Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aren't we a little old for this?

Aren't we a little old for this?

Just curious if anyone else has had this sort of reaction. I was being introduced to a group of students more or less my age, when my introducer mentioned that I was 'animal crazy' and totally into my pets, and one of them asked "Aren't you a little old for that stuff?"

This isn't the first time someone has tried to make me feel really loving animals and being very devoted to pets is something one should outgrow, and that things like dogs are not appropriate adult interests. Has anyone else come across this?

It's beside the point, but my favorite part was that the person who said it was wearing a SpongeBob SquarePants shirt.

Exactly! I completely understand.

Those are the kind of people that make me giggle on the inside and it takes a lot not to laugh right then and there.

I totally understand...

Loving pets is not just for a childhood thing- and those of us older, it turns into a passion that lasts our entire lifetime!!!!

borzoimomLoving pets is not just for a childhood thing- and those of us older, it turns into a passion that lasts our entire lifetime!!!!

My thoughts exactly Michelle!!!!! To tell you all the truth I would rather spend time with my Collies than some of the people I know around me.
    Tim ~ Majestic Collies

"Just when you think there are no Angels, a Collie comes into your life"
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take
    but by the moments that take our breath away"

GIVE ME THE HELPLESS, THE LOST, THE HOMELESS LITTLE ONES STRUGGLING TO LIVE; SEND THESE WEAK,
    ABANDONED LIVES TO ME, I OFFER HOPE, CARE, WARMTH AND MOST OF ALL LOVE,

Pledge of a Rescue Worker

Aren't we a little old for this?

Thank you I know I love my time with my babies way more than I with Two Legged Idiots.. Getting to old My &%*#@..
    Quote Originally Posted by MajesticCollies
    My thoughts exactly Michelle!!!!! To tell you all the truth I would rather spend time with my Collies than some of the people I know around me.

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Some people don't know what they're missing. Why on earth would having pets have anything to do with age.
    Today in Walmart I heard one lady say to another, "do you think it would be dumb if I get my cat a Christmas present?" I heard this as I was loading up my cart with yet more presents for the furkids and fish. Then I came home and called Foster and Smith.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

These are the same twits who assume that if you are "into animals" when you are middle aged that you are filling "something missing" from your life. None of them understand the natural connection you feel and that lasts your entire life, but those who have it truly appreciate that gift!

I will trust someones dog alot quicker than people the leash is attached too...No kidding- I actually trust dog people that have the age " under their belts".. They are more capable of understanding compassion, caring and giving of themselves..

If you are "too old" for love, then you are too old to live. Tell them that, next time, as there is no love like the unconditional love a pet will give you.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen
    If you are "too old" for love, then you are too old to live. Tell them that, next time, as there is no love like the unconditional love a pet will give you.

That's a good one. I've never had anyone tell me I'm too old to be soooo involved with my dogs. I've had quite a few people ask why I would want a dog. I gave them every reason in the book I could think of.
    TFT ftwtyvm!

I've Been DEfrosted.

Quote Originally Posted by MajesticCollies

To tell you all the truth,
    I would rather spend time with my Collies than some of the people I know around me.

Oh, MY thoughts, exactly!!
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

My response would be, "You say I'm animal crazy like it's a BAD thing."

Some people just don't get it. I have absolutely NO time for them.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Stupid, stupid people who will never understand our "childish passion for pets"
    I'm so tired of them.

If being "animal crazy" is childish, then I want to be a child forever.
    Lola, the mutt, 2 years old

Anita, the dachshund, 7 years old

"CRAZY" hey?? Well, tell them I am happily crazy!!
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Sophist

It's beside the point, but my favorite part was that the person who said it was wearing a SpongeBob SquarePants shirt.
    *bursts out laughing*!!!!!

Eh, if someone hasn't got time for animals, I haven't got time for them. Our lives as PTers would be better if they just stayed at home watching SpongeBob Squarepants all alone.

Zimbabwe 07/13