Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Older Dogs Need Loving Too *wink wink*

Older Dogs Need Loving Too *wink wink*

And this one especially does. This is the first time I've seen him smile in my three visits to the SPCA. This was taken in the parking lot as we were leaving.

Meet Dasher. I'm not kidding. That's his name. Isn't that appropriate? For some reason, the owner of him and anothter 8 year old black lab, turned them in to the SPCA saying he didn't have enough time for them. Well geez, what happened within the eight years?? I was originally looking at a fluffy chocolate lab but on my second visit, decided to visit with Dasher. The main reason was he looked as sad and empty as I've been feeling. He really touched my heart. We took him to a little play area where he had a good potty, followed by a great scratchout. I'll have to get a video of it because he does them really wild. I could already tell a change in the behavior with just the little time I was there. So, we were filling out the paperwork and the heartworm test hadn't been done on them because when they were first brought in, they were too scared and the employees thought there was a danger of getting bit. I told them I would like to have his test done before I made the adoption. They did the test and I waited. The test came back positive for heartworms. My heart sank. This was Thursday and I honestly didn't know what to do. I told them I didn't know what I'd do if he didn't make it through the treatment. There is a local vet that does all the treatment for free. Well, I thought about him for a day and how sweet he is and decided to give him a chance. I think life is too short and none of us know how long we'll be here. I want him to know what being a cherished dog for whatever amount of time he's allowed on this earth. So, PT prayers will really be requested.

More in next.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

Here he is enjoying his car ride to his forever home.

And meeting Doogie

Already learning how to enjoy my, uh, his bed.

Now this is just too cute.

I think he's going to be a velcro dog. He's right beside my computer chair. He is just one of the sweetest dogs. Even if he doesn't make it through the treatment, at least he'll know he was loved and had a good home. Please pray with all your might that he does. I hope we have some happy years together. EVERYTHING about this feels right. I have no doubts and am not second guessing myself like before.
    Right now, I'm happy and sad at the same time. Today is the first day that I've truly smiled and felt some happiness. Yet I'm on the verge of tears because I'm missing Duke. Tomorrow will be a month since he's been gone. I feel some divine intervention was made with this match so surely he's meant to live through the treatment? I've had too much sadness lately. This is quite a gamble but one I'm more than willing to take.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

That is wonderful you have a vet that can do the treatment for free. Hopefully he will do just fine. Its a good thing it is cold, and he wont spread it without misquitoes..
    He will be in my prayers and he is a distinquished gentlemen!!!!

bless your heart for taking him in, Val. you are an angel. I will send good thoughts and prayers that he makes it through the heartworm treatment.
    (((hugs))) he's such a beautiful boy. how does Doogie like him?
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

another black dog on PT!!! woo-hoo! congrats!
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

AAWWEE!! He just looks like such a sweetheart! I hope he makes it through his treatment. From reading your other posts, I think you are the best person to get him.

Good Luck!!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Up North. Where all your troubles freeze and fall off.
    I'm so glad for you. He looks like such a sweetheart.
    STILL AVAILABLE BY E-MAIL

I'm really happy for you Val. I think Duke would approve of you adopting an older dog. Paws crossed & prayers for Dasher's treatments. He looks like a sweetheart, will look forward to more pics of your new boy!

What a sweet looking man he is, and that smile...WOW! No wonder you felt he really needed to come home with you.

I will be adding my thoughts and prayers that Dasher gets the treatment and shares many wonderful years with you.
    (((HUGS)))
    Anna

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

He is a "dashing" boy Val. Very handsome and he seems to know he is home. Prayers for Dasher. Get well boy.
    Amber: Mom to Connor, Carson, Sadie, Maggie and Grant

Fabulous News Val!!! He is quite a handsome Man!! Dasher looks like he is at home already!! I will be praying that he makes it through his Heartworm Treatment!! You are such an awsome person to take this older boy in!!!Duke would be proud of his mommy!!!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

what a sweet looking boy! i'm sure he'll make it through his treatment! i love his smile!
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

What a sweetie pie. He looks like a playful little happy puppy in that last pic. How are Dasher and Doogie getting along? Doogie seemed pretty laid back in that pic. All fingers, toes, whiskers and paws crossed for successful treatment. I think Duke really had his paw in this one. Good job Duke. You still know exactly what your mommy needs.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

WOW he sure is one handsome boy.. I agree what happened to the first 8yrs of his life when the owner did have the time.. I hope all go's well with his treatments.. Sending good thoughts for that handsome boy..

Oh ~ Dukesdogmom~

The look on " his" face during the ride home and again, seeing those of HIM on that Satin Quilt are so darned heart warming!!

Dashers Facial Expressions are so comforting to see~

Bless You~ for Taking Him into your Heart and Your Home right now~
    and , I will pray that he will be alright ~He is so handsome, and he appears to be so Happy !!!!!

Great Pictures Valarie ~
    Rest in Peace Corinna~ Well Never Forget You~

I"VE BEEN FROSTED