Thread: What to do?

What to do?

3 nights ago, I brushed Abby. She has very silky hair and the only way to get her truly brushed is to use a Furminator on her and brush hard. I typically only do a few strokes at a time and send her away. I was getting some serious hair out of her the other night so I kept going until done. BIG MISTAKE on my part.

She is now terrified of me. She has not slept in my room.... and she's my sleeping buddy curled up next to me every night. Shge runs from me when she sees me approach, and forget me even trying to touch her. She flinches and slips away before I can get close enough (I had no idea she was so quick!) The one time I did catch her, she freaked and ended up hurting herself, so now she's even MORE afriad of me

She won't come for treats or wet food (though she's tempted) and she's thought about playing with the laser light.

What can I do to help her relax and trust me again? I'm half tempted to give her one of Pouncer's valium pills, but part of me feels that would leave yet another bad impression on her. I am utterly devastated that my sweetheart is so afraid of me

Last time she was like this, she hurt her leg while playing with a feather wand and then she refused to play with the feather wand for nearly a year. I can't go a whole year without her loving me! WAAAAAHHHHHH

Any ideas as to what will make her trust me again?

I know what you are going through as I cleaned out Princesses very dirty ears, and I am getting the same reaction.
    How do we telll our Cats that we are doing this for thier own good?
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Spook got really miffed at me when I was trying to clear up the thing on her eye...she hid under the bed for a week
    Talking to her softly and letting her deal with it on her terms helped. Its hard not to over love, but try to let Abby dictate what she can and can't handle. With a few extra treats and some soft gentle words, I think she will be comfortable with you in no time!

Cats have this habbit of overreacting and its difficult to convince them that their way isnt exactly the right way! But time and patence will do wonders

It won't be a year, I promise. As a matter of fact, ignoring her might be the best thing you can do right now, so she can decide when she wants to approach you.

If you are tense or worried she will sense it. Try not to think about it and just go about your business. If you can just relax and not focus on her she may relax too.
    Cathy loves Cocoa Kitty.
    http://cocoakitty.net

Abby is such a sensitive girl. But she'll forgive you. The best advice has been given, ignore her unless she approaches you.

I don't have any advice but the ignoring her and not trying too hard sounds good to me.

From Decker with Love

Oh great, she was starting to come around this afternoon and even let me pet her while on my son's bed for a minute. This was a short-lived reprieve because I was sitting her and she was walking along the bookcase where Pouncer broke his toe and she fell (just like Pouncer did, only she didn't get her foot caught) and now she's currently hiding and running from me WORSE than before. Sigh

She will NOT be afraid of you for a year, like the feather wand. For one thing, she can live a year without a feather wand. She can't possibly live without her meowmie!

Just ignore her. Don't put out food on time, delay it a bit.. so she has to communicate with you to get your attention for feeding. You will find she will come to you most likely when you are sitting or lying down. It will take time but you have feeding time on your side.