View Poll Results: Which name did you take?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • I took my husband's name.

48 76.19%
  • My husband took my name.

0 0%
  • I kept my maiden name.

13 20.63%
  • I have a hyphenated name.

2 3.17%
  • We combined our names.

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did you take your husband's name?

Did you take your husband's name?

Just curious what everyone who is married here did.

I decided to keep my maiden name- I like it, plus I didn't want to have to change all of my documents, etc. Eric didn't mind- the only potential problem is if we have children one day we will have to decide which name they will take, or if they will have a hyphenated name.

I took my husband's name. I couldn't wait to get rid of my maiden name. I love his last name and glad I took it.

I took my husbands name so fast it made my daughters head spin!!! lol..

I took Mark's name. I dunno, I guess I wouldn't really feel like we were a FAMILY if we had different names. And its really important to me that we truly be a family.

I took my husbands name but here in Italy I use my maiden name as I did not change all my documents into my married name. And there is a bunch of paperwork to do here for me to use it.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

I took my hubby's name. It is much shorter than my maiden name, and no one butchers it!! it's great
    Penny Lane & Daisy

I need an "Other" category!

First time around, I took his name. Twenty years later when we divorced, I asked my mom (who was terminally ill) if I could use her maiden name. I always felt closest to her family, plus she had a really nice maiden name. She was thrilled, she said she always wished she had kept it, but women didn't do that back when she got married. I still use it, and get compliments on it all the time. I did not change it when I remarried 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by cyber-sibes
    I need an "Other" category!

First time around, I took his name. Twenty years later when we divorced, I asked my mom (who was terminally ill) if I could use her maiden name. I always felt closest to her family, plus she had a really nice maiden name. She was thrilled, she said she always wished she had kept it, but women didn't do that back when she got married. I still use it, and get compliments on it all the time. I did not change it when I remarried 10 years ago.
    You're right- I thought about it as soon as I submitted the poll. I don't know how to change it though!

I think it's wonderful you took your mother's name. It's nice to have a name so meaningful to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiebaker
    I took Mark's name. I dunno, I guess I wouldn't really feel like we were a FAMILY if we had different names. And its really important to me that we truly be a family.
    I agree...I took my husband's name also. As much as I love my maiden name, I wanted to feel like a family (and have the same last name as my future kids)

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    I kept my name. I am my husband's third wife. I figured there were enough Mrs. G's out there. I didn't want to bother with changing all the paperwork. And after watching my sister-in-law change her name/paperwork through 3 marriages and 3 divorces, I thought it was crazy. (Not that I doubted our marriage would last). If we had children (we decided not to) our plan was for them to have their father's last name and my last name for their middle name.

Bobcat didn't care one way or the other. If he had, I would have taken his name. We really don't think about it much. But, sometimes it's a shock when we go to the vet and they call him Mr. T. See, all of the vet files are in my name.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

I took my ex husband's name.
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

I kept my own name and got a lot of criticism for it since it was the mid-1970's and not popular in England then. I didn't have a wedding ring either. I said I didn't want to be banded and branded like a piece of property. I was married in my heart and soul and that was enough for me. T. didn't mind at all.

I took my husbands name. I mused keeping my name as I am more fond of it now than I used to be. However, he was not super keen on the idea.

I got married 25 years ago...I took his name, that was just what was done. I would probably do it that way again too.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Up North. Where all your troubles freeze and fall off.
    I voted for my mom, . She took me dad's name. It just makes us feel... "as one" just because we're all the same.
    STILL AVAILABLE BY E-MAIL