Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rescue or Theft?

Rescue or Theft?

Ok, I'm the guilty party.

Three weeks ago I had a conversation with one of my daughter's neighbors concerning 7 puppies in his yard. His dog had them about 6 weeks earlier and he knew he couldn't keep them. I told him about the rescue/shelter I work with. He said that if his son hadn't promised any of them to friends, he wanted them to go to the shelter.

Dad is working out of town and isn't at the house at all, even on week ends. The son, who is 16, doesn't live there; no one does. They don't have a phone. I had no way to contact them. After trying to catch someone who was supposed to feeding Mom & pups for more than two weeks, I took the puppies to the shelter. It took five days for anyone to realize they were gone.

When I took the puppies, they had a big container of water that was green and slimy. They were crawling around in it to get to me for food. Momma was no longer interested in feeding them and there wasn't any food available. Momma was running free in the neighborhood. I started taking food to the mom every night.

Six days later Momma followed me home. I took her to the shelter and got her spayed. She is doing OK the day after surgery.

This family has had 7 dogs in about two years. They have met some pretty sad fates; two have hung themselves when they jumped the fence while tied up, one got hit by a car, two (miniature poodle and dachshund) were tied outside for three days in bitter cold on New Years, and two just disappeared. The mother and kids moved out in January so basically, there isn't anyone to take care of a dog. None of their dogs ever get shots and they don't think dogs need training.

They have proven that they don't know how to care for a dog so I don't intend returning the momma.

Would you?

Mary

You are brave and good, Mary. That was a rescue, definitely. What a horrible situation to be put in, but I sure am glad you were there.

I wouldn't call you GUILTY I would call you HEROIC.

Oh, how badly we need more people to be educated about animals.

Good job.

Mary, we may have to set up a fund for your legal costs.... but I think you did the right thing. Sounds to me as though they didn't care enough to even worry about not seeing them when they returned. Assuming they remembered.

My gosh, some folks just don't deserve pets, do they?

So glad there are nice pet owners to balance things for the animals we bring in to the world!

Yes the word is HERO! You probably saved those puppies lives by giving someone who will love them a chance to adopt them.

You ought to just wait and see if the guy says anything. If he doesn't then he obviously doesn't care a lot and you have nothing to worry about. But I would say the law should be on your side if you present to the judge (if it ever got that far) his history with pets. I would say that you took the dog from an abusive/neglectful situation and should be commended for it.

Good job!!!

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Mary, I didn't detect concern on your part about legal matters? Are you worried? If you are, I would say document to the hilt. They wouldn't have a leg to stand on.
    Logan

Rescue and theft.

These people obviously don't deserve to have a dog, but you did go into their yard and relocate their dogs to your house and a shelter. I hope you don't end up having a legal battle on your hands. Have they yet asked about the whereabouts of their dogs? With their long history of animal neglect and "replacing of lost dogs", there is a good chance they will go out and get another dog or two. What will you do then?

Despite this, you definately did the right thing. Those puppies and their momma are alive because you rescued them. It's people who stick up for the rights of animals that give our battered furried friends a second chance at life. My Addie is alive because someone, like you, rescued her from abuse and neglect.

Good luck on your endevor. I'm sorry so many innocent animals are subject to people like your neighbors. Sometimes, I think the world is backwards. If our pets were in charge, there would be nothing but playtime, naps, treats, kisses, and waggy tails around the world.

hero

YOU ARE A HERO , MARY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good job !!!! in case they are mad , did you take pictures of the mal-situation ??? I wouldn't worry , if I were you !!!

Thanks for the votes of confidence.

I'm not too concerned about the legal ramifications. If they are so apathetic about their animal, I doubt if they will spend any time or money on attorneys.

Yes, they might get another dog. Hopefully, they won't try to keep it at the same house. Since the kids don't live there, I doubt that they would. But you never know.

The city laws state that a dog cannot be loose, even in your own yard, unless it is entirely fenced. Their yard isn't fenced. Just a pen in back. They don't believe a dog should be confined; not natural!

I have to admit that I also took the two small dogs that were freezing on New Years. They never even asked about them.

So far, no one has been to see the Momma at the shelter. They DO know where to look but can't be bothered. With no collar or tags, and found on the street, she is considered a stray.

I stuck my neck out again--Hope I don't get in trouble. I don't look good in stripes.

Mary

Mary,

I think you absolutely did the right thing.You
    deserve a big vote of thanks for a job well done.
    I think you assessed the situation pretty well
    and was brave enough to do what needed to be
    done. I would give you a medal, if I could.

Good for you, Mary! Hopefully, being a savior for those poor animals isn't going to get you in trouble, but still....Do you have any photos or calls to Animal Control by you that could prove the living conditions over there, if you have to? If I were you, I'd probably just play dumb if they ever asked me about where the dogs went--although they wouldn't pursue it anyway, I'm sure. What about getting Animal Control involved in the matter if they do get another dog? Considering the gruesome fate of a couple of the previous pets, I would hope the authorities would be very interested in keeping an eye on this household. What cruel idiots they are.

The hairy kids' photo album

Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.
    -Pythagoras

It is just so sad to think that people can treat their animals this way. It really makes me physically sick. And I know it is not an isolated event...that is it is not just one person in one town. I just want to cry. Yes Mary, it was a rescue if there ever was one, but you have to be very careful. God bless you for caring.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

Originally posted by gini
    I wouldn't call you GUILTY I would call you HEROIC.

Oh, how badly we need more people to be educated about animals.
    My words exactlly! Way to go! Those fools don't deserve to have another dog, not now and not ever. I would never, in a million years, give the dog back to them. She needs to find another home where she's appreciated and given some much needed medical attention. She needs to be loved and she is not going to get that in the hands of the fools who don't care about her.

Good job. That was very brave and heroic.

Mary i'm sure everyone on Pet Talk will back me up when i say that YES you did the right thing. You tried to contact the owner but they were not available. So you did the next best thing. You rescued them. I take my hat off to you Mary on a job well done.
    If they didn't even bother to inquire about to two little dogs that you rescued from the cold, why should they bother with these little ones.
    Bless you Mary on a job well done. You are a hero in my eyes also.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010