Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does Everyone Think You're Crazy?

Yup, we have 5 and people's eyes usually bug out when they hear that. It seems perfectly normal to me.... I guess until you live with that many it seems outrageous. 5 is my limit for taking care of them financially... even then its a stretch - thank goodness I work for a petstore to get a discount off everything

The funny thing is hubby - who did not want cats in the first place. I swear he loves them more and just last night he was making plans to build them a new cat tree for Chritsmas! Take into consideration this is also the same man who took 3 years to patch a hole in the wall that only required slapping a board up near the ceiling of the mudroom... and he's going ot build a whole cat tree? I'm confident he'll actually build it since its for HIS cats. So maybe he's the one who's nuts around here!

I have 5 that are definitely mine and the two rescued kittens who will probably end up being mine. Honestly I don't know if I'm up for two more cats. I feel 5 is my limit but I don't know what else to do. It would be very hard to find a good home for Decker, the little wild kitten. None of the rescues are willing to take him because of his feral behavior and the best I can probably find for him on my own would be a home as a barn cat. With some of the behavior he has started the past few days I don't know if I can keep him in the house.

My family and friends think I'm nuts to have as many as I do with my orginal five. I don't want to tell them about these other two. I just try to laugh it off and say I'm a card carrying member of the Crazy Cat Lady Club but the jokes and comments do get old.

From Decker with Love

Nope not crazy at all Purrtender. Some family members are amazed at the amount of cats that I have, but they also understand it because of my love for cats. I have one sister though that won't come into the house to visit because all of a sudden she is allergic to cats. Her loss, not mine.
    Mu hubby wasn't much of a cat person, but now.........................
    All I hear is, "There's MY Mookers", or, "How's MY baby Willy," and even, "Come here MY Poppy Woppy." He is even the one who told me to bring Sweetpea into the house. Gosh, I love that man of mine.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

Truthfully, I like my cats (and other people's) more than most people! And, I'm at the point in my life where I don't give a fig if anyone knows it.

So if I have 2 or 10, it's really no one else's business, except me and my hubby. We've been together 27 years and during that time at least 2 cats have graced our house; at times we had as many as 7. My family knew and never said a word. Our house was clean and (relatively) fur free, didn't smell, but it did have a few little scratches here and there. Those cats lived happy and healthy lives and brought us great joy. I miss all who have gone to the RB and I treasure the ones who live with me now.

Be a Cat Crazy Lady with pride!
    Loving meowmie to Archy & Binky (RIP my sweet boy 10/13/10)

=^..^=

I

I have to agree with Orangemm I have 4 cats and have had up to 5 with my fosters. If people don't like it that is their problem. I have a confession!!!!!

A girl came to my house and started complaining about all of the discusting cats that I have...... Yet I may add I have an entire wall of pictures and wooden plaques that state"Spoiled rotten cats live here" and "The cats and its housekeeping staff reside here" And then have the nerve to complain about my discusting cats. She was whining about all of the cat hair and how all of a sudden she was becoming allergic.

I hate to admit it since she was carrying on down at a gathering in my basement and she was not invited to my house in the first place I went up stairs found her shoes and jammed a TON of cat hair into her shoes!! Isn't that aweful of me??? She will think again before she complains about my four legged furry babies again. Or she will get hives!! I just thought that was VERY disrespectful on her part. She could have left but she chose to complain and push my babies and that just wasn't the thing to do.
    That is aweful of me isn't it?????

Heidiv, your confession was hilarious!! Some people are just plain rude, I would have loved to have seen her face when she found the cat hair!

I am living with around 20 cats at the moment. I too am very lucky because hubby loves them as much as I do. There are many people who think I'm nuts but I figure the only one who really counts is God. I truly believe that by putting the lives of his creatures before material things or pressure from what other people think is crazy, is the right thing to do.
    I think God put lots of different types of caring people in this world. Many care for humans and many care for animals. Being a member of PT shows you how many animal angels are gathered just in this one spot. I think thats pretty incredible and anyone who doesn't like it needs to take it up with God because he is the one who made us this way!
    Enjoy your babies and poo on what others think!
    Last edited by catcrazylady; 11-19-2006 at 12:49 PM.

So long as they are well cared for and you have been keeping up with the litter box I think it's OK. The problem is when the houses are filthy and the cats are not well cared for.
    Cathy loves Cocoa Kitty.
    http://cocoakitty.net

Cats cats and more cats

Good Morning,
    I have just been reading all the posts here. I too would have more cats if only my husband let me. We have two now. But we also have a bunny, a bird, one hamster, two rats, three frogs.
    No I don't think anyone here is crazy except perhaps me. I think everyone is doing a great job with the time, funds and training they have. The problem is that people don't get their animals fixed and one female cat can have hundreds of kittens in her life time and they can and so forth. With over one million animals being put down every year due to overcrowding it is no wonder many people can not take on another animal in their household. I congratulate anyone who is helping to control the pet population and adopting. More money needs to be given to no kill shelters. Perhaps a vet in your local area can do low cost spaying and neutering one weekend a month. I don't really have an answer that hasn't been suggested before, just a lot of postive thoughts on what everyone here is doing. You are all doing such good work. Be proud.

Quote Originally Posted by catcrazylady
    I am living with around 20 cats at the moment. I too am very lucky because hubby loves them as much as I do. There are many people who think I'm nuts but I figure the only one who really counts is God. I truly believe that by putting the lives his creatures before material things or pressure from what other people think is crazy, is the right thing to do.
    I think God put lots of different types of caring people in this world. Many care for humans and many care for animals. Being a member of PT shows you how many animal angels are gathered just in this one spot. I think thats pretty incredible and anyone who doesn't like it needs to take it up with God because he is the one who made us this way!
    Enjoy your babies and poo on what others think!
    Thank you Lisa! Dealing with the potential of two new cats and not being sure about it I really needed to hear that.
    I sure have missed you!!!

From Decker with Love

I also agree 100% with what Catcrazylady Lisa has said!!! These are God's creatures, why should I question it? I was given this love in my heart for a reason and a husband who feels the same for a reason.

Heidiv, that is hysterical about the cat hair in the shoe!!!

K&L ... you've passed me now! (just barely)
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Does Everyone Think You're Crazy?
    YES (But not necessarily because of the cats. LOL LOL LOL)

but seriously, I swear to you, people never liked me....not in grade school, not in high school, not in collage, not at work, not even in my own family. So why on EARTH would I care if they think I am crazy or not for caring for a (more than a normal number) of cats?!?!?!

I have always danced to the beat of a different drum and it sure as heck never bothered me not to be like everyone else.

And I too agree whole-heartedly with CCL, well said!

The original questions is really "Does Everyone (who doesn't belong to Pet Talk) Think You're Crazy" right?

And Jen, I like you just fine!

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    There's NO WAY you're crazy! Just so long as the current families are well taken care of, and don't carry on the never ending cycle of birth..it's no one's business but yours and your cat lovin' hubby! I do rescuing, and there are more than I can count filtering through my doors every year. Luckily I have a few foster homes to take some of the overflow, but there have been times I'll admit that I can't count them all! Especially when I have several nursing moms under the roof, and their offspring. And luck has it that I just made it through my 17th year of being married on Halloween, and hubby accepts my passion, as my "life's calling", and I accept his as his music and never ending gigs. Granted there are days that (OK weeks sometimes) that he has to endure an entire family in our tiny bathroom, but so be it. They eventually find new nitches in the world. Keep being crazy...cat crazy rescuing..the world needs more passsionate persons like you & your hubby!
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~