Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Look what I just found on my backyard!!!

Look what I just found on my backyard!!!

What do I do now?? My husband gave it some lectuce sprinkled with water, and wanted to keep it in the backyard. I wanted to keep it out fearing that it may do some harm to the dogs, or the vice versa!.

I am just not sure of how to keep it out. I don't want to kill it, yet are not sure of where to bring it to.

Any suggestions?

Thanks ~Jessie~

Up North. Where all your troubles freeze and fall off.
    Does the SPCA take turtles? The best thing would probably be to release him, unless he is domestic or injured. I don't know much about turtles (near a creek, perhaps), though.
    STILL AVAILABLE BY E-MAIL

That aint no turtle thats a tortoise! Dont put it in water what ever you do.

Try and keep it some place warm. Where are you located that you would get them , unless someone's escaped.

I would call a wildlife place. Maybe your spca can give you the number for one. If it isnt kept warm it can die, unless you live in a hot place. You might want to mention that you think it might be someones pet.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

Quote Originally Posted by buttercup132
    That aint no turtle thats a tortoise! Dont put it in water what ever you do.

Try and keep it some place warm. Where are you located that you would get them , unless someone's escaped.
    What are the differences between a turtle and a tortoise?? I live in a city in California, no where near any creek or river, or stream. I rent a guest house where the owner have a very big backyard (about 25,000 sf) that is rarely taken care of, so the grasses are free to grow high. My dogs found it there, so we took it in and put it in a big plastic tub.

Is there any shelter that take in turtles? How should I check if it belongs to other people?? What is the SPCA??

Thanks ~Jessie~

Just move it to an area where your dogs can't go. There is no reason to turn a turtle/tortoise that is uninjured over to rescue. It just needs to be out of harm's way. It will be much better off fending for itself, away from your dogs.

Logan

Quote Originally Posted by Logan
    Just move it to an area where your dogs can't go. There is no reason to turn a turtle/tortoise that is uninjured over to rescue. It just needs to be out of harm's way. It will be much better off fending for itself, away from your dogs.

Logan
    thats exactly what i was gonna say.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by M&M's Mommy
    What are the differences between a turtle and a tortoise?? I live in a city in California, no where near any creek or river, or stream. I rent a guest house where the owner have a very big backyard (about 25,000 sf) that is rarely taken care of, so the grasses are free to grow high. My dogs found it there, so we took it in and put it in a big plastic tub.

Is there any shelter that take in turtles? How should I check if it belongs to other people?? What is the SPCA??
    Turtles and Tortoise belong to the same family called Testudines. However, the Tortoise is a member who is well adpated to living on land only approaching water to drink or bathe. They have a larger domed shell and thicker/more stocky legs than the Turtle. Turtles generally have smaller legs and spend a lot of time swimming in water as well as being able to venture onto land. Their shell is much flatter than that of the Tortoise, making it more streamlined for swimming.

http://www.sandiegozoo.org/animalbytes/t-turtle.html

Scroll down. There is alot of difference between the to but no site really dose good saying what they are

See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

There are lots of native land tortoises along the southwest, I see them here in Az all the time and when I lived in Texas I also saw a few.

I would call your local wildlife center, they would be able to tell you a good spot to release it or they would come and pick him to move him to a safe place.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Just wanted to add that he will not harm the dogs at all, in any way. Yup, call local wildlife rehab - if you don't know of one, call Animal Control, they'll be abel to direct you to one.

He's cute. Does he have a name? He looks like a Barney.

Good luck with your new addition.
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

It looks like an ornate box turtle. I grew up in Southwest Missouri and commonly saw both ornate and three-toed box turtles. Ornates do not eat much vegetation, they are primarily insectivores. She is probably looking for a place to hibernate. If they are not native to your region I'd definitely contact the wildlife rehab area. They like to climb into puddles of water sometimes but are not water turtles. She's cute . I miss seeing box turtles.

http://www.gpnc.org/ornate.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Karen
    Just wanted to add that he will not harm the dogs at all, in any way. Yup, call local wildlife rehab - if you don't know of one, call Animal Control, they'll be abel to direct you to one.
    I guess I fear it because I've heard that if a turtle bite onto something, it will never release it unless it's killed. I'm not sure if it's true or not, but do not want to take any chances. My dogs found the turtle, and sniffed at it a bit too closely, it scared me. I am afraid that the turtle would feel threathened and bite them, or that the dogs would flip the turtle over and got biten!

My co-worker said that turtles could carry Salmonella, and make the dogs sick. That scares me even more..

Basically I don't want to keep it, but am not sure about how to get rid of it.

Thanks ~Jessie~

He is awfully cute. Yes, I agree with what several others have said. I would get out the phone book or get online and find the nearest wildlife rescue center. They can tell you what to do. I am glad that you got pictures of him while he was there though. Good luck little fellow (or girl ).

Call a wildlife place or spca, or release it in a wild wooded area.
    There is a very old superstition that once a turtle bites it won't let go until it hears thunder. I'm sure thats where the "it won't release until dead" thought came from. It is nothing more than an old superstition. Trust me, if they didn't let go then I'd have turtle body piercings yet.
    Your risk of salmonella from a wild caught turtle is extremely low also.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Quote Originally Posted by M&M's Mommy
    I guess I fear it because I've heard that if a turtle bite onto something, it will never release it unless it's killed. I'm not sure if it's true or not, but do not want to take any chances. My dogs found the turtle, and sniffed at it a bit too closely, it scared me. I am afraid that the turtle would feel threathened and bite them, or that the dogs would flip the turtle over and got biten!

My co-worker said that turtles could carry Salmonella, and make the dogs sick. That scares me even more..

Basically I don't want to keep it, but am not sure about how to get rid of it.
    That is a myth about them biting and not letting go. Box turtles are very docile and will close up in their shells if threathened. I've handled them many many times, fed them from my hand before etc, while growing up. They are not like snapping turtles or water turtles. The link I posted tells you more about ornates, this one is obviously a girl . As far as salmonella, just wash your hands if you handle her. They used to come in and out of our yard all the time. There's nothing to fear from her. If they are native to your area you will more than likely be advised to just let her go on her natural way.