Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beans Update

Beans Update

I know that I'm very late in posting this, and I'm sorry that I still haven't had time to take photos, but I thought some of you might want to know how Beans is doing.

He spent a week in an isolation bedroom, really cosy in the lower half of a cedar otttoman chest which I filled with a comforter and throw and then surrounded it with other comforters. We spent lots of time cuddling and getting to know one another. I moved him into the main upstairs area about ten days ago and it's been very interesting watching him acclimate himself to new surroundings and new companions.

He was okay with the smaller, quieter cats right away, but he went into hissing fits whenever Dagda came near him - which he did whenever I tried to pay attention to Beans. Dagda is a huge, black, one-eyed, FIV+ ex-tom who spends most of his time sleeping or asking for attention. He took no notice of Beans' hissing and by the past weekend the hissing was over.

I let out the two male kittens from their secondary isolation for ringworm on Friday evening (they'd been clear for weeks but I wanted to be very sure). The moment they raced into the room, full of joy that their 3 months of isolation was over, Beans literally jumped backward twice. He's got very strong back legs so it was more of a double backward leap. He never hissed at them or looked afraid of them, he was just shocked by their energy I think. By Sunday, he was ready to go nose-to-nose with them and tends to follow them around as though fascinated by their antics.

He doesn't have a companion yet, but he did share one of his folded comforters with Raven (another black FIV+ ex-tom, a social feral). He's also fine now if one of the other cats settles down in his chest near him since he prefers the comforters on the floor.

After weeks of using the litter box faithfully, even when he had diarrhoea (which cleared up when I put him on Avo-Derm dry), he started pooping in the hall last week (before I let out the kittens), and once even by his bed. I have no idea why this happened. When it started to happen last night, I scooped him up and carried him to a litter box and he's been using it since. Ah well! I'm well used to cleaning up this kind of thing. And it's easier than cleaning up after my elderly Ginger who has decided to start peeing on all the sofas, my bed and even a couple of piles of drapes I was about to put up.

As Melissa told me, Beans loves to play and he's very fond of all the toys she gave me to take with him. He tosses them around vigorously, slams them down and then rubs his head over them. I must get some cat-nip this week since I think he'd really like that.

Oh Lynda, he sounds to be doing great. I know Melissa will be SO HAPPY to hear he is doing well and adjusting just fine. I would love to see pictures whenever you can find the time, and I am glad that we get an update. *hugs* Katie and kitties

Thank you so much Michelle!

Please be responsible, spay and neuter your pets!

I've been BOO'd!!! Thanks Lori!

I am glad Beans is doing so well. I don't understand why he went potty outside the litterbox. He always went in it 100% of the time here but i am glad he hasn't done it anymore. Katie told me you said he was a biter too. that is something he never did here either except the first time I tried to clip his nails and that he never bit down on my hand. I am glad his diarrhea has cleared up and the food is working. How do his ears look? Have you had him to the vet yet? I have had bronchitis the last week and a half and been at home in bed so I am just getting back to work this week. Beans as you found out loves to be in the middle of an acitivity and he can keep up with the best of them. I always loved to see him hop around and completely hop in a complete 380 degree circle when he wanted to. Please tell him I love and miss him and that my babies miss him too and give him a hug and kiss from me.
    Melissa

I'd forgotten about the biting. It happened when Dagda was around and, since Dagda always came over for attention whenever I sat on Bean's comforter bed with him, it happened several times. I knew it was because he felt intimidated and it was because he can't reach out to swat. He never hurt me, it was just a surprise. Now that he's used to Dagda, it's stopped.

I'm glad Beans is settling in. Is he FIV+ .... I noticed you said he was with two others who are?
    Last edited by kimlovescats; 11-13-2006 at 09:44 PM.
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Thanks for the update. I'm so glad to hear that Beans is settling into his new home so well. I can't wait to see some recent pictures of him.

I am so glad Beans is doing better. I hope his potty issue changes. Good luck and post lots of pictures!!

"The dog represents all that is best in man." Etienne Charlet

www.rornfp.org

Quote Originally Posted by kimlovescats
    I'm glad Beans is settling in. Is he FIV+ .... I noticed you said he was with two others who are?
    No, he's not FIV+, but FIV is only transmittable through a deep bite wound so I let my two older FIV+ boys share space with others, even kittens. Dude doesn't have any teeth left and Dagda is a gentle giant.

I'm so pleased to hear the update, I have been wondering how things were going. Great to hear that the ringworm is on the way out too.

I spoke too soon. The diarrhoea came back with a vengeance tonight after nearly two weeks of normal poop. The kitchen floor, including the leg of the table, the big comforter on the sofa and surrounding carpet, the hall carpet, and the wood floor by the bookcases all got splattered within an hour. I was running from one mess to another. I don't have any isolation bedrooms left since the CH kitten has to stay in secondary isolation for ringworm for another two weeks and I had to isolate Ginger in another bedroom because I can't cover every piece of soft furnishing with plastic. At midnight (and I have to get up at 5am to go to work) I knew I'd have to isolate Beans in the litter room. Now I've got 6 litter boxes lined up in the bathroom, so cramped that I can hardly get to the loo, and Beans has 4 litter boxes to himself and his bed in the litter room. I feel so terribly sorry for Beans because his bum is so sore that it looks bloody. It's off to the vet with him tomorrow morning.

Poor Beans, I hope the vet can stop the diarrhea and soothe his poor bottom. Let us know what happens...........
    Loving meowmie to Archy & Binky (RIP my sweet boy 10/13/10)

=^..^=

I

It's nice to hear about beans, I hope he gets better soon and his poop is sorted out. It's so wonderful that he has so much love from people who care about him so deeply.

Poor baby - prayers for Beans. Hopefully it's just a little bug that can be fixed in no time! HUGS!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Thanks for the updates! I hope you fully recover from the bronchitis; too much activity too soon may bring it on again. And it sounds like you have a very active household!!!

Beans, take care and get well fast little guy!

Lizzie,
    That is the way it went with me. His diarrhea would get better and thyen come back. As I told you my vet suggested getting a culture done. She thinks he has IBD. Please let me know what you vet says about Beans. How are his ears doing?
    Melissa