Thread: Lou Lou has gas- advice please!

Lou Lou has gas- advice please!

It is normal when switching foods for them to have gas? How long should it take before I should be worried that this might not be a good food for her tummy? She went from Nutro lamb and Rice to California Herring and Sweet Potatoes.

Thanks,
    Heather

Her tummy has to adjust - it's normal, give her a few days to adjust, and see how your air quality is ...

Thanks Karen, I figured that but I never know with high maintance Lou Lou. Not only is she high energy, allergies, foot licking, pad issues, bee stings, ear infections, anal glands, she is now a stinky butt! But she is such a lover and cute as can be! We love the good and bad!

Quote Originally Posted by sanford8916
    It is normal when switching foods for them to have gas? How long should it take before I should be worried that this might not be a good food for her tummy? She went from Nutro lamb and Rice to California Herring and Sweet Potatoes.

Thanks,
    Heather
    In switching foods, this usually helps. First fast her a solid 14 hours. So if you fed at 6pm yesterday, wait until 8am the next day of the new food. Do not mix as this makes really a second receipe. Feed only half what you would feed. Adding warm water makes it digest easier in the bowel. ( the water is up to you). Also if you use to feed dry and wet, when switching, only feed the dry for a few days before adding the new wet or using the old wet/canned food.
    Hope this helps.
    Also- solid gold makes a product called seameal. This aids in digestion, but I think its just the change in the foods. Just a thought. A large dog gets a 1/2 teaspoon with both feedings a day. Also read the directions on the new food- it may be less food you would feel. And remember- when you change foods, any retained grains from the old has to pass ( pardon the pun) and why you only feed half when you change over to allow this to leave the uh proper way.
    Keep us posted and good luck. personally I feed what you have changed to to be an improvement..

i would wait a few days,and if she still has gas then it could be a sign of constipation,if they are stinky gas then her belly is upset or again she could be constipated,allow her time to adjust or maybe she has a flu bug try chicken broth over the food sometimes that helps settle the belly.

Thanks guys, she is doing fine now, I put water in with her food for a few days and that seemed to do the trick for her. I think she is doing better with the allergies too being on new dog food and the boots, no more itching or red feet. Thanks for all the help.