Thread: I need help! Baby has some issues.

I need help! Baby has some issues.

I am going to post this in this section, because I want people to see it.

Well.. I think it may be 'food aggression' that is playing a part in it.

Let me first say that Baby has never shown any sort of sign of aggression at all the entire time we have had her. We have had her since July. She came from an unknown background (or unknown by the person we rescued her from) and she was pregnant. She had 3 puppies by c-section in August. We have a 3 lb. chihuahua and she has been around him the entire time we have had her and she has never once shown any aggressive tendencies towards him. She usually licks him as a matter of fact.
    She barks when someone is walking their dog down our road and she sees them from our window, but other than that, like I said, she's never been aggressive.

My dog Baby first started out this morning when we took the dogs out to potty in the back yard. Baby was eating and one of my moms weiner dogs went over towards her and Baby went after her. Thankfully my SO was out there and she yelled at her to quit, and she stopped in her tracks before she did anything.

Later on, we were feeding them some hamburger buns that we bought and didn't use so they didn't get old and our chihuahua had a piece of bread that he didn't want so he laid it down. Baby came over towards it and sat down kind of near it, and then Deebo decided he wanted it again. He tried to eat it and Baby growled at him and walked towards him.. I told her to sit her a$$ down and she did.

Then later on after we had let all of the dogs out to go potty again, we went and put Morgan on her tie out. A few seconds after I walked in the house, I heard a dog hollering and of course I went out there. Morgan was the only one hunkering down and acting like she was scared but had no bite marks or anything on her. Baby is the only one that could have done anything because the other dogs weigh 3 lbs., and the dachshunds weigh 12-16 lbs. a piece. I don't know what started it or anything like that because I turned my back and walked in the house to bring their water bowl out there.

Now I know you are all going to say after these instances why did we let them outside together again, but my SO and I didn't do it. We had gone to the store to get a few things and my parents turned them all out in the back yard...
    We had just got back from the store and were getting the groceries in from outside and on one of the trips back to the car I heard a dog yelping.. I put the stuff back in the car and we both went running to the back yard to see what the commotion was about..
    None of the dogs were around Annie (my moms other weiner dog), and she was walking towards the rocking chairs just yelping her head off. As soon as we opened the back door she came running in, still squealing. My SO tried was still standing outside and Baby came running from the part of the yard where Morgan was on her tie out to see why Annie was yelping. Considering that, I don't know which one is the one that did it. But Annie had 2 tooth holes in her "thigh" on one of her back legs. One of them was kind of deep, and the other one was basically just a scratch. I can't say that it was Baby since I wasn't here and didn't see what was happening.

I didn't know that an almost 3 year old dog just all of a sudden "turned on" like this. I thought usually it showed up earlier than that if they were going to show signs of it. She has been around Morgan since Morgan was around 10 weeks old.
    She has been around Annie and Bailee constantly from about mid October and has never ever tried to harm either one of them until now.

What should I do, or what can I do?? I'm very worried. I don't want a dog that acts like this, and since she has always been the sweetest dog I've ever met until today, it's really starting to worry me.
    Baby IS spayed. Morgan is not.. And my moms 2 dachshunds are also spayed.
    Last edited by molucass; 12-23-2006 at 02:55 PM.

Maybe Baby needs to have a vet check up to rule out anything medical. Sometimes dogs act up when there is something wrong! I hope you find out what's going on with Baby soon so you know how to fix the problem.

I agree with Sanford 8916 about checking out a medical reason first. It could be food aggression or it could be that she was just having problems with so many other dogs being around (your mother's two I assume are not usually there).

I don't want to seem like a worriwart but I would have some concerns with you soon bringing a newborn infant into a home with a dog that is now giving you some concerns. I would surely watch her carefully and separate her from any dogs whenever you aren't present. I know that is almost silly advice as I am sure you will do that.

When one adopts a dog with an unknown past (as I did with Ripley) there are always concerns. Fortunately I have never (in three years) seen anything worrisome. That said, if I had real worries with how he related to Bella, I would have had to do what was in Bella's best interests. Thank God I didn't have to. I am sending you big (((hugs))) because I know you just want one big happy family and I am sure that the stress of being *slightly overdue* is not helping at all. (My own son was 16 days late! )

I agree about watching the baby. With any dog or any pet, I would never let a animal in the face of a baby. They have had in the news about even a 6 week old puppy, trying to nurse they think, eating off the toes of a baby what was in a carrier. And its the parents fault- they left the baby in a carrier verses a crib... Understanding that a baby doesnt smell like a person, act like a person etc is totally vital..

Oh believe me.. No dog would ever come before my child.
    Anything I have to do to insure the safety of her will happen.

Baby must have just woken up on the wrong side of the bed yesterday because today she's acting normal again and isn't acting like a scrooge like she was yesterday.. However, we aren't taking any chances and are keeping a very close eye on her.