Thread: Newfoundland training tips needed!

Newfoundland training tips needed!

Hi there! i'm a pet sitter who has a challenge this holiday season. I am caring for (among others) two dogs - a 7 yr old pointer male and a 2.5 yr old newfy female. These two it seems are having trouble getting along with each other and general house manners. (i meet them tonight for a first assessment) The first pet sitter told me that she is in over her head on these two and took a couple of my cat sits so that i would take over hte dogs.

So here is what i have been told by the 1st sitter and the owner. The dogs are on leads outside during the day where they can interact a bit but more avoid each other. in the evening they come inside and are immediately crated. Seems the newfie will attack the pointer and the pointer has a peeing problem.

I asked about training and the newfi had some (with treats - the petco way) as a pup but was not kept up with it (becusae of the treats). no answer for the pointer. i got the impression that the owner favored the newfy.

I see all this as training issues. (I have a pointer myself so recognize some of the behaviors) I believe that if i get these dogs in a good training practice - with me daily (no treats) that the owner will be able to follow my instructions.

There are also kids living in the home. no idea of details on them - no tails, i don't care about 'em just kidding!

Am i barking up the right tree with the newfy? do'nt have much experience with them. any suggestions? words of encouragement? commitment paperwork? These dogs are in my care until jan 6. I have the owner's consent to train and work with the dogs. They are also lacking in social skills - but i'm thinking lets work on sit stay first....

THANKS!!

How much time will you have here? I know you know, but the dogs will not see you at first as someone to "accept" as the leader. If this is a regular job, thats one thing, if its couple of days sitter job, its best to leave things as they are. Dog expect routine to keep peace- if you do not have enough time to change to a new routine, all you doing is adding pandamonium..

newfy

I will be there a minimum of twice a day for three weeks. Each visit will be at least one hour so that each dog gets some attention.

Status-quo sees animal control taking them (there have been complaints)- our animal control kills.....so i must at least try.

Well you need to work with them indivually for like a week. To get each to respect you etc. I can not see the situation other than what I read. Its concerning to try and help aggressive dogs on the internet and really should not be done. My concern is you getting hurt. I think if you felt you could do this, you would not have asked. I am reserved in my comments.

You are going to be limited on what you can do. I'd start doing some basic obedience with both dogs, but you won't be able to make much of an impact on the aggression in the short time you have left with them.

The owner is doing so many basic things wrong. Tethering the dogs up (if I understand you correctly) is a perfect way to encourage aggression. Then, the dogs are immediately crated. No wonder there are aggression problems!! Where is the healthy socialization?

You need to work on the owners, even at the risk of losing a client. These owners need to be told in no uncertain terms that their dogs are at risk. The Newfie's aggression is very serious. Especially with such a big dog. And no wonder the pointer has a peeing problem. If I were constantly worried about a giant Newfie attacking me, I'd probably develop a peeing problem too!!

Dealing with aggression issues takes a lot of time - potentially months. And, although you didn't mention it, you are at a bit of a risk dealing with the Newfie if it does have aggression issues. You don't want to get bit yourself.

With the time you have, I'd focus on getting some of the household manners on the dogs. Basic obedience, etc. You can at least make a small impact in that area. Then, when the family returns, I'd really let them know where they are going wrong with these dogs.
    MACH Aslan RE, MX, MXJ, EAC, EJC, OCC, Wv-N, TN-N, TG-N, R-SN, J-SN, R2-CL, CGC, TDI, FFX-AG (five year old sheltie)
    Jericho OA, NAJ, R1-MCL, CGC, FFX-AP (three year old sheltie)
    Laika NAJ, CGC (nine year old retired American Eskimo)

I've been defrosted.

update

I met the entire family last night - dogs, kids, husband and wife....i have a much better grasp of the situation and can now filter out what i was told with what seems to be reality.... I can honestly and truly say that there is absolute hope for all involved!

The tethering is because the fence is only three feet high....even i can get over that!! This can not be changed as it is brand new military housing. (they can't even hang up pictures on the walls according to the rules of the base) However there may be some other solutions that haven't been explored since the people are still adjusting to the area - moved here in Oct.

I saw no aggression in the eyes. shyness and a bit of tentativeness towards this new person (me) from the newfy and some jealousy on her part. The pointer is a goofy looking love. He took to me like glue. he looks as though he has his crotchity moments. I did notice that the owner mom lets them get away with lots.

Just refreshing the training commands will help them immensely. I also got permission to bring them to my fenced yard to let them run a bit and interact there with each other and then slowly introduce them to a couple other dogs to see how it goes. (Maybe in the future they will be able to go to the local dog park - but thats a future dream!)

The kids are older kids and fine around the dogs. One daughter is 12 and she came out and was playing with the dogs and myself. the other daughter has downs syndrome and is about 10 (?) she is more into her music right now than the dogs.

I got good vibes (yes, i'm an instinct person). Although i don't see miracles as to their living situation (yard fence) i do see fun times ahead for all. There is a lot of love there which is a great start.