Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Female cats spraying/peeing inappropriately

One last thought...is an outdoor cat run a possibility?
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Logan
    I have also done the unpopular thing of letting my cats come in and out at their desire. I only do that because we live in a very quiet area.

I don't have much advice, but I sure would make it uncomfortable for any of those cats to be on my kitchen counters and table, especially if they are peeing on those surfaces. Can you shut off your kitchen with closed doors when you are not there to watch them? I am not one that allows my cat to get on the kitchen counters or table, anyway, let alone pee on them. If he did, we'd be having a major discussion about it and finding ways to discourage that behavior. And I'm not sure that I could defend him well enough to continue to allow him free reign in our home.

Logan
    Ok, a few things....
    1. I live in the city. I will not let my cats outside. Just won't happen. My parents live in the country, but even there I wouldn't let my cats outside. They are inside cats, never having been outside, and I tend to value their companionship.

2. As I did say in a previous post, although it is very frustrating that they are peeing on the countertops, it is easier to clean than say, the sofa, my bed, and the various other porous surfaces. So, while I'd like to put things there to discourage them, I'm not exactly in a position where I can try and see if they decide to destroy furniture. I don't have the kind of income where it's just disposable and I can replace my furniture every month or so.

3. Normally my cats were never on the counter tops, and I only discovered this when I saw the pee on them.

4. We've had major discussions, but as far as I can tell, they haven't really become fluent in english, so they haven't been able to enlighten me as to why they are doing it. I'm guessing it's territorial.

5. While I don't relish the idea of cats peeing on my countertops, I do love my pets, and I will not just shut them off somewhere because they are doing something I don't like. This will make them MORE unhappy. If they are already feeling insecure or jealous or territorial, how would they feel if I stuck all three of them in a small room?? Not the greatest I'd bet. Which more than likely would make it worse. So, while you may not want to give your cat free reign and would confine him, I cannot do that to my girls with a clear conscience.

I don't mean to sound so defensive, but apparently you didn't read all the posts or don't understand where I'm coming from. While I hate cleaning up cat pee, I will not have my own cats be made miserable so that I clean less. I will not endanger their lives by letting them outside. I'd rather clean pee off a non-porous surface rather than a porous one and replace my belongings monthly. I'm just trying to get ideas on how to alleviate the problem, maybe stop it, not transfer it to another area.

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1
    One last thought...is an outdoor cat run a possibility?
    Unfortunately, no. My yard is about 3 ft by 12ft, and mostly mulch and topsoil/potting soil. I'm planning on getting a deck installed, but again, not much area there for them. I live in a row home in center city allentown, pa. It's not conducive to having outdoor pets where I live (although I feed three to four neighborhood cats on my front porch).

Sorry that I upset you, Jenn. I had seen a link on the Cat General page, asking for thoughts, so I responded, thinking that you were really wanting as much input as you could get. I read every post in this thread before I responded.

Obviously, you disagree with me on some things, and that's ok, but please don't imply that I love my cat any less than you do because of how I would handle this situation, if I were in your shoes. That would be irresponsible of you, since you don't "know" me yet, and if you did know me, you would know that I care immensely for all of my animals (cats, dogs, birds, fish). We have had a very bad 12 months, losing 3 of our beloved pets, due to old age and cancer. The kitty I have now, Butter, is an unusual situation, and in order to keep him happy, after living the life of a stray, I had to choose to allow him to come and go as he pleases. No one at Pet Talk has ever been critical of me for my decision to do that, and many people here have lived through my experience with Butter from the very day he showed up at my house, almost six years ago. He chooses to be indoors or on the deck with our dogs most of the time, but does go "out" to do his business, and I do understand the risk I take every time he walks out the door, but after weighing it all, it was a risk that I was willing to take, in order to provide him a home. He sleeps beside me every night and wherever we are in our home, he is usually right there with us. I wanted to add that I was NOT implying that your cats should be indoor/outdoor cats, just telling you more about me so you would understand my situation.

Good luck solving your problem. I know it has to be tough.

Logan
    Butter (kitty), Honey and Lilly (Golden Retrievers), Mack (English Bulldog puppy), Ben (Golden Retriever foster boy), Roger and Milly (Cockatiels) and Otto (Betta Fish)

I have one of those too. Shai still sprays on occasion after being here for 3 years. I have a plastic shield in front of my kitchen TV and wash it regularly. So far, she's sticking to hard surfaces--bathtub, kitchen counter, washing machine. I consider it an improvement over my toothbrush.

I suspect she wants to tell me that she's unhappy about all the other cats living in HER house. Unfortunately, they were here first and some came after, but most aren't going to be leaving soon.

I will be contacting the psychic soon. She helped me with a feral cat that I have.

Yoshi is our pee-boy, and we have tried everything and he still pee's!

Luckily I have a husband who understands and yells at me when I yell at Yoshi. He keeps telling me that cats pee, we can't change him (I wouldn't any way ) so don't get mad when he pee's.

What a great husband.....huh?!
    Bunny & Kitties:

Taz - F (7); Majerle - M (4) & Loki - M (8 months)
    (pronounced: Marley).

Quote Originally Posted by Logan
    I responded, thinking that you were really wanting as much input as you could get.
    Obviously, you disagree with me on some things, and that's ok, but please don't imply that I love my cat any less than you do because of how I would handle this situation, if I were in your shoes. That would be irresponsible of you, since you don't "know" me yet, and if you did know me, you would know that I care immensely for all of my animals (cats, dogs, birds, fish). I wanted to add that I was NOT implying that your cats should be indoor/outdoor cats, just telling you more about me so you would understand my situation.
    Hi Logan, I wasn't trying to imply that you don't care for your cat... far from it. We have different situations, and where I live it's just not an option to allow them to venture outside. And yes, I was wanting input, but I was looking for what would be applicable to my situation... that's what I meant. Not sure if I mentioned city living or not in the previous posts, so that would be my mistake. Sorry! I just get touchy with the outdoor cat thing because my parents took their cat back after he had lived with me for 5years, saying he'd be happier back on their farm, and they let him out whenever he wanted, and didn't watch him as closely as I would have had it been me in their situation, and he ended up getting hit on the road that runs about 1/3 mile down from their house. I was so upset when that happened. They just didn't realize how much of a city cat he was, and how he just didn't have that common sense about being outdoors and the dangers there. That was a few months ago, so it just touched a nerve. I wish there was a way I could do that, but I can't.

I've tried isolation. I tried letting them in the basement, and I had 8 litter boxes down there for 5 cats, and they still peed all over, and add in the cement, it was just horrific. So, the basement is now closed and off limits. I'm annoyed with them peeing on the counters or the baseboards of the walls, and I wish it would stop, but I wouldn't want them to start doing it somewhere else either. Ugh.

Again, sorry if I upset you... Jennie

Jenn,

Have you tried those sprays that are supposed to keep cats off things? I'm assuming you have but I thought I would ask.

What about a product like this?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...53&N=2002+2017

Do you think that might work?

I totally sympathize with your situation. It can make things very difficult.

Owned by Booboo, Magic, and Shadow
    RIP my precious Panther, BooBoo, and Shadow. Mommy misses you!
    ------------------

I was just wondering that myself, but then again, I wonder if that would make them pee somewhere else.

I did email the pet psychic to see what she actually does and all that. I guess I'm skeptical. Plus when I GOOGLED her, it led me to where it has info on her being a cub scout den leader/mother. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I'm just sitting here going "What does a cub scout den mother know about being a psychic??". I'm a librarian, a teacher, and I guess I question things like that because to me, it's just a strange kind of combination. And I guess I just am not so sure about the pet psychic deal. I'm one of those show me logic people... I think it comes from being in the education field, and doubting things that can't be totally explained. Or it's just me.

I would be skeptical too! There are so many people out there trying to make a quick buck and really do not care about the well being of other people or their pets. It's sad really.

What about a holistic approach? Maybe acupuncture or some herbs?

I really feel for you too. It is a hard situation you are in and there are no easy answers.

Owned by Booboo, Magic, and Shadow
    RIP my precious Panther, BooBoo, and Shadow. Mommy misses you!
    ------------------

One of my males, Specs, has peed from day one. He totally ruined my dining room server, to the point that the wood was warped and the doors couldn't close. I bought new dining room furniture and now he's started doing the same thing to my buffet. So, as much as I hate to, he's back on amitryptilene. I don't like to drug my cats but I will not allow them to ruin my furniture again. The last suite was old but this is new and I'm not independently wealthy that I can keep replacing furniture. I admit to not having read all your posts, so I'm not sure if you mentioned trying medication or not. But I went with Feliway, tin foil, water guns, double sided tape, noisemakers, more litter boxes, the whole bit. None of it worked. Until amitryptilene. It keeps him calm. He's not a zombie, just calm so that he doesn't spray. Hope this helps.

Blessings,
    Mary