Thread: Teaching dogs fire drills****UPDATED***!

Teaching dogs fire drills****UPDATED***!

I was reminded of something tonight in another conversation about fire drills for dogs.
    I knew a older trainer once that did this, and the first time I saw this, it totally amazed me.
    What she would do is have the fire alarm go off by one person pressing the test button- the dogs would jump up started- then she would run to a door calling in a silly happy voice and give cookies at the door. Next time- another door she would go to.. The demonstration I saw was- the alarm went off the dogs immediately would listen for her call, find her fast and go to the door she went too. ( she also kept slip leads at her door...).
    I thought this was amazing and it makes sense. We teach our children how to do a fire drill, and this was the same thing. It also taught the dogs not to panic with the noise and associate it with finding mommy with treats..
    Last edited by borzoimom; 12-11-2006 at 11:18 AM.

That's really cool. It'd be very helpful if a real fire was happening. Our house catching fire is a huge fear of mine.

Jasper
    [Irish Setter]

Thats why she said she did it in such a silly happy voice- so its even more of a fun thing to do. She said, of course in a fire, the stress level is so high the dogs are confused, but this use to work... It was like the dogs learned to quickly follow her whereever. She would tell everyone of her classes this training lessons. I never heard of it being up to use, but if nothing else people and dogs knew what to do.

Hmm... Thats pretty cool.

**** UPDATED!!!! One of the people that attended this class, had two labs- and taught her dogs this drill- well her chimmney caught on fire saturday- but the drill when the alarm went off not ONLY WOKE THE PEOPLE as the dogs came flying in the bedroom looking for the game- saving maybe their lives as well- but got the dogs as well out of the house. They lost their chimmney, the fire they believed caused by creasote.
    Susan told the trainer that the dogs WOKE THEM- LOOKING FOR THE GAME OF YA HOO- HOT DOGS- possibly saving NOT ONLY themselves, BUT THE FAMILY AS WELL!!!!