Thread: Update... Teddy is losing a lot of weight

Update... Teddy is losing a lot of weight

UPDATE:
    Teddy has stopped throwing up. He is eating good and keeping it down. But he is starting to lose quite a bit of weight. My aunt asked what we could do for him. I know his old age is catching up, and he may not be here as long as we have hoped. Maybe higher calorie food? One that my aunt could get at Petsmart? He's currently on a low quality food, Ol' Roy. Maybe mixing cooked meat or another type of people food we could give him? Any advice would be so greatly appreciated.

__________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Teddy, my aunt's dog, has been throwing up the past few days. I told her that fasting him for about 24 hours might help. He's 14 years old, so is he too old to let him go without food?
    Last edited by dab_20; 12-03-2006 at 09:01 PM.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

If he's throwing up, he's not really getting anything in right now either, is he? lol I wouldn't see a problem fasting an older dog.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

I don't think fasting him would cause a probnlem. Once she's done fasting him I'd keep him on a diet of rice and boiled boneless chicken for a few days.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Quote Originally Posted by dab_20
    Teddy, my aunt's dog, has been throwing up the past few days. I told her that fasting him for about 24 hours might help. He's 14 years old, so is he too old to let him go without food?
    He's probably too old to forego a Vet visit after vomiting for 5 days. It's one thing if you know the dog has gotten into the garbage or decided to partake of a rotting squirrel to wait 24 hrs withholding food. But 5 days without knowing the cause seems a stretch.

Thank you for the comments. It's been more like two days, I should of said a couple instead of a few. Sorry about that. I will tell my Aunt to fast him and feed him the rice and chicken afterwords.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

I added an update on the first post.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

UPDATE:
    Teddy has stopped throwing up. He is eating good and keeping it down. But he is starting to lose quite a bit of weight. My aunt asked what we could do for him. I know his old age is catching up, and he may not be here as long as we have hoped. Maybe higher calorie food? One that my aunt could get at Petsmart? He's currently on a low quality food, Ol' Roy. Maybe mixing cooked meat or another type of people food we could give him? Any advice would be so greatly appreciated.

__________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Dab- Bil Jac is highly digestable. Its like instant mush and yes you can get it at pet smart. The by products are organs which is high on protein and I have even been to the plant. You will the Bil Jac Select Senior formula..

Diet is not the issue

UPDATE:

First you have a dog that has been vomiting for days, and now even though it is eating again, it continues to lose weight. Most likely the dog seems more tired, maybe starting to show signs of weakness. All signs of muscle wasting or a condition called cachexia.

Common causes of the condition include malabsorption, metabolic disease, and undiagnosed cancer. Increasing the protein and fat by feeding a performance or puppy formula won't hurt, but it's really questionable how much it will help. The dog needs to go to the Vet. If the underlying cause is cancer, then you treat the cancer, and the cachexia will for the most part resolve itself. The longer you wait, the less options and remaining time the dog will have.