Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Do you buy Iams?

Sure let me find it and I'll post it.

I was mistaken with the fillers, it was the fish, it was a while back and I didn't remember correctly.

Ahh okay I found it, this page will explain the changes, it appers they did finally get a guarnatee from the company about the fish meal, which replaced the turkey meal they used to use. It was being preserved with ethoxyquin, which is a carcinogenic agent. It appears though that now they have guaranteed not to use it, so I think it's okay to use again.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...duct/907/cat/4

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

Quote Originally Posted by Vela
    Sure let me find it and I'll post it.

I was mistaken with the fillers, it was the fish, it was a while back and I didn't remember correctly.

Ahh okay I found it, this page will explain the changes, it appers they did finally get a guarnatee from the company about the fish meal, which replaced the turkey meal they used to use. It was being preserved with ethoxyquin, which is a carcinogenic agent. It appears though that now they have guaranteed not to use it, so I think it's okay to use again.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...duct/907/cat/4
    Thanks so much for the link!
    Billy and Willy! (2 of my 4)

Wait - so Chicken Soup is good, or not? I thought it was a premium food, and that's what I have been feeding Roscoe and the cats. Is it not a good brand anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by buttercup132
    When Iams was first brought to market it WAS a great brand of dog food. It was good quality with little fillers. Then someone else bought the company and now it's crap and full with fillers and other garbage. Not to mention all the abuse they do testing it on animals.

You wouldn't be able to keep switching their diet like that, they would become extremly sick.

That's another brand that has lots of fillers and is a very cheap brand of dog food.
    We switch brands all the time because we use only the top 30 dog foods. Once you get to the higher quality, you can switch without a problem.

Iams/Eukanuba/Science Diet are all formally good foods, but, were sold out and their formula has become a lot like Dog Chow because of the fillers and they are charging outrageous prices...

We carry a generic form of Hills prescription called Hi-Tor that is about $8.00 a bag cheaper. I don't particularly like it, because, like Hills, it's filled with corn and other yuckies.

I also read another post about cats being carnivores and don't need grains. That's actually not true. They do need some. All carnivores in the wild eat their prey's stomach first to get the grains and fruits and veggies that they need to maintain good health. Granted, they don't need nearly what an herbivore or omnivore needs, but, they still need them. Our cat food all has some fruits, like cranberries or blueberries for urinary tract health, and veggies. We do have a few that have no grains, but, they do have the berries.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Quote Originally Posted by JenBKR
    Wait - so Chicken Soup is good, or not? I thought it was a premium food, and that's what I have been feeding Roscoe and the cats. Is it not a good brand anymore?
    It looks like they worked out the problems, seems to be a good food still.

Quote Originally Posted by My Peanuts
    It looks like they worked out the problems, seems to be a good food still.
    Ok, whew, thank you - I really don't want to switch them again, and they all seem to like Chicken Soup

Chicken Soup is rated in the top 30 by Whole Dog Journal

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Quote Originally Posted by mugsy

Thank you! I was feeding Nutro until I found out that they changed ingredients, so I switched to Chicken Soup - didn't want to have to change again!

Actualy all food that's been afco aprooved has been tested on dogs but that's just a food trial and doesn't mean much except the animal ate it for a few months and most of them didn't die.

And as for carnivores in reality they tear into the belly and tear out the stomach and leave it then eat the other organs first. They really don't want that. It's only little carnivores like cats or foxes that eat the whole thing because they'll eat the whole mouse or whatever in just a bite or two.

why yes, my parents do. Because it's the best at the grocery store. It's all corn and sugar though so I keep trying to switch my dog to Blue.

Niņo & Eliza

Quote Originally Posted by TamanduaGirl
    Actualy all food that's been afco aprooved has been tested on dogs but that's just a food trial and doesn't mean much except the animal ate it for a few months and most of them didn't die.
    Not sure if what they say about Iams is true, but it's MUCH MUCH worse than just feeding the dogs the food. True or not, the descriptions are disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by mugsy

Yes it has been in the past but they later changed the ingredients, removed turkey meal and replaced it with fish meal that was perserved with a known carcinogen, ethoxyquin. There was some issue with this and they have now come back and changed suppliers to provide guaranteed fish meal free of this preservative, thus making it safe to use once again.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

Not sure if what they say about Iams is true, but it's MUCH MUCH worse than just feeding the dogs the food. True or not, the descriptions are disgusting.
    Of course. It's not whether the accusations are true or not, it's the seriousness of the allegations. To hell with guilt or innocence.

Iams equals no good

Hey there, I'm new to this thread - but I was searching through the web trying to find some bad stuff about Iams...because it is totally making my puppy's poop gross! Don't mean to be brutal, but it's like sludge with caramel. We went to the vet and he gave him antibiotics just in case it was parasites/worms/etc. Everything went back to normal, but now that the antibiotics are finished, his poop is the way it was before!

We are gradually changing his food to Nutrience, and I can ALREADY notice the difference in his poop!!!

Do not try IAMS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human
    Of course. It's not whether the accusations are true or not, it's the seriousness of the allegations. To hell with guilt or innocence.
    ok, that one really has me baffled. So you're saying if someone accuses two different companies (one guilty one innocent) of the same very serious thing, then both companies should be suspect because the accusation was serious??

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022