "Souled American: How Black Music Transformed White Culture ..." and so far, it's really about how inextricably linked both "sides" of the issue are. It's quite interesting.
    I've Been Frosted

I've read Marley and Me and loved it!I bought it to see if Marley was as bad as Lacey was as a pup. Marley wins.
    I also read The Dog Listener and thought it was a wealth of information.
    I have Chicken Soup for the Soul, the dog lovers version, and can't find time to read it.
    A few years back I read Miraculous Pet Recoveries, a book I got because of RB Mandy. It was very touching.
    I'm not much of a book reader, but when one comes out I just have to read, I do. Right now I'm struggling to catch up with my Dog and Cat Fancy Magazines.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

I read Ceasar Millan's book, but after seeing what happened on the tv show I don't especially favour him anymore.
    I have Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, looks prety good so far.
    Love to reread Jack London's "Call of the Wild"

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen

I'm currently reading a book called "Souled American: How Black Music Transformed White Culture ..." and so far, it's really about how inextricably linked both "sides" of the issue are. It's quite interesting.
    ooo...that does sound like an intresting read!
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    I received a $50 gift card for E-Books from my boss. Right now I'm reading Stephen King's "On Writing." I also downloaded Eragon and am looking forward to reading that one too. $50 means I can get a LOT of E-Books! Yippee!

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

I just finished "The Lynne Truss Treasury" after reading her "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" last year.

Have just started on "A Complicated Kindness" by Miriam Toews.

Reading Truss and then Toews balances British comedy with Canadian semi-autobiographical - though Toews throws in a teenage-type zinger quite frequently. This is her first novel, and won an award...it's about Nomi and her dad Ray who live on a Mennonite colony in southern Manitoba. The mom, Trudie, left two weeks after the sister, Tash, did.

Interesting look at the culture, where Nomi calls the pastor "The Mouth."
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

What we're reading

Somewhere on Pet Talk there is an excerpt from "From Baghdad With Love" taken from Reader's Digest. I loved the excerpt - except that it gave me the Pet Talk Leaky Eye Syndrome when the man and the dog get back together.

I'm reading "The Innocent Man" by John Grisham. (It is non-fiction.) So far it has given me a lot to think about, especially about crime, guilt and innocence and capital punishment. I like John Grisham's writing a lot.

Karen, I'll have to get "Souled American" - sounds very interesting!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I also think "Souled American" sounds interesting--I'll check it out.

Has anybody read Barack Obama's book The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream ? I plan to get it this week.
    Spoiled child, bad
    Spoiled cat, good

I'm reading Picture Perfect by Jodi Picoult right now.
    I had to decide between it and Pride and Prejudice, which I've been putting off for a while now -- well, I guess I'll put it off more.