Thread: My Husky started peeing in the house agian

My Husky started peeing in the house agian

My female husky, Sif, has started peeing and pooping in the house after she has been house trained for over two months now. We have a dog door that she can use freely. Also I used to put her in a crate at night to sleep and she would even go in by herself. Now for the last 3 weeks I haven't been making her go into her "bedroom". She is only messing in the house during the day. Please help!

I don't mean to add this but thought it was funny. She hates the cold weather!! Is that *normal* for a husky?

I will admit the thought of a Husky that doesnt like the cold weather made me giggle. I do not think hypothyroidism runs in huskies, but you could have it checked. The desire to lay in the sun, or get warm when there isnt a obvious reason for it, is one of the signs. Or maybe she just prefers to be inside where there is a good couch.. lol.
    As far as going in the house- considering its only during the day, and I am sure you already had to checked to see if she has a urinary infection ( UTI), maybe you can just keep an eye on her and try to catch her in the act. Watch for leaving the room you are in. If you are gone when this happens- I would either crate her, or contain her like in a room that is small. Maybe if you are gone, you could come home at lunch time to let her out for a little run. The pooping in the house is the strange one. Does she have enough time after she eats to go outside with you there to priase her when she does go? We went through a " spitful" act with femka for a little while. If I took one of the other dogs- she would go find their bowl and go near it.. lol.. My dogs eat in seperate rooms, so just simply shutting the door of the room of the dog I took, solved the problem. ..

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom
    I will admit the thought of a Husky that doesnt like the cold weather made me giggle. I do not think hypothyroidism runs in huskies, but you could have it checked.
    Hypothyroidism is extraordinarily common in huskies. It is the most common hormonal problem in the breed. Classic hypothyroidism symptoms are lethargy, sudden weight gain, poor coat, and seeking out warm places, but there are also about 200 other symptoms that could be related to hypothyroidism. If you get it tested, get a full panel, not a simple t-4 test. That won't tell you anything useful and may miss a problem. My Earle is hypothyroid, but his t-4 levels are perfectly normal! The full panel costs more, but is worth it.

You should get a check-up to rule out a physical cause, like a bladder infection.

You need to go back to treating her like an unhousetrained dog. Train her like she was a puppy. If you can't watch her, she needs to be crated until she's proven herself again. Some dogs are never trustworthy when unsupervised--a very common problem in huskies!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

I'd get her checked for a bladder or urinary tract problem. Ruling that out, start all over with the training, and don't let her out of your sight. The not-liking-cold-weather has me a bit baffled...did she get her winter coat, or does she still have puppy fur? Dogs kept indoors don't seem to develop as dense a coat as outdoor dogs, so she could actually be cold.

Wow glacier- thank you! Hypothyroidism is more active in the breed than they comment on health issues. . They sure never talk about it much. I was going by the behavior more than anything. Hypothyroidism is rampant in sighthounds and some herding breeds as well. Also some spaniels and setters. Its a simple fix- just a pill once or twice a day- but the test has to include the A3,A4 and T3 and T4... Here we send the tests to Michigan state.

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom
    Wow glacier- thank you! Hypothyroidism is more active in the breed than they comment on health issues. . They sure never talk about it much. I was going by the behavior more than anything. Hypothyroidism is rampant in sighthounds and some herding breeds as well. Also some spaniels and setters. Its a simple fix- just a pill once or twice a day- but the test has to include the A3,A4 and T3 and T4... Here we send the tests to Michigan state.
    There is some evidence that huskies, particularly Alaskan Huskies and actual working Siberians, have much lower thyroid function than other dogs. Their thyroid levels usually have to be extremely low before they show symptoms. Some of the Iditarod vets are doing a study on thyroid function in working dogs. My Chum had no symptoms at all until the day he collapsed in harness. His thyroid function is almost non-exsistant and under exertion he simply couldn't keep up, even his heart beat was thrown off by his thyroid problems.

The test should also include TSH(which I think the Michigan State test does). In a classically hypothyroid dog, TSH should be sky high as it tries to kick the thyroid in. In some cases, like Earle's, it's low. The low TSH was our first clue as to what was wrong with Earle; all the other thyroid hormones are normal for him, but without the TSH, his thyroid doesn't know what to do with all the other stuff it produces.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Michigan state includes- the test profile should include Total Thyroxine (T4), Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Free T4 by Dialysis, and Thyroglobulin Autoantibody (TgAA). As well as A3 and A4. Its a good test. And a very good indicator.

Wow thanks! I did already have Sif checked for a urinary tract problem so I'll just go back to square one. As far as her not liking the cold I actually thought it might just be her being a inside dog. I called the vet today and made an appointment for a hypothyroid dog. I've never even heard of that before! I'm so glad now that I mentioned it.

Yea- I know it runs rampant in our sighthounds, had one shepherd that had it, and although its just a mention in the breed standard- the lack of liking cold or not tolerating it is one of the biggest indicators of hypothyroidism. Make sure they do a full paneled test. I posted above what all is included.. WE thought for months Femka was just a " delicate " borzoi- but it didnt sit right with me. Finally the 3rd time I asked the vet they tested her- sure enough!
    BTW- since we put her on the medication- her coat is just beautiful- she is not longer cold, and gained a few pounds she needed. The pills do not make them gain weight- but it does regulate the food intake better. I have posted pictures before of what she looked like when we got her- the difference in her body then and now is flat out amazing. Even her attitude is happier!

alot of dogs will go bk to peeing and pooping in the house,there like kids they will try and see how far they can push ya but u have to be on her tail,they love the attention,always reward your dog and make a huge deal about them going potty outside but absolutly no treat befor only for good behavior.for one day strait or maybe 2 take her out every hour and a halph and befor u take her out ask her loudly and alot DO U HAVE TO GO OUT and then take her out and reward if she goes.if u keep a soda can in the house put some pennies in it and when u catch her doing naughties shake it hard, and firmly say no bad girl and then take her out, or correct the naughty.also give her,her meals and drinks at the same time each day for a while and then 20 min after eating and drinking take her out,she will probly poopy almost every time u take her out if she dont u might want to take her bk out shortly again.puppies poop alot and tend to have a mind of ther own and usualy are noticing everything near them when cars go by they look and everything catches there attention so alot of patience is what its gonna take,i firmly believe your dog has no infection but should be ruled out.ty hun any quest email me at [email protected].

Well I had Sif checked for Hypothyroidism and she doesn't have it. She just doesn't like to be in the cold. Kinda strange for a Siberian Husky but I guess. She is a inside dog so it doesn't affect her that much. As far as peeing in the house I finally got that back to normal. Now she is in heat and is either with me or locked in her kennel. Thanks to everyone for the help.