Thread: Female cats spraying/peeing inappropriately

Hybrid View

Female cats spraying/peeing inappropriately

This has been an ongoing problem, and I've asked others about it, and it seems that a lot of people deal with the peeing issue, but no one really has a remedy for it.

I have 4 female cats living in the main part of my house. 3 are mine, and one is a foster cat for one of the shelters I volunteer for. Finae is 7yrs, and I've had her since she was a kitten. Sophie is about 6yrs old, and I've had her about 5years. Boris (yes, she's a girl), is 4 1/2 years old and I've had her since she was about 4 weeks old. Furbee, the foster, is between 7-9yrs old, I think, and I've had her for 1 1/2 years. There is one boy who is normally with them, Georgie, who is about 5-7 years old, and I adopted him 2years ago.

I'm positive it's not Georgie peeing. He's been so well behaved. My girls started peeing right after I adopted him however, and haven't let up since. I've tried Comfort Zone, I've had one of them on kitty prozac. I've tried to confine the one, however she was miserable, and I couldn't let her stay alone. Finae, Sophie and Boris all spray/pee inappropriately. Boris will pee on the kitchen table. UGH. Sophie, Boris and Finae will all spray at the moulding at the walls, and I think it's Finae who is peeing on the countertops in the kitchen. It's totally infuriating. I'm really at a loss about what to do. Both Furbee and Georgie are so well behaved. I have other fosters upstairs too, and 2 of the 3 don't come downstairs, only one of them comes down sometimes, but that's been a recent event. He's a new foster and very sweet and also old. He pretty much lets the others alone. He doesn't stay down all the time, only when I can be here with him incase there would be a problem.

Does anyone have any ideas about the peeing?? I'm glad it's on a non-porous surface, but I'm really tired of cleaning my counters of cat pee every day. EVERY DAY!!

Thanks for any thoughts...
    Jennie

Hi Jennie (my fellow 1by1 volunteer and foster mom). I know of your situation, and am out of ideas for you.

The only new things that I can mention, are

1-more litter boxes and/or placing them in different areas.

or

2-Have you ever tried to separate George from the girls (instead of the other way around)? like maybe let him bunk with the upstairs fosters for a while to see if attitudes change?

Have you tried rescue remedy in their water? I can't vouch for it (but I am going to start trying it myself VERY soon. a lot of fighting going on lately)

How about tossing the 2 pee-bodies up in your foster rooms and giving the fosters access to the rest of the house with the "good cats"?

Maybe a medication OTHER than amitriptylin?

Diapers???

I know there are people here who deal (or have dealt) with this, so hoepfully something they have done will work for you.

(glad you posted)

Hmmmmm... litter boxes on the counter tops?! Only kidding.... that would be too gross.

I guess I'm just so tired of dealing with pee. And one of them has hit my cookbooks twice now, and i'm ticked off.

I don't think I'd put George all by his lonesome. He's too sweet, and i don't think I could get ahold of him anyway, lol. Although I have to shortly because one he needs his vaccinations updated, and two, I think there is a growth on his nose. I can't get too close to him to really check him out, but I swear it was more gray before, and now it looks like a darker flesh colored area on top of it. Almost flat, and I didn't notice it till yesterday cause I thought his nose was wet (hence the darker colored area).

I don't know about putting the girls upstairs and the foster boys downstairs. It might work, but I'd feel incredibly guilty! Although, that would limit the peeing to the 3rd floor, and I could hold out hope that the boys would be well behaved down here.

Not sure. Will have to think that one over. Rescue remedy did't do jack.

Wish I could figure out who is doing what where. Colored dye, something. Is there anything like that out there?!

UGH!!!!!

I don't know about putting the girls upstairs and the foster boys downstairs. It might work, but I'd feel incredibly guilty! Although, that would limit the peeing to the 3rd floor, and I could hold out hope that the boys would be well behaved down here.
    The more I thought about it the more I would try this. The 3 girls are used to each other, they did not pee before George, and no one else seems to have a problem. I'd forget the guilt and give it a try. If you have less clean up, guilt will DISSAPPEAR!!!

I don't know that guilt would disappear.... Finae is my baby girl! And Sophie too... she my sweetie pie. Boris is Boris. She hates everyone, lol.

I do know that the boys upstairs do not pee outside the box. Actually Sassy would probably be so happy to be downstairs with me, he wouldn't know what to do with himself. Woody.... I'm not so sure, but you never know.

Hrm... I'll have to think on this one long and hard. Georgie seems to love everyone, so that wouldn't make any difference, lol.

That Sad As Thatis Why A Lot Of Pets End Up Being Abandoned, I Think Probably The Number Onr Reason.
    We Hope That You Can Find A Solution, As George Sounds Like A Great Cat.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS