Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crazy question.. maybe?

Crazy question.. maybe?

I am in the market for a vacuum cleaner that will pick up dog hair. My JRT sheds like crazy! I have heard that the Dyson Animal is wonderful, but was wondering if anyone else can offer some advice. My socks are full of dog hair and I vacuum at least twice a week! I would appreciate any advice. Thank you so much!!

I have a dirt devil Reaction. The bristles are just as long to get down into the carpet, but half the price. It does a great job with 4 borzois! It sure does keep this light colored carpet really clean. It even has a power attachment that spins, but I just use a dog brush on the stairs.. lol..

I use the Dyson, won't use anything else now that I've used that.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

hi there no advice unfortunately about the vacum cleaner but I have a JRT and he used to shed quite a bit but my vet gave me a little tip, when you wash your JRT before you dry him fully rub some baby oil into him it helps keep his skin soft and the hair loss will be a lot less than normal. I used to have to vacum at least once a day for him and he is only a short haired JRT. Have you any pictures here are some of my guy...... In one of them is our rescue - Jack found her just over a year ago and they are very happy together she is a mixed breed terrier Millie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jack 1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	550.8 KB 
ID:	32157   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 006.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	629.4 KB 
ID:	32158   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 002.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	833.0 KB 
ID:	32159   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Member to family.bmp 
Views:	39 
Size:	900.1 KB 
ID:	32160  
    jackmilliesmom

Thanks to Michelle (Kittycats_Delight) for my wonderful
    cheerful and special signature and avatar!!!!!!

**I'VE BEEN FROSTED**

Quote Originally Posted by Vela
    I use the Dyson, won't use anything else now that I've used that.
    I would love to have one too, but they are like 500 dollars. What model did you get?

Pics

Jackmilliesmom- Mine is a short-haired too and she sheds more than my bf's wire-haired JRT. My vet gave me stuff to put in her food and it has not helped at all. Thank you so much for the advice. I will try some baby oil- I try using the lint brush on her too. She loves it, but it doesn't help too much. Attached is a fairly recent picture of her- I adopted her from a rescue. She is the love of my life- very calm (unlike most JRTs) and loves having her belly rubbed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

What about adding Linatone to her food. Its a supplement that is a dog oil based product, and pretty good. You can get it at petsmart. http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...N=2026157&Ne=2

Something else that will help is to brush her often. I use a Zoom Groom brush, rubber brushes work really well on short hair dogs. I always brush then outside so the hair doesn't get all over the house.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

I Looooooooove my Dyson Animal!!
    Love it
    Love it
    Loooove it.
    Won't EVER own another brand!!

Did I mention that I love my Dyson?

With the amount of Fur that's in my house... ugh... I SHOULD run it everyday, but only get around to it a few times a week.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom
    I would love to have one too, but they are like 500 dollars. What model did you get?

Haha I'm really not sure... I got a newer one, that I can't find a pic of, it's gray and white. It is a DC14 variety but I'm not sure which one. I paid 469.99 for it at Costco. I tried so many different vaccums before finally getting the Dyson. It's been great.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

Vacuum

I told my bf that I really want a vacuum cleaner for Christmas. He laughed for a few minutes before realizing that I was dead serious. I am a clean freak and the fur everywhere is killing me. I think I am going to stick with the Dyson Animal because I have only heard good things about it. I have just started brushing Stitch everyday, but am going to try a rubber brush. Thank you everyone for your help. Hopefully I will get that vacuum cleaner for Christmas!

I use the Eureka Altima and it works wonderfully for picking up pet hair.

AMADEUS AUGUSTUS SEBASTIAN THEODORE

Quote Originally Posted by steelergrl
    My JRT sheds like crazy! My socks are full of dog hair and I vacuum at least twice a week! I would appreciate any advice. Thank you so much!!
    I can't offer much for reccomendations on vacuum cleaners (mine is a cheapo that only is so-so on pet hair) however since it says you live in FLA where it's basically warm year round (no heater running for the winter) I'd be somewhat concerned with why your dog is shedding so much. Sometimes excessive shedding can be a tip off to other things going on. Have you mentioned it to your vet?

If it's simiply a dry hair coat try Shed Stop, an omega 3 oil you put on the food daily, available at most Wal-Marts.

But I would have a check up done at the vet to rule out other things like ringworm, fleas, mites, allergies, etc. just to be safe.

Good luck.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I too have a Dyson animal, greatest vacuum I have ever had lol everytime I vacuum and someone comes over they ask if I shampooed the carpet! while it cost me $500 it was worth every penny.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Dyson. There is no other!