Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kramer is barfing everywhere!!!!

She spends all of her time upstairs so the only time she has access to the dog food is at night. SHe eats a whole bowl of that stuff.
    I'm A Proud Sister of TWO Pugs

Are you taking her to the vet?
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

It's not likely that she would have caught a virus from the stray since they haven't been in contact and her symptoms don't seem like a virus. A virus is more likely to cause her to hide away, sit hunched up, and not have any interest in food. That said, you could check to see if she has a fever. If you can't take her temperature, check her paw pads and see if they are warm and sweaty. A fever is one indicator that something is wrong systemically.

If you are the only one in your family that likes this cat, they may be more careless than you would be in leaving things out that she could eat and cause her harm. String? Rubber bands? Plastic bags? Meat bones? Fish bones? Cleaning agents? She has an appetite, is moving around normally, but still throwing up - signs of a possible blockage. This is not something that will clear itself. If your cat is blocked inside, she will continue throwing up until she becomes dehydrated, and that is life-threatening. If she has swallowed something that is tying up her insides, it will end up cutting off circulation to her intestines which causes gangrene.

The dog's food is not good for a cat because cats need a very high protein diet, low in carbohydrates. A little won't hurt her, but it isn't good for her either.

This forum is no substitute for professional help. One day of throwing up is something you can watch and assess, as long as the cat is moving around and drinking. More than one day is cause to see a vet. Is your family unwilling to have her see a vet?

My parents think it might be a hairball stuck in her. As for seeing a vet I don't think they want to spent a ton of money on her for an operation or x-rays.

We keep everything picked up because of our dog so she couldn't have gotten anything and she was never one to take things.

Vomitting from a hairball usually looks very different from vomitting for other reasons, and it's often done when the cat has not eaten. Most of my cats get rid of hairballs by stretching out their necks, gagging a lot, walking backward and bringing up stomach fluids before the hairball itself. I'm sorry that your parents are not willing to take your cat to a vet since that is part and parcel of taking care of a pet. Please let us know how your cat is doing since we will worry about her.

She thats what she does only now I've stopped feeding her to see if it was her food making her sick and it's so I don't know.

How is her mood? Is she still affectionate and playful?

Is there a low-cost vet or vet school near you?

She would have brought a hairball up by now....

I hope your parents agree to have her seen. Maybe just call a shelter or Humane Society to find out about low-cost vets, and what an x-ray might cost.

Maybe you could work any cost off with extra chores for a while or something?

I worry about her...
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by junescrater716
    As for seeing a vet I don't think they want to spent a ton of money on her for an operation or x-rays.
    I'm sorry, but owning an animal requires to take proper care of it. That means food, water, love and seeing a vet.
    It doesn't mean that Kramer is going to need an operation or even x-rays. Sometimes a vet can just tell what is wrong through an examination and from years of experience.

Sometimes it takes some of my cats three days to bring up a hairball, BUT they only vomit once, maybe twice the first two days.

Please, if Kramer is still vomiting tomorrow, bring her to a vet.

Also, it is not good for her to eat a whole bowl of dog food. My guys just have a little bit that my dog might leave behind and that isn't often.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by rg_girlca
    I'm sorry, but owning an animal requires to take proper care of it. That means food, water, love and seeing a vet.
    It doesn't mean that Kramer is going to need an operation or even x-rays. Sometimes a vet can just tell what is wrong through an examination and from years of experience.

Sometimes it takes some of my cats three days to bring up a hairball, BUT they only vomit once, maybe twice the first two days.

Please, if Kramer is still vomiting tomorrow, bring her to a vet.

Also, it is not good for her to eat a whole bowl of dog food. My guys just have a little bit that my dog might leave behind and that isn't often.
    Agreed. How old is Kramer? You NEED to take her to the vet. At least for just an exam. Exam costs about $30, xrays maybe $75 depending on the market. She needs to be on fluids. Tent her skin. Pull the skin up where the shoulders are, if the skin goes down quickly she's doin okay, if takes a minute for the skin to go back to normal-she's dehydrated. But the vet can give you an estimate on everything he'd like to do. He can also give fluids under the skin right then with no problem for like $10. Kramer SHOULD be on IV Fluids, but if nothing else get some under the skin.

Is she having any bowel movements? If so, are they normal?
    Has she ever been tested for leukemia or aids?

The best thing to do is take her to a vet for an exam. That is really the best way to find out what is going on with your cat. Occasional vomiting is normal for a cat ..i.e. hairball, eating too much or too fast but if your cat is vomiting a lot there is something else going on with her and she needs medical attention asap. The longer you wait the harder it is going to be to treat your cat.

Owned by Booboo, Magic, and Shadow
    RIP my precious Panther, BooBoo, and Shadow. Mommy misses you!
    ------------------

She hasn't barfed at all this morning and she bit me a couple times so I think shes back to normal if she barfs again I'll call the vet myself just for some info.

I'm glad to hear that Kramer is doing better. Maybe she just had a little upset tummy from something that she got into.
    Have you given her anything new to eat these past few days, like treats. I remember one time when I had bought a new treat for the cats instead of their regular one and my RB Katie started to vomit a few times a day for 3 days. She was still drinking and eating but stayed to herself. I brought her to the vets and we both figured that it was the new treat that upset her tummy and the next day she was fine.

I pray that Kramer continues to stay well.

Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005

Kramer is doing much much better she only threw up once today!!! We got her a new food it's Nutro for cats with hairball control and is easy on sensitive stomachs. She loves it!!! She might even gain a little more weight, thank heavens!!!

Thank you so much for all your support and prayers. I am eternally greatful!

How's Kramer doing? Anymore more vomiting since Saturday?

Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005

Quote Originally Posted by fragrancehound
    The best thing to do is take her to a vet for an exam. That is really the best way to find out what is going on with your cat. Occasional vomiting is normal for a cat ..i.e. hairball, eating too much or too fast but if your cat is vomiting a lot there is something else going on with her and she needs medical attention asap. The longer you wait the harder it is going to be to treat your cat.
    I agree wholeheartedly here. I can understand that vet visits can be costly, but would you rather know what is wrong with your pet, or just hope that some advice from people, with great intentions but not able to see the cat personally, will work?

Animals should be treated with dignity and respect. If you had a child that was throwing up for days, I'm sure you'd want to take them to a doctor to see what was wrong. Afford the cat the same courtesy. It's not just a possession, it's a part of the family. My one girl, Boris, is only affectionate when she's not feeling well, which is very infrequently. When she was spayed, she was in my lap 24/7. Nomally she'll brush by my leg, but other than that, she doesn't want my company or any other cat's company much either.

Get the cat to a vet. Many will offer payment plans, especially if you are a younger person taking care of the family pet, and no one else in the family feels obligated. Tell them that, but still, get the cat to a vet before it's so dehydrated, ends up in liver failure and dies. That would be unconscionable. I'm not trying to lecture, but we need to be responsible for our pets and how them love and mercy. They can't get themselves to the vet on their own.

I hope the kitty is better, but if she's still throwing up, please get her some help.