Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Rescue Dogs...

Question about Rescue Dogs...

I was talking to my mom about rescuing a dog from the pound and she said...
    "No, we will not be getting a rescue dog from the shelter" immedietly. I asked her why and she said... You never know how they are going to act because you don't know their past. One might bite you because of a thunder storm. I'm just not interested in adopting a dog and having something happen like that. It's not that I don't like them, its that they are unpredictable".

Is this true? We have had a rescue Newfie/Lab from the shelter but he passed away not too long after we adopted him. I don't know what changed. Maybe it was the media... I don't know. But I'm wondering if this is really true?

Thank you SO much kitty_cats_delight
    for the UNBELIEVABLEY awesome signature!!

That depends entirely on the dog, but yes, it can be true. I have only ever had one dog out of the shelter and he was great the first couple of days, and then literally became a nightmare to be around. You couldn't trust him at all and he tried to bite several people and constantly attacked other dogs. He went through lots of training but showed little improvement. He was later on put to sleep due to his unpredictable, highly aggressive behaviour and for causing serious harm to another dog among other things. That was just Comet though and not all dogs are going to be that way. He has made me very leary of ever getting another dog from the shelter, but I know that the majority probably are not like that. There are many, many wonderful dogs in shelters, rescues, etc. If I ever adopt another dog, it will be from breed specific rescue or a local all breed rescue. Not again from the shelter for that reason, and a few other reasons that only pertain to the ones near me.

That being said, I'd say about 90% of dogs in shelters, Humane Societies, etc. are wonderful dogs and you wouldn't have a problem with them. About 98% of dogs in breed rescue are wonderful aswell, based on my own experience (I have two dogs from breed specific rescues and a friend of mine runs a rescue).

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

There are some rescue dogs that may have some issues that need to be resolved because of abuse, lack of training, etc....but I believe the majority end up in that situation from no fault of their own. People surrender dogs because they are moving, they are allergic, etc. not because the dog is bad. If you got a dog from a good rescue usually they know some about the dogs past and they have the dog in a home environment (foster home) to be able to tell you better what the dogs personality is like, and if they are good with other dogs, cats, etc.

I've met plenty of dogs people have raised from puppies that are unpredictable and bite too...usually because the person didn't know how to train the dog.

I wish I could have your mom meet my Ripley. He was a shelter dog (rounded up as a stray and brought in) and has been such an unexpected blessing to me. I love this little dog with all of my heart. Before Ripley I had always bought my dogs from breeders (some more respectable than others ) but that is another story.

At the shelter where I found Ripley they have many, many dogs who are being fostered. I am sure it is probably the same where you live. If your mom is concerned about a dog's prior "baggage" maybe she would consider adopting a dog who is being fostered. The foster parents have lived with this dog and can tell you any issues that they have noticed and how they interact with other dogs, cats, etc. There is a video that I have recently found and I will give you the link, and I would encourage your mom to watch it. I am warning anyone in advance that it is heartbreaking but it tells a story that needs to be told. Of course most of the people here at PT already are very aware of the need for neutering and spaying and adopting rescue dogs but for anyone who hasn't yet come to that place, please view the following. Again, I warn you that it is raw and brutal but true.

http://www.roxievideo.com/html/borntodie_video.htm

I personally will only adopt any future dog from a shelter. I just can't do otherwise any more.

I depends completely on the dog and its past.
    Two of our dogs are shelter dogs.
    Ethan(whippet mix), is exactly what your mother described... well, not exactly, but similar. He is absolutely terrified about particular things, and will bite. He's been to many many homes, but none worked out because he goes through stages. He'll be sweet, very sweet.. then a few months later once he knew that the house was his home, he would become aggressive. We worked like crazy with him. Many times my parents threatened to sent him back to the shelter, but I constantly told them to just "hold on" that we could work with him. It payed off, he hasn't bit anyone in the family for over a year, but we have to be super careful around visitors or strangers. You gotta understand, though, that he was rescued from an abusive home that he had spent the first year of his life in.. he had a rough past and was never properly taught how to behaive and what was acceptable. Dogs like this just require understanding owners that are willing to put forth time and effort to break their habits.

Skylar(husky/GSD mix), on the other hand, was adopted, and he is the most loveable thing. 60+ lbs of pure love! He hasn't bitten a soul and has only growled once, and that was when I had taken him on a walk late at night and he had spotted a suspicious looking man. When visitors come, he doesn't even bark, and instead, greets with with big wet kisses^^. He knows the command "give me a hug!", and he'll raise up and put his paws around your neck and give you more kisses. Really, you couldn't ask for a sweeter dog.

I agree with what was mentioned, about talking so someone who is fostering a dog. They know all about that dog and can tell you what they're afraid of and how they act once they're accustomed to an environment.
    I find that adopting a dog is a very rewarding thing! With more talking to your mum, I'm sure her mind can be changed. =)

One has only to read the bios of many of our Dogs of the Day to realize the blessings that come with adopted dogs. Some of the most amazing dogs have been adopted from shelters and it is my belief that they realize and appreciate the second chance at a loving home. At one point in his life, my Tucker was in a shelter and yes, he came with a bit of baggage but his loving ways gave us the patience to help him resolve what at first appeared to be a problem.

One needs to realize that buying a puppy from a breeder does not guarantee a good outcome. Many of the dogs who end up at shelters come from just such beginnings. People need to be aware of the time, effort, training involved in taking on the responsibility of a dog. They need to educate themselves the correct way to deal with problems as they come up. My first dog as an adult came from a reputable breeder. I was the one who was woefully ignorant about the breed and what constituted an appropriate level of exercise. It was not a good match.

With the resources now available due to the Internet and the library, and taking your time to choose the best type of dog for your family, you will certainly be able to find any number of possible choices at rescue organizations, shelters, etc.
    Last edited by Rachel; 11-25-2006 at 05:42 AM.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

Your mom sounds to be a very ignorant person on this subject.

Look at all of the rescue dogs on Pet Talk... do you think we are all mauled/bitten?

A majority of shelters will not adopt out an aggressive unpredictable dog.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Okay thank you everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfamr
    Your mom sounds to be a very ignorant person on this subject.

Look at all of the rescue dogs on Pet Talk... do you think we are all mauled/bitten?

A majority of shelters will not adopt out an aggressive unpredictable dog.
    She's ignorant on all subjects

Quote Originally Posted by belterv
    Okay thank you everyone.

She's ignorant on all subjects
    I would prefer to use the word uninformed. We are all in a learning process in this life. As we open ourselves up to new ideas we become better informed. I hope your mom will be willing to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam
    I would prefer to use the word uninformed. We are all in a learning process in this life. As we open ourselves up to new ideas we become better informed. I hope your mom will be willing to listen.

One of the many definitions of ignorant is uninformed. Lacking in knowlege.
    Ignorant, in my opinion, is very fitting in this situation.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

This is a picture of a shelter dog.

For eight years, this dog was the dog that all of the neighborhood toddlers met first. My son used her as a step stool to put his sippy cup on the dining room table. The night before she died of cancer, she slept on the end of his bed to keep the nightmares away.

I am sorry that your mom feels the way that she does. It is really too bad that she is unwilling to help some great dog find a forever home.

Quote Originally Posted by LilacDragon

This is a picture of a shelter dog.

For eight years, this dog was the dog that all of the neighborhood toddlers met first. My son used her as a step stool to put his sippy cup on the dining room table. The night before she died of cancer, she slept on the end of his bed to keep the nightmares away.

I am sorry that your mom feels the way that she does. It is really too bad that she is unwilling to help some great dog find a forever home.
    Oh she is beautiful! And obviously very well behaved. I am sorry about your loss.

Quote Originally Posted by belterv
    Oh she is beautiful! And obviously very well behaved. I am sorry about your loss.
    Thank you. She was truly a beautiful soul and is sorely missed.

These are my first two shelter dogs with my sister. What do you think? We now have 5 shelter dogs and ALL are well behaved. None of them have ever tried to bite me. (Except my mom's dog, but she's not from a shelter) None of my shelter dogs have any major issues other than just being dogs. The one purebred that isn't from a shelter is the one that's been the hardest to housebreak, too.

I agree with Kay, she does sound ignorant on this subject.

Although she does make a point, I don't believe that shelters will sell dogs that are aggressive.

Look at all the wonderful rescue dogs here on PT, and there are lots!

Jasper
    [Irish Setter]