Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I think I might..just might...

I think I might..just might...

Adopt this guy! Sandy would love a friend, esspecialy one close to her own breed.
    Notes: 'Lish' is a 11 month old, medium size sweetie. He was bred for drug work, but didn't pass the tests. He is very mild and laid back and easy going. He loves kids, other dogs, and is good in the house. He is shy about new, or suspecious things, but is quick to over come. He has had some basic obedience, and needs a kind home.
    He sounds perfect!!

Thank you SO much kitty_cats_delight
    for the UNBELIEVABLEY awesome signature!!

Honey- any dog that passed the preliminary tests to be a drug dog- never mind finishing is still a very active dog. He would not have even been considering if he were " laid back" etc. Malanois are also by nature more of the high strung of the Belgiums, need lots of exercise and a job to do. You really need to meet him, spend some time with him. They dont even take dogs to do the tests until they have met enough of a criteria to make it worth to spend the time to test them. Wonderful breed, but they need a job, lots of exercise as I said, and someone that is willing to do training to keep the mind stimulated. I know you have a Terv already, but keep this all in mind. They have more energy than the Belgiums, and the Tervs..

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom
    Honey- any dog that passed the preliminary tests to be a drug dog- never mind finishing is still a very active dog. He would not have even been considering if he were " laid back" etc. Malanois are also by nature more of the high strung of the Belgiums, need lots of exercise and a job to do. You really need to meet him, spend some time with him. They dont even take dogs to do the tests until they have met enough of a criteria to make it worth to spend the time to test them. Wonderful breed, but they need a job, lots of exercise as I said, and someone that is willing to do training to keep the mind stimulated. I know you have a Terv already, but keep this all in mind. They have more energy than the Belgiums, and the Tervs..

very well said! I completly agree

Do you live in Kentucky? I thought you lived in California, because you friend from california, Pug 123, said she rode your horse patches all the time...but i don't think they will adopt a dog from Kentucky to california or washington?

The dog is on Petfinder here, in Kentucky

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=6788551

In the thread below Pug 123 she says you guys ride your horse all the time but shes in california?

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=99281

she says: "Hey Haley! This is Sunni, everyone, Haley is one of my bestfriends. We ride her horse, Patches all the time... if you knew him you'd love him like everyone he's met does! Her dog Sandy is a sweetie, too Alli and Sandy love playing. Anyway, welcome to Pet Talk, Haley! Glad you decided to join! Are you enjoying it here so far? I'm so glad you came... it's GREAT here!"

In the below thread you say you live in Washington...

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...3&page=2&pp=15

post #26 you say :

The place that usually has all the rain, and had tons of killer floods just last month, Washington.

Just wondering how it all adds up, I'm confused, sorry. Can't be in 3 places at the same time and most rescue organizations dont adopt across the country and actually I would be very wary of one that did. Maybe you can find a dog closer to home? That way if there are any problems you can return it to the rescue and not just to a shelter.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

Wow, he's a long way away from you, too. I would go for something a bit closer so you aren't spending the money on shipping. A plane ride from KY to WA might be a little stressful for him, especially since he's shy. Do they adopt to people out of the area? How would they do a home visit? If they wouldn't do a home visit on a dog like this, I wouldn't adopt from them, personally. Like the others said...a dog bred for any of the police work is usually VERY intense, demanding, and you can run into a whole mess of issues trying to keep it as a house pet, versus a dog that is bred for pet or show. We had a black malanois at the kennel I used to work for that was kept there for border patrol, and she was extremely intelligent and ALWAYS on her feet, she never took 'naps', she did figure 8's the whole day in her kennel.

Anyways, if you do get him, good luck! He is very handsome.

Quote Originally Posted by Vela
    Do you live in Kentucky? I thought you lived in California, because you friend from california, Pug 123, said she rode your horse patches all the time...but i don't think they will adopt a dog from Kentucky to california or washington?

Just wondering how it all adds up? Can't be in 3 places at the same time and most shelters dont adopt across the country.

I guess we posted at the same time . Also she said in this post...
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...72#post1676972

Never to buy from a "washington" pet store.

I believe Zoomer was from WA too, her location used to say "Where it rains all the time".

Areias is right. A dog contributed into a drug program or even the seeing eye in Morristown NJ usually goes back to the contributor. Even if the dog came from a shelter originally, they will place- but they would not have take a dog that is laid back. If you live out of state, which looks like you do, they would not let you adopt the dog. You also need to spend a considerable amount of time with the dog one on one to make sure this would work, and I am sure that would be impossible to do.
    If you are looking for a dog, look into your local area. And remember, any adoptee needs alot of time, training, and patience.

Up North. Where all your troubles freeze and fall off.
    Look, he sounds like a wonderful dog, and I know we're friends, but I, too, am looking for an explanation as to Vela's post... I'm not particularly good at geographie, but I don't think they'll adopt that far away.
    STILL AVAILABLE BY E-MAIL

I think you should do it!!! There are many days I wish I got another chi for the one I have at home now. Cause they can be soo lonely and there is only so much playing I can do with him. So I stand behind you 120 % Do it Do it DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a gorgeous man he is.

But Vela does make a point. Sounds fishy to me.

Jasper
    [Irish Setter]

Up North. Where all your troubles freeze and fall off.
    Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom
    I third that. Very well said.
    STILL AVAILABLE BY E-MAIL

Wow, Bmom and Vela said everything I wanted to!

BorzoiMom said something that I agree with, a second Terv may be a bit hard for someone who isn't really experienced with the breed to control. Perhaps another not so hyper dog breed.

Vela also made some very good points. Seems a bit fishy to me...
    Sparrabeth- Never say we Die!

No matter what Ted and Terry wrote, Jack and Liz love each other.

Quote Originally Posted by dogzr#1
    Vela also made some very good points. Seems a bit fishy to me...
    I could agree more. I've been suspicious for awhile.

Belterv-

Honey we are not picking on you. I just want you to understand what a drug dog candidate is. That is why so often they use shelter dogs, because the dogs were given up for being hyper or object driven like a ball or toy. Even deciding if they want to try the dog to take the tests, they look for obsessions in dogs that would make a household stark raving crazy. As posted above, even a candidate is a constant mover- and this is a breed that already naturally does.
    I know you love his looks, and think you are helping. But it is better for him to go into a home that can channel this energy- and its not your lack of skill, its whats right for this perticular dog, and what is right for your baby you have. You posted a picture of yourself- and you have a lovely dog. I have yet to hear anything about being hyper etc. A Malanoise is a more high strung as I said- and this dog sounds strange to be laid back but failed the tests- they dont have time to test dogs that arent not object possession crazy- they are far from laid back. And even only the best of that group actually make the grade.
    Somebody is pulling your leg here.. Big time!!!

Nevermind, my parents said no anyway.

And yes, I do know Sunni (aka Dogpug123) I lived in CA for a while and then moved to WA, so I have practicly lived her all my life. And I go visit her at least 6 times a year and ride her horses. I live in WA. Borzoimom, Vela is picking at me, she is saying I am "fishy". I knew I shouldnt have bothered coming back, particularly because of some people like her. One of the only reasons I came back is cuz of people like you.

Thank you SO much kitty_cats_delight
    for the UNBELIEVABLEY awesome signature!!