Thread: K-9 dog's death brings changes

K-9 dog's death brings changes

From the Associate Press
    June 12, 2002

PHILADELPHIA - Prompted by the death of a police dog in a locked, sweltering cruiser, the city is equipping its K-9 cars with a system that automatically rolls down the windows and blares a siren if it gets too hot inside.

Woodrow, a 5-year-old German shepherd, died May 24 after his handler apparently forgot to take the dog out of a car when the two completed their shift.

A dozen cars will get the equipment over the next three weeks, at a cost of less than $400 per car.

"It all but eliminates the possibility of something like this happening again," said Capt. Alan Kurtz, commander of the department's canine and mounted police units.

The equipment is being paid for by Kal Rudman, a philanthropist who previously bought bulletproof vests for Philadelphia's police dogs.

"I'm a dog lover," Rudman said. "When I heard $400 a car, I thought that was kind of low, given what we are getting in return."

The Rescue CoolGuard alert system, manufactured by American Aluminum Accessories of Perry, Fla., uses sensors to monitor temperature inside the cruiser. The system is tripped when the interior hits 88 degrees.

Once tripped, the system rolls down the cruiser's windows, activates a cooling fan and sounds a horn or siren.

Similar systems have been available since the late 1970s, though sales have accelerated in recent years.

Janet Worsham, president of Criminalistics Inc. of Miami, said her company has sold 3,000 to 4,000 heat monitors to police departments in the United States and Canada. Criminalistics' Hot Dog system sells for $305 and up.

Almost all of the systems, she said, are sold to police departments.

"We would love to see something like this installed in the car of every dog lover in the country," said Kate Pullen of the Humane Society of the United States.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Sounds like a good move to me!

Great news! I am still beyond myself as to how he could have forgotten the dog.

I would never leave my dog in a car in the heat! It is beyond me also Souraya!!

My only question about the system is what prevents the dog from jumping out once the windows are rolled down?? Are the dogs in seat belts??

That's what I wondered, Candy.

Also, do the windows always roll down when the temp inside always gets above 88 degrees?

Say there is no dog in the car, but the car will heat up anyway and the siren starts going off. Seems like a hassel to run out, shut the siren off, roll the windows back up just to have the car do the same thing once the inside heats up again.

If it's a device that has to be turned on by the officer, it seems like it defeats the purpose. If they can remember to flip a switch, they should remember to just take the dog with them....
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Does anyone know how this really works????

It sounds like a good idea in theory, I just hope it works in practice. I'm with you Souraya, what kind of moron forgets their dog in the car when he's a K-9 cop?? HELLO!!

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Same here: seems like a great idea, but I wonder about the actuality of some of the details. Still, it's a start.

Here in my hot part of California, the K-9 cruisers are amazing--they're equipped to idle constantly, with the airconditioning on and the inside temperature set to 68 degrees. The airconditioning runs even if the engine isn't on! I couldn't believe it when I read that officers can (if they have to) leave the dog in the car for hours and the dog stays in cool comfort.

The hairy kids' photo album

Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.
    -Pythagoras

kobieeli
    That sounds like a better solution than this rolling down of the windows business. If the police officers are busy and leave the dogs in the car, they don't have time to come back and turn off the siren and take care of the dog!

My only question about the system is what prevents the dog from jumping out once the windows are rolled down?? Are the dogs in seat belts??

I was wondering about this, too. But maybe the front windows go all the way down and the back ones (where the dog is) just go down to that safety height?
    I dunno... Sounds good but it would be interesting to know exactly how it works.

Yeah, I dunno too... Sounds like there are alot of "what if"s.

Nice idea though, I just wish this wouldn't be necessary.

Anyone know if the police who "forgot" his dog got any punishment or suspension of any sort?

Please sign my guestbook if you have the time