Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Panther is acting wierd..updated..not good

Panther is acting wierd..updated..not good

Tonight he threw up his food which isn't that uncommon. Periodically if he eats too much or too fast he will throw up. But tonight he was meowing very wierdly. I've never heard him meow like that before except when he is at the vet.

Right now I'm keeping an eye on him to see if I need to take him to the emergency vet. He has me scared. I don't know if he is in pain or just not feeling well. Normally he bounces right back after he vomits but this time it seems different. Thoses meows are not his normal sounding meows. It's midnight here and I'm tired and scared. I have a feeling it is going to be a long night.
    Last edited by fragrancehound; 11-21-2006 at 11:08 PM.

Owned by Booboo, Magic, and Shadow
    RIP my precious Panther, BooBoo, and Shadow. Mommy misses you!
    ------------------

Has he started a new med really recently?

We know when our babies don't sound right....I hope Panther just has an upset tummy and he will be ok!

Does the emergency vet have his records?

Prayers for your beautiful Panther! And you too!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

My Ted used to make the most horrible yowling noises when he had a hairball that he kept trying to throw up; it could take him several tries over the course of a day to bring it up. Hopefully, your Panther is going something similar and not something serious. Is there any way he could have eaten something he shouldn't?

Well its 2 a.m. and I just got back from the emergency vet. Maybe it my paranoia but I had to take him in just to be sure. The vet took some xrays and there are no obstructions. She gave him and an injection of Pepcid and an injection of fluids to keep him hydrated. She really couldn't find anything wrong except he has gas pockets and stool in his colon. She doesn't know if he is having any trouble passing his "stool." She said that the gas maybe a little painful for him so that is possibly why he is sounding so funny. He is still vomiting too.

I will see how he is in the morning but I just don't like the way he is acting. He is hissing at my other cats and even at me which is something he never does. His meowing sounds like he is is pain but the vet couldn't find anything wrong. I feel so helpless. I know he is not feeling well but I don't know what else to do now. I have a funny feeling I am going to see my regular vet later today. I'm also wondering how this is going to affect his radiation treatments which he is supposed to start Monday. In the all the years he has been with me this is the worst I have seen him. His meowing seriosuly sounds like nothing I have ever heard before. My poor baby.

What a shitty month. Between the vet bills and health problems I need some serious good karma or something.

------------------

What a miserable night! Panther continued to throw up saliva/foam all night long and mostly on my bed. I was up literally all night long cleaning up vomit and trying to comfort Panther. This morning I took him into my regular vet. She ran a lot of tests and thought it would be best to keep him there overnight so he could be monitored. They did more xrays and found he has a gas pack that will not pass for some reason. They are still waiting on the remaining lab results. They have given him lot of fluids and pepcid in the meantime and that has helped. He hasn't vomited since this morning so that is good. He is even a little playful. I should be able to pick him up tomorrow.

I miss my baby! Today I am going to catch up on some sleep and do a lot of laundry.

------------------

OWWW! Gas DOES hurt. Poor Panther!

I hope they get it out. Glad he is feeling better. HUGS to that beautiful boy.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I just brought panther home and he won't even come out of his carrier which is very unusual for him. He is still vomiting but at least the gas pack is gone. The vet gave him a boatload of meds including an injection of prednisolone. He is also on a antibiotic, an anti-nausea med and an appetite stimulant. He has not been eating which is again unusual for him. He always eats. The vet thinks it could be irritable bowel syndrome, a food allergy, possibly some type of bacterial thing, or something else. She doesn't know. The x-rays show nothing except that his intestines are thicker than they should be. That could be from all the vomiting and stomach irritation or something else. Basically I am back to where I started. I don't know what to do. This happened so suddenly too.

------------------

Make some plain instant rice mix it with some wet food. Feed it to Panther if you have to (small bites at time). Also good thing is chicken, beef baby food to stimulate appetite.
    The rice will digest well and settles tummys (in humans also).
    I've known people to mix rice with hamburger (cooked/drained).

I would just leave Panther alone and let the door open to carrier. Probably at this point he is peeved at you for all thats been done to him in last 24hrs.
    Eventually he will come out
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

What kind of baby food? The ones I have seen so far contain onion powder. Can you recommend a certain kind?

------------------

I didnt realize they had onion powder in them.
    Normally regular baby food is pretty bland, no spices of anykind.Are you looking at the chucky toddler stuff? I would b uy Heinz or Gerber, go with the strained baby food.
    Most vets will recommend this (baby food) to get them to eat.
    Last edited by Craftlady; 11-18-2006 at 08:28 PM.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

The vet had recommended Gerber 2nd stage baby food in chicken but the ones I have looked at so far contain onion powder. I'm confused. I didin't see a plain chicken flavor. I should have asked her to be more specific but it didn't cross my mind until I went to the grocery store and started to look at labels.

------------------

I'm guessing there is a very slight hint of onion powder in the baby food. It does surprise me that it's even in there in first place.

You can also try a can of stinky wet food (fish flavor).

I actually just used cooked rice and mixed it with a small amount of wet food and fed it to Skinny. His appetite came back within 2 days. Now he looks at me like "arent you hand feeding me anymore mom" LOL

He won't eat. I've tried wet food, dry food, and Gerber sweet potato baby food (it didn't contain any onion powder) Right now I am force feeding him water with a dropper. I want to make sure he stays hydrated. He only threw up once since he has been home so I am hopeful that he is done with vomiting.

------------------

Quote Originally Posted by fragrancehound
    He won't eat. I've tried wet food, dry food, and Gerber sweet potato baby food (it didn't contain any onion powder) Right now I am force feeding him water with a dropper. I want to make sure he stays hydrated. He only threw up once since he has been home so I am hopeful that he is done with vomiting.
    I had to force hand feed Skinny, he'd take couple bites at a time. Try that.

Sorry for the stupid question but how do you force hand feed a cat?

I tried putting some wet food on a spoon and he turned away. I then tried puting just a dab on top of his nose and did lick it off but when I tried it again he wiped his nose.

Any tips would greatly be appreciated.

------------------