Thread: Michigan Law on Hybrids..... how sad.....

Michigan Law on Hybrids..... how sad.....

Souraya, you are so lucky to have Drake. I think he's the greatest and a fine example of the type he is.

It's sad that Michigan is so against them.

Crossing the the Line - The Case Against Hybrids

The Michigan Humane Society accepts wolf dogs but doesn't adopt them out. By law the animals are held for four days, after which they are euthanized. "These animals present a liability both financially and morally to shelters," states MHS shelter manager Sherry Silk. "Adopt them out and you're putting time bombs out there. Shelters just shouldn't be doing it." And most shelters today are not.

I'm so glad you and Andrew were able to save Drake. Give him a big hug for me.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Souraya is to be commended for realizing her responsibilities in bringing Drake into her household. She took him to training and had behaviorists work with her and Andrew. The result is the Drakester we have all come to know and love.

It does take a special relationship between dog/wolf and owner. And special training skills that are above the average dog owners abilities. Drake doesn't realize how lucky he really is to have such a wonderful mommy and daddy!

It's too bad when shelters stimatize a breed just for the breed. I agree Candy, Souraya and Andrew did a wonderful thing with Drake and he is a great dog because of it. I just wish shelters could take the time to screen the prospective owners and have them sign contracts to get training for both the humans and the dogs before letting them go instead of just blanketing an entire breed to be destroyed.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Georgia has a very similar law, Kimmy, Molly, and Candy. People are not allowed to own hybrids. When we adopted Draker the shelter (it is the same one I volunteer with) said he was a malamute/gsd mix. The vet confirmed that he was a wolf hybrid, no doubt! I later asked the shelter and they said that they didn't want to put the dog to sleep and sold him off as a malamute mix. Same thing with Harley.

Well, my neighbor when I was in college found out Drake was a hybrid and filed a police report. Andrew and I were college students then, but got our parents to help hire a lawyer and pay for training and behaviorist appointments. We went to law and had several professionals testify that Drake was harmles. So, we were allowed to keep him. However, if he were to ever hurt anyone, which I will NOT allow, he can get put down. I am extra careful with him. He is our little baby and the thought of our life with out him makes me cry hystarically.

I agree that hybrids can be very dangerous, but with the right training and attention, he can be just like any other dog.

Draker is truley a blessing in our life. Sometimes, the best gifts in life come in furry packages!

WOW Souraya! Draker is DOUBLE lucky to have you then!

What a wonderful thing your parents did by backing up you, Andrew, and Drake.

Any dog can be dangerous... even Kia, though I'm reluctant to admit it. Sometimes she's moody and I'm very cautious about who approaches her at those times. She hasn't been around little kids a lot so I still strickly supervise socialization when a child wants to pet her.

One wrong tail pull and a snap from her, and she could be taken away from me forever and I could never handle that.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Originally posted by DoggiesAreTheBest
    Sometimes, the best gifts in life come in furry packages!

AMEN!!!

I don't know if their are any laws on hybrids in Oregon, but my brother-in-law has a beautiful puppy ( I think she is about 10 months now) that is a wolf/samyoed/shepard mix. I haven't met her, but Ralph brough home some pics

She is the all white pup: