Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think Suzie deserves recognition.. I had an oven fire...

I think Suzie deserves recognition.. I had an oven fire...

Last night I came home and got Andy (the stray) inside set up in my spare bedroom. I fed the outside strays, and then settled in to make my dinner. I wanted Salmon, so I preheated the oven to 425 and walked out.

I went to change into my bed clothes, washed my face, and was getting ready to play with Andy. Suzie came running down the hallway, and she was screetching loud. I thought Andy had gotten out of my bedroom (door is loose) and she got scared.

I opened the door all the way, and I immediately saw smoke. My eyes were burning. I went to the kitchen and opened the oven. Appearently when I made a Turkey last week the grease got onto the bottom of the oven. When I turned it on, it ignited the oil.

First thought, Get the cats to the bedroom with carriers. I have a door right outside of my bedroom, so I could get them out. I grabbed Suzie and Penny, stuck them in my shirt. I had Hannah by her arm, and Stash was following us. Puff was already in the bedroom. I got Andy and Romeo.. M.E went running under my bed. I was SO scared.

I went back grabbed my cellphone and called...of all people... MY MOM! I did not even think to call the fire department. I was so scared I was not thinking straight. By now the fire is blaring, and I throw water on it.. YES I KNOW... Grease and water dont mix... But at that time I did not think about the grease from the turkey. Then my mom said find the fire extinguisher. I found it under the sink. Fire was put out. All is ok.

I had to leave the doors and windows open to let the house air out. I was so glad my cats were ok.

I am typing this, as a warning... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DONT LEAVE YOUR OVEN UNATTENDED!! I know I was not out of the room but for 10 minutes, and it was a mess. I Thank God my cats were safe, and that my house was spared. Just so you know, Fire is my biggest fear. Please dont be dumb like me and walk away.

ALSO check your fire detectors. I took the batteries out of mine about 2 weeks ago, because I needed them for something else PLEASE ALSO CHECK FIRE DETECTORS REGULARLY!!

I want to thank Suzie for telling meowmie something was not right. I am so glad I have her. She is my little Angel, and a daddys little girl. I believe she was made 'specially for ME!!!

Four More Coming!!!!

Thank you so much Michelle!

Please be responsible, spay and neuter your pets!

I've been BOO'd!!! Thanks Lori!

Yeah I am pretty special

Thats all! Katie and kitties

Thank you so much Michelle!

Please be responsible, spay and neuter your pets!

I've been BOO'd!!! Thanks Lori!

Kisses to Suzie! And thankful prayers that everyone is okay!

How scary. I'm glad that everyone is okay. Suzie deserves some extra treats for alerting you like she did. What a little sweetheart.

OMG!!!! I had the shivers just reading this. HOW SCARY!!! THANK GOD everyone is okay, that Suzie was quick to alert you and that your Mom suggested the fire extinguisher. Wait a go Suzie and Mom.

{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}} to you to calm your shattered nerves.

Oh Suzie, you are not only a very pretty girl, but a very smart one also.
    I'm sure you got lots of hugs and kisses for being the hero that you are.
    I loved all your adorable pictures.

I hope you cuddled with Mom to help her calm down and told her not to worry, that you are there with her to protect her.

Your meomie is right. You ARE one special girl.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

Yay Suzie!! You're a hero, little girl.

I am so glad everyone is safe.

What a beautiful little angel. She is so smart, she could have just ran and hid somewhere but instead she had to let you know what was going on. Such a good girl.

Suzie sure is a life saver there, Katie. I am so glad you, Ricky, and all the kits are okay. Thank you Suzie for saving our friend. (((HUGS))) to you kitty kat!!

"The dog represents all that is best in man." Etienne Charlet

www.rornfp.org

Thank God that you are all OK! Hugs to Suzie for helping Mommy!!!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Way to go Suzie! You deserve some extra treats for alerting your meowme in a situation where most kitties would run off.

*hugs* Im glad everyone is safe and that there was no big damages. My mother always told me to clean out the oven and I never listened until I found out the hard way for myself! In that instance, Remus and Spook both hid even though it wasn't anything good ol baking soda couldnt handle.

OMG, how scary!!!! Spoil that sweet Suzie rotten, she saved your lives!!
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

What a smart little girl you are, Suzie!! And, how brave, too.

That has to be so frightening; I noticed a lot of grease in my oven after T/Day and gave my oven a good cleaning. It doesn't take much to start a fire.

Thank goodness everyone is ok and nothing was damaged.

Good girl, Suzie!
    Loving meowmie to Archy & Binky (RIP my sweet boy 10/13/10)

=^..^=

I

Suzie truly is a hero!! Just reading your post had me shaking! My biggest fear is fire too because I know that no matter how hard I tried I would never find all twenty and be able to get them out.

I'm so glad that it turned out so well for you and the furkids. {{{BIG HUGS}}} to that special little girl of yours.

I'm so glad to hear that you and all the babies are OK.

Suzie you did a great job!!!! You should be proud of yourself. My biggest fear is fire when I'm not home.....I could deal with it when I'm there but when I'm not home is when I worry the most.....would the fire dept get my babies out.

Smokey, Mystic, Abner

Gabriel (Dude), Gracie, Vegas, and Scarlet

Consider adopting a special needs pet, they deserve a chance too!

RAINBOW BRIDGE BABIES
    Tony 2/15/99
    Tigger 10/16/06
    Tucker 8/1/08

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    I'm glad it turned out ok, but PLEASE replace the batteries in your smoke alarms and code into your cell phone and if your house phone has the ability, program in to speed dial 911 and/or the direct phone number to the fire department. Fire is my greatest fear. I test my smoke alarms regularly and watch the stove when cooking - even if it's something that I know can sit and simmer or cook, I check in at regular intervals.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10