Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Desperately Seeking Advise

You can continue to try & let them get their pack order straight, but personally, I would opt for the emotional health of the older dog. Went through something similar here - had two dogs, one died, eventually tried to introduce another dog to my female, Star. but she is the Queen of the Universe, and the other dog started to annoy her. (took her food away, peed on her house, knocked her out of the way all the time) She got extremely withdrawn & moody - not like her usual outgoing self. She started having hot spots again & was very nervous. She refused to get into a car with him. She finally bite him in the face one day after he'd been here a month... I returned him to the shelter once he healed up. He was very successfully rehomed as an only dog. We did finally find a dog whose personality (submissive) worked well with her, and now they are inseparable. Peace is bliss. Just like with people, not everyone gets along, even though we'd like them to.

I'm glad to hear you went through a similar situation with your older dog. It's a tough call. I know it has only been a week and I have tried to stay positive, hoping that they will establish their ranks in the house, but seeing Maggie in this state, I couldn't chance giving it another 2 weeks or so.

Yes...my darling Maggie is queen of her domain too, although I think she is quite intimidated by his size and strength. She too has become very moody and unresponsive, but is also very dehydrated. I'm sure this is the cause of the prolonged vomiting and diarrhea. She won't come near me until it's time to go to bed. Hopefully she will bounce back soon after the puppy is gone.

We are bringing the puppy Dane back to the rescue/foster home on Sunday. It's going to be so hard to say good-by to this big goofy fella, but it's for the best...I think! (I am so attached to him)

Wishing everyone a great Friday!

Thanks to everyone for their feedback...I really appreciate your advice

have a great day

New Dog

I am so sorry to hear about the problems you have been having. What is it they say no good deed goes unpunished. I don't have any advice, just wanted you to know I think you are doing a good thing and which ever why you decide to go it is apperent your heart is in the right place. Best of luck.

Thank you Merigold2...I do feel I am making the right decision, for everyone's sake. We will definitely get another dane, or two (puppies) once Maggie passes on.

Cyber-sibes, I'm sorry...I just read my reply back to you and I didn't mean to come across that I am "Glad you went through the same thing..." What I meant to say was that I'm glad that there is someone else out there who has experienced the same unfortunate situation as I have and making the decision to get rid of the new pup was a very difficult one.

Sorry if you misenterpreted it...I did!

Have a great day!

oh, not a problem, I didn't take it that way at all. sometimes it helps to know you arent' the only one whose had a problem. Your decision to return the dane sounds like the right call in this case. Hope Maggie bounces back soon - I'm sure she will!

Smile Your Problem with Maggie

When you rescue a large dog .
    It is wise to know it's history as it could become a danger to you and other pets that you have in the house. You could use a trainner,but he or she will have a big job correcting bad habits that he may have aquired .If your dog is weak or (not well) a large dog by instinct will seek to harm her . so I might suggest that you take the dog back and wait to do your good deed of helping some poor maltreated animal when you can give it all your attention and even then it is a lot of work to correct the wrong that has been done to the poor animal . Only when with a litle guidance from a trainer or behavior specalist will you succeed. I hope this will help . Yours truly, Hugo ....

Hugo, you have a very good point...I never even gave that any consideration. As for the background history on the rescued Dane, very little was provided, other than he was "Sweet", a 'real Gem" and great with other dogs and cats, but needed work in the obedience department. We really don't know if he was the alpha of the litter or had to fight for his food...no one knows!

We ended up bringing the Dane back to the foster home last Sunday...it was so hard and I was an emotional wreck. Even though we had him for only a week, I grew very attached to him. But I had to consider Maggie's health above anything else. it comforts me to know that he has gone to a foster home where someone will work on his "Issues". He will be well taken care of.

Maggie is starting to come around...She finally ate a full meal on Monday morning (after the dane was out of her house and her food dish put back in it's normal spot)...she is still a little unresponsive towards me, but I think she's still mad at me for bringing this beast into her house. They are creatures of habit!

We will consider rescueing another dog after Maggie passes on.

Thanks to all for your great advise and support....much appreciated! It made the decision to bring the dog back a little less difficult (I don't feel so guilty).

Have a great day!

I am sorry to hear that, but I do believe its for the best. Not only did you do what was right for you, but probably him too. Maybe he needs a no other dog type of him.

I'm so sorry you had to take the Dane back... but it was for the best!

Hugs to you and please feel free to post pictures of Maggie!!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

I had to do the same with my rainbow Thandi, the rhodesian ridgeback. She had been with goldens as a youngster and so we adopted one, but with 10 hours I knew it was a huge mistake and took the golden back to the rescue people. After Thandi died we rescued first Mika, a boxer/lab/heinz and a year later Chloe, a shep/rottie/bc and they live soooo incredibly happily together. Sometimes the older dogs just can't give up half of their space. You did the right thing.

Thandi, sorry you had to go through that as well...we think we're doing the right thing, a) by rescuing another dog, and b) thinking that the older dog needs a companion...but, sometimes things don't work out that way. Maggie's age and disposition would not allow any other dog in her space, inside or out. I brought so much stress into Maggie's life, and after one day, I felt so guilty for doing this to her. I also felt so obligated to Great Dane Rescue and to this dane to make the relationship work, knowing in my heart that it was a huge mistake. Now I can say "we tried..."

Thank you all for being so supportive...I'm so glad I found this site. Have a great Friday...!!!

Here's a picture of Maggie
    Attached Images Attached Images