Thread: I need some advice, please!

Question I need some advice, please!

I have had my 16 month (we think) Jack Russell Terrier for about 2 and a half months now. I absolutely love her and she is finally getting accustomed to my house! However, there is one minor problem and I am hoping someone can offer some advice.
    Stitch (my dog) never really goes to the bathroom in the house, however, for the last few weeks she does have an "excited" pee. I take her out 3-4 times a day and she always goes when I take her out. She actually pees 2 or 3 times, but only a little bit at a time. Never a significant amount. Then she will come in and play with my brother and "sprinkle" on the carpet. It is not substantial, but I don't understand it. I mean, she just went outside! It is only when she gets excited- she doesn't do it all the time.
    I don't want us to stop playing with her because we got her from a rescue and we believe that she was neglected or maybe even abused. She loves playing with everyone too.
    Any advice? Any thoughts on why she only sprinkles when I take her out when she has been in her crate for like 6 hours? Please help! Thank you so much!

I would have her checked for a urinary tract infection. Even if its mild it can cause her to loose control as the acids are too high. Its a easy test at the vet, and then they will put her on antibiotics.

The first thing that comes to mind is the possibility that you're not allowing her enough time to completely empty her bladder before taking her back inside.

Another possibility is a Urinary Tract infection.
    To train a dog you have to think like a dog!

After she sees the vet to rule out or cure a UTI, a little cranberry goes a long way. I give my females this daily. It helps to move all the urine and since I started adding this years ago, I havent had UTI in a dog in years.. ( and years..)What she doesnt need she will pass. You could even just give her a half a capsule daily. Broken in two meals. You can get them anywhere- even walmart.

We usually go for a long walk as soon as I get home from work. I never rush her to finish. She is usually dragging me in the house. Heck, I live in Florida so I love to be outside this time of year.
    I don't know if her previous owner (it was a puppy mill) corrupted her in some way. I will have the vet check her for a UTI when I take her there next month. Thanks for the advice.

It's not that you're rushing her. She's probably so busy enjoying her walk that she just doesn't take the time to completely empty her bladder. In a puppy mill situation there is seldom a need to learn to empty the bladder completely as they go right in their cages. You're fortunate she doesn't soil her crate.

Peeing often and in small amounts is usually the first and most obvious sign of a UTI too.

Good luck, I hope it goes well and she just has to learn to relieve herself completely before going back inside.
    To train a dog you have to think like a dog!

Quote Originally Posted by steelergrl
    We usually go for a long walk as soon as I get home from work. I never rush her to finish. She is usually dragging me in the house. Heck, I live in Florida so I love to be outside this time of year.
    I don't know if her previous owner (it was a puppy mill) corrupted her in some way. I will have the vet check her for a UTI when I take her there next month. Thanks for the advice.
    Absoultely first and foremost get her checked for a UTI.

There is something called "excitiable urination" whereby some dogs will tinkle a bit when they get over-excited. If the UTI turns up negative, I would agree with Applesmom about the dog being too busy on the walk to fully empty. Your best bet then to control the situation is to play with the dog on a hard-floor surface where cleaning up the tinkles will be a breeze and no odor will be left behind.

Many dogs outgrow the excitable urniation, and over time, you may see it go away.

However, I think a UTI is probably your culprit.
    MACH Aslan RE, MX, MXJ, EAC, EJC, OCC, Wv-N, TN-N, TG-N, R-SN, J-SN, R2-CL, CGC, TDI, FFX-AG (five year old sheltie)
    Jericho OA, NAJ, R1-MCL, CGC, FFX-AP (three year old sheltie)
    Laika NAJ, CGC (nine year old retired American Eskimo)

I've been defrosted.

Red face Advice

If i was u, i would leave ur dog out in the backyard for an half an hour and also play wit ur dog so she wont be alone and she will have tome to go to the bathroom!

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom
    After she sees the vet to rule out or cure a UTI, a little cranberry goes a long way. I give my females this daily. It helps to move all the urine and since I started adding this years ago, I havent had UTI in a dog in years.. ( and years..)What she doesnt need she will pass. You could even just give her a half a capsule daily. Broken in two meals. You can get them anywhere- even walmart.
    One more thing on cranberries, make sure your vet OKs their use. Cranberries are known to interfer with some medications. If your dog is on any medication, check with your vet. It can be life threatening to take cranberries and some meds.
    MACH Aslan RE, MX, MXJ, EAC, EJC, OCC, Wv-N, TN-N, TG-N, R-SN, J-SN, R2-CL, CGC, TDI, FFX-AG (five year old sheltie)
    Jericho OA, NAJ, R1-MCL, CGC, FFX-AP (three year old sheltie)
    Laika NAJ, CGC (nine year old retired American Eskimo)

I've been defrosted.

Thanks

I am taking Stitch to the vet this afternoon to have her checked for a UTI. I will also check with my vet about the cranberries.
    Horsedreamer101- my dog is a little strange about the backyard. When we put her out there, she will sit on the back porch and stare in the house. We have tried putting her out there and nothing happens. She is unlike most dogs.