Thread: Need some info please

Need some info please

Hi everyone;

I am so sorry that I haven't been on lately but I have been so darn busy that I haven't had much computer time or time for myself actually. I have been lurking here and there but was either too tired or didn't have enough time to post on everyone's thread.
    This weekend should be much easier for me.

But if you would be so kind to give me some info on a spayed female.
    Sweetpea will be going in for her spay on the 20th and I need to know how long does she have her stitches in for and how long before the incision is completely healed. I've heard conflicting stories, so I figured I would come to the experts who have actually been through this with their females.

Thanks guys

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

Its been a while since I had a Cat spayed, but I dont recall that they had to take stitches out.
    I think the stitches disolved after a few weeks.
    We are praying for Dear Sweet Pea, and there will be Pet Angels with her when shes at the Vets to keep her company.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

10 days for stitches (unless they use glue on the incision)

I am not sure what you might consider completely healed, but after that 10 day period the incision usually looks pretty good (I think).

Okay, thanks Gary & Jen.

Yes Jen, I wanted to know how many days it will take before the incision is completely healed.

Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005

When I had Lilith & Vixen spayed it was suppose to be ten days for both just like Jen said. Phoenix was already spayed so I have no idea how long they leave them in here.

Lilith's belly after 10 days was not completely healed but that was because for the first few days she would not leave the stitches alone. She has pulled 3 by the third day. I had to bring her back and have 4 more stitches put in. So for her it was 14 days but after 14 days her belly was pretty well perfect.

Vixen on the other hand was really good with the stitches and didn't touch them. She went back after 7 days and the vet said her belly was healed and she could remove them then but she said it was up to me. If I wanted to wait the 10 days and bring her back at that time then she would remove them then. I waited just to be safe. Vixen's belly was also perfect after 10 days.

Hope that helps a little.

Tomorrow is 8 week pics right??? Remember I am 6 hours ahead of you in time. So you know....

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

If your vet is like mine, then the vet will give you a sheet with instructions to follow. You get the sheet when you pick her up. It will say to limit her activity for 3 to 5 days. That means she should not be running and jumping. Most folks try to keep the cat in a room alone for those few days. A bedroom, and ignore the fact that she WILL jump onto the bed. CATS DO insist on their comforts, as you probably know!

The sheet will also say to limit water intake for a couple of hours, and to limit food intake for a few hours. This is to avoid complications with the anesthesia. (sp?)

All 4 females I have had spayed - over the past 11 years - had stitches that dissolved, so the cat did not have to return to the vet unless there was a problem. No recheck. Just up to me to know if something looked "wrong." Such as swelling, redness. I think that sheet lists what to look for. Either that, or they tell you verbally. But even though you think you have no clue, you do know when a cut is not healing properly.

I usually go by how the wound looks AND how the cat is acting. And sometimes she comes out of "isolation" sooner. Like people, each cat is different. Vita slept for 4 days. Crystal was up and about and ready to charge with the rest of the herd after 24 hours. (No, I didn't let her, she had to wait a few more days.) Vita was about 2 years when she was spayed; Crystal was about 3 months. So age may also be a factor in the healing process.

I never really thought about how long until the cat was totally healed. I just focused on what the vet was focusing on - when the cat could become active again. And I didn't realize this until you asked the question with the focus on the healing.

I hope this helps!

Thank you very much for your replies Michelle and Freedom.

Sweetpea will stay in my room for a few days and yes, she will have dissolving stitches.
    I was able to get a hold of my vet as my main concern was that PeaPod is still nursing off of her now and then. He suggested that I keep them separated for 10 days, then after that it should be fine. But after a few days, I will allow her out of the room under my strict supervision. She will be spayed on Wednesday and Friday will be my last day of work and then I have a week off. So I will be home to watch out for her.

Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005