Thread: My poor little Kasha :(

Hybrid View

My poor little Kasha :(

I know I haven't posted much lately, but I have been lurking and thinking of those with sick furbabies. Now I have one of my own. Kasha is my 17 year old, solid white girl. Well, she will be 17 in January. On Monday evening she started acting lethargic, not hissing at the other cats, not eating, not beating up the dogs. She truly despises the dogs! You can imagine how much hissing and swatting that leads to around my place!(For those that don't go to the dog side, I have 24 dogs.) Last night she let Muskwa sniff her and he still has an intact nose and both eyes! Normally, she would have clawed his face off. So I gave a day to perk up, offered her every treat known to cats, she refused even babyfood and catnip! She is a nip addict normally. So this morning, I loaded her into a carrier and dropped her off at the vet clinic. One of the benefits of being a frequent client is that I don't need an appointment all the time!

So my vet , Dr. Candace, just called. I had given her permission to do whatever blood work and tests she felt were neccessary.

Kasha is very jaundiced. Her liver values are about 10 times what they should be! Her white blood cell count is also elevated. Her kidney values are perfectly normal! The t-4 test isn't done yet and they are waiting for those results before doing anything else. If the T-4 is normal, they will do an ultrasound. A couple years ago, an ultrasound wouldn't have been possible here, but the clinic has the technology now!

Right now Dr. Candace is thinking that Kasha has some kind of infection in her liver. She wants the ultrasound to rule out a tumor. If it's an infection, she will get fluids and antibiotics, likely by IV overnight and come home tomorrow. If it's a tumor, well, I don't want to think about that yet. I'm at work and I can't start crying here! At 17 and living in the boonies, the options for cancer treatment are very limited.

Beau had similar symptoms; his liver values weren't quite as elevated, but they were high and have resolved with hyperthyroid meds. I'm hoping that Kasha can get the same kind of easy fix. I know she's elderly, but I've only had the pleasure of her company for 15 months and I'm not ready for this! She's been perfectly healthy until 72 hours ago!

Awwww....I am so sorry!! Prayers comming your way, that it is just an infection and that Kasha will make a speedy recovery!!!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

I hope that because it came on suddenly, that it is an infection or a conditon that can be treated!

I hope Kasha is back to bashing noses in no time!

And...my offscreen name is Candace, same spelling! I hopt that bodes well!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Everyone here will be keeping their fingers and paws crossed for Kasha! How scary.

I am sorry to hear about Kasha and will be watching for updates.

But I must also say, you had me chuckling explaining Kasha's purrsonality! Wow, no wonder you knew there was something amiss. She must be a bundle of trouble most of the time.

Let us know when you can what's up with Kasha, and I do hope she feels better fast. Even if that means a few skinned doggie noses.

Kasha I hope you are feeling better very soon. Remind meowmie that you need some milk thistle to help with your liver when you get home. A big hug and kiss for you to make you feel better sweet girl.

Glacier, paws, fingers and all else crossed for a good outcome from all the tests.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Update...

Kasha's t-4 levels are normal. The ultrasound didn't show any tumors, but her liver is full of "fibrosis" which is impairing it's ability to function. Kasha will be spending the night at the vet on IV fluids and antibiotics. Hopefully the fluids will help flush the toxins out of her system and she'll feel better. If it doesn't, to quote my vet, I'll "have some decisions to make." I hate it when they say that! This is the only problem with adopting seniors. My mind knew when I got her that our time might be short, my heart refuses to accept that!

I'm going to go spend some time with her before I go home tonight.

queenofpoop: I take milk thistle myself so I have some at home already. When Kasha gets to come home, she'll get some too.

Catty1: Candace is a truly exceptional vet. I have great faith her abilities. She's also a lovely person. (must be the name!)Our husbands are good friends. I've been monopolizing her professional time lately, so have not seen her socially!

Freedom: Kasha is a spitfire! I didn't know about her hatred of dogs when I adopted her. She was already pushing 16 when I got her. My husband worked at the shelter she was dumped at. I had just lost my senior kitty and he knew that I missed Twicket deeply(I still do) and he knew Kasha had no chance at adoption. So he called the biggest sucker he knows--me! She walked into my house like she owned the place and put all the other critters and the humans in their place!

<picks up Prayer Line> <dials God>

Hi God ~
    An Happie THANKSgivin to Ya!

God ~
    We gotz a problem down here inna You-Kon - wiff Kasha da Kitty ...

You know da wun - dat Glacier's Husky Tribe keepz komplainin about ...

Quote Originally Posted by Glacier
    She walked into my house like she owned the place and
    put all the other critters and the humans in their place!

Kan You keep an eye on her - make sure da plugged up Liver flushes out.

An remind her not to try *shreddin* any Dawg Nozes till she feels a lot better!

THANKS, God!

/s/ Boots, da Purrayer Kat
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

I'm sorry to hear that Kasha isn't feeling well.
    It sounds like she is a fighter so I hope she feels better soon so she can be back home with you.
    RIP sweet Samantha
    6/26/88-8/28/08
    ----------------------------

Milly & Izzy

Lots of prayers for dear Kasha. That girl has too much spunk to be leaving just yet Paws and claws crossed for her recovery and much needed order to be restored. What would the pups do without her to keep them in line

Hugs to Mom - worrying about sick kitties (an puppers) is a terrible thing - take care Tamara.
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

I am so sorry to her that precious Kasha is under the weather right now.

Prayers on the way that the fluids will flush the toxins out and she has a full and speedy recovery.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

i like this cat. prayers going up for her.
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

Poor little fireball, please feel better soon!

Thank you Wolf_Q!

I'm so sorry to hear this news about Kasha. I sure hope the fluids and antibiotics make her feel a lot better! As you might remember, Peanut has been having "issues" lately too, so I know all about little old lady kitties and those "decisions to make."

Come on Kasha, gather all your spunk and fight this nasty thing!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl