Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another question about pregnant dog.

Another question about pregnant dog.

Ok tonight I notcied my dog acting more different, whenever we go to pet near her face she turns her head quick and blinks alot like shes afraid or something. almost like it looks like she is afraid we are going to hit her, she is crying alittle off and on and she has milk in her sacs, But she is strill eating and stuff so I dont think she is in labor, on the 27th of november the vet said he thought she was about 35 days along by the xrays. is this normal? and is the twitching ok also?

Call the vet and ask them.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

Well I called the emergceny vet and she said its ok to produce milk up to 2 weeks before delivery but I always thought it came only a few days before, and since she is eating and stuff I highly doubt she is in labor. I dont know if she was playing with the dogs and one might have bit her cheek or something and now she is uncomfortable when we go near to pet her because of it even though there isnt any marks on her face or if she is doing it because she is getting ore cautious with people now that she is getting closer to deliver because we never hit or anything so she cant be afraid and twitching because of that. The vet didnt say anything about the twitching, thats why I wasnt sure what was wrong.

Also I didnt want to run her to the emergency vet if it wasnt anything serious sounding because she has a vet appt tom to see for sure how many pups she is carrying and to see if we can see how far for sure she is, so if it didnt sound to serious I wouldnt feel so paranoid and can wait til tom. because the emergency vet will drain me on money for sure.

Why was she bred?
    I hope she is ok.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

Quote Originally Posted by buttercup132
    Why was she bred?
    I hope she is ok.
    I have explained that in atleast 2 threads already. it wasnt planned and we were waiting til after xmas to get her fixed when I actually would have the money and she ended up getting out and pregnant because she jumped or fence.

anglebow- this is early to be producing milk. Maybe the vet was wrong in how far along she was. Any signs of restlessness, is not normal, and can even be signs of whelp. Also the twitching makes no sense. Unless she is actually in early labor and blinking because she thinks ' yes something is hurting me.." You really need to run her by the vet for a wellness visit.

Also- remember- she needs a oxytocin shot with in 12-24 hours after having the pups. Not only does this let the milk down, but also cleans things out to prevent pyrametia or mastitus.. You can actually loose the mother if this is not done... It also helps the runts gain weight as the milk becomes more calories .. Make sure you do it.
    What food is she eating? she needs alot of calories now. Also during the labor, to keep her blood sugar up, you can make a " mommy cocktail". I take raw egg, molassas or honey, soaked in dog food ( I use bil jac during this time) and she should have this little cocktail about every 2 -3 hours. Mother nature is telling her not to bite down, so that little bit of kibble ( meaning a handful if that) needs to be really soaked in the raw egg. The moloassas is ony like a teaspoon.. ( if that..)

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom
    anglebow- this is early to be producing milk. Maybe the vet was wrong in how far along she was. Any signs of restlessness, is not normal, and can even be signs of whelp. Also the twitching makes no sense. Unless she is actually in early labor and blinking because she thinks ' yes something is hurting me.." You really need to run her by the vet for a wellness visit.

Also- remember- she needs a oxytocin shot with in 12-24 hours after having the pups. Not only does this let the milk down, but also cleans things out to prevent pyrametia or mastitus.. You can actually loose the mother if this is not done... It also helps the runts gain weight as the milk becomes more calories .. Make sure you do it.
    What food is she eating? she needs alot of calories now. Also during the labor, to keep her blood sugar up, you can make a " mommy cocktail". I take raw egg, molassas or honey, soaked in dog food ( I use bil jac during this time) and she should have this little cocktail about every 2 -3 hours. Mother nature is telling her not to bite down, so that little bit of kibble ( meaning a handful if that) needs to be really soaked in the raw egg. The moloassas is ony like a teaspoon.. ( if that..)

Umm well she is eating puppy chow mixed with purina or something and my mom gave her some leftover ham and cabbage and cheese. we also give her canned food mixed with her regular food. She is really filled with milk and they said she can start getting milk up to 2 weeks before and she is due around 2 weeks or less. She isnt really restless I put her in the house lastnight and we slept downstairs with her so I could watch her and she kept jumping on the one couch with my 3 old son and sleeping with him then moved to the one corner of the room to sleep. I have a few pics I took today so you can see how big she is and see if she looks ok.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_0922.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	616.6 KB 
ID:	32299   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_0928.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	419.4 KB 
ID:	32300   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_0930.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	656.1 KB 
ID:	32301   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_0933.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	657.2 KB 
ID:	32302   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_0940.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	634.0 KB 
ID:	32303  

Question- what do you mean you " put her in the house last night"? You do know being pregnant is a serious stress, and she should be in the house all the time... HOney- cabbage for a dog? YOu are lucky she does not have a major upset stomach..

well she is usaully in a special room that we made for the dogs and since she chews and doesnt like it inside our house much we didnt want to put her in right away because she usually wants right back out, yeah well I told her not to give the cabbage to her but she thought it would be fine. she still has been eating and playing so he isnt ready right yet I dont think. When we take her to the vet at 4 my dad will have him check everything and see how many she really has, I dont think she is carrying that many because she doesnt look that big and when we last looks we saw 2 or 3 but there could be more he said, we are keeping her in for good now until the pups are alot older or until we give them to there new homes.

WOW!!! She is Gorgeous!! I just love her coloring!! I know nothing about pregnant dogs, as I have never had one, But she looks ready to explode any minute!! Her teats are huge!!!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

Can she get out of the yard?

She got out of the yard and got pregnant, so yes she can.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

you just stated that she is kept outside, but before you stated this is how she got pregnant!!

Quote Originally Posted by angelbow20
    I have explained that in atleast 2 threads already. it wasnt planned and we were waiting til after xmas to get her fixed when I actually would have the money and she ended up getting out and pregnant because she jumped or fence.
    have you fixed the yard so she cannot escape again?? I am hoping so!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

Alright honey-

Look- I am not going to sit here and tell you how I care for a female dog in whelp. None of that matters other than eduction. However- I will say this- being pregnant is a stress- especially in cold weather- the pups could die, or she could try to go find a warm place to give birth, outside in the elements- cold or not, another dog could hurt her etc. You need to bring her in the house. Make a warm place " in this dog room" for her to have her puppies- even if its a plastic childs swiming pool. Puppy food of what you are feeding is better, but its still lower in protein than adult food with this one. Whatever you do NOW OR NOT give her now, will take its toll on her body.
    Two to 3 puppies my foot- I would easily say 6.. And by keeping her outside is probably why you guys are having pups anyway. After this over, please spay her.
    Remember what I said about care after they are born. I would suggest a better food for this last two weeks and 4 weeks while the pups are nursing. I like Bil jac Select. Add a raw egg to it. She needs to eat 3 times a day as she can not hold that much in her stomach now with so little room. Just guessing- her normal body weight looks about 70 to me, so this pg she should get two cups 3 times a day - ie every 6 hours during the day. If she is less than that normal weight- then adjust. Whatever her normal weight was- you are adding one feeding. Example- if a food says 4 cups a day for a 60 pound dog- half of that is 2 cups- so she would get two cups on the mid day feeding. If her stomach gets upset from over eating, take the mid day feeding down a half cup.
    I am desperately withholding judgement. What matters now is for her and unborn pups, and other things will come after we get through this. Unless you want the pups dead at birth, KEEP HER IN THE HOUSE. Whether she likes it or not. Even if she has to stay with you..