Thread: new dog

new dog

My daughter has allergies, and I would like to get a dog. I have heard of dogs called labradoodles and goldendoodles that are supposed to be good as far as allergies are concerned. Does anyone know anything about them? Any info would be much appreciated.

As a general rule, the breeds you mention are bred for money with little or no concern for the genetic health of the puppies. This means that while you may find what you think is the perfect puppy - you may find that as it gets older it has hip dysplasia, which can be crippling and expense to repair and other crippling or deadly genetic issues.

There are several AKC recognized breeds that are recommended for allergy sufferers and many ethical breeders that are just as concerned with the puppies genetic well-being as they are the "look" of the dog. Poodles come in three different sizes and are very smart dogs, considered easy to train and generally wonderful with children. Yorkshire terriers, Bichons, and Portugese Water Dogs are also great dogs that are usually good for allergy sufferers.

I think that you will find that a puppy of one of these breeds from an ETHICAL breeder will be comparable in price to a "designer" mix.

where do you live? I can post some mixes you may be interested in here from petfinder. please do not buy from a breeder. people who breed mixes are known as backyard breeders who simply want money and don't care about the dogs' conditions. let me know what I can do to help so you can adopt a mix that fits your family. It's hard finding dogs that are good for allergies as poodles and goldens shed A LOT, though.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Quote Originally Posted by luvofallhorses
    It's hard finding dogs that are good for allergies as poodles and goldens shed A LOT, though.
    Actually poodles do not shed much, but I can certainly attest that goldens do . I would also recommend trying to find a poodle mix or one of the other similar low shedding breeds such as bichons etc at a rescue or shelter. Please do realize of course that there is never a guarantee that an allergy sufferer won't still have problems with a lesser shedding dog, but there is a better chance. Best wishes in your search
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by K9soul
    Actually poodles do not shed much, but I can certainly attest that goldens do . I would also recommend trying to find a poodle mix or one of the other similar low shedding breeds such as bichons etc at a rescue or shelter. Please do realize of course that there is never a guarantee that an allergy sufferer won't still have problems with a lesser shedding dog, but there is a better chance. Best wishes in your search
    I agree- and with any mix, you can get a combination of those in the genetics. Both breeds are many genetic disorders- putting both together seems like a suicide mission as far as health.
    I agree totally with the Bichon, or even a "pure bred" poodle- but do not believe a mix could help the problem of allergies.
    As far as treatment of allergies or asthma- my daughter had several when she was younger. Stilll to this day, but not the dog hair, just dander. A allergiest we went to said to get a little bowl put some regular " listerine" delute over half with warm water, dip in a wash cloth and wring it out, and wipe the dogs down every two weeks. It worked- the dander allergy stopped. Other than that, I just kept the shepherds clean.= and I had alot of them! Considering at one point I thought I would have to make a very hard decission of placing my dogs with other shepherd people, to see results in less than a week, it really helped. Shedding breeds are more prone to dander as it gets trapped in their coat. Another idea they said at the time was a greyhound, or whippet. Short coated, easy to keep the dander down. ( my heart belonged to shepherds at the point, and this did not come to pass..). Also feeding a good digestable diet, with little or no corn will lower the dander, and the improved nutrition will help the dog hold the coat, and make it a healthier coat to start with..