Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will NOT listen..

Will NOT listen..

I don't know what to do. No matter what I do, Josie will not listen if she totally doesn't want to. She STILL barks at nothing when shes outside, and we've tried everything. We do it constant so she will learn. My dad even made her wear those stupid bark collars (which I HATE) but he says she can't be out there barking at everyone and everything. I never put it on when she went out, she used to howel, then wrimper, then the wimper would shock her too, then she'd wimper again, etc. So I'd have to run to her rescue and comfort her..lol definitly not teaching her anything.
    Its mostly when shes outside she won't listen. IF she sees a dog walking, then she bark and bark, and I could be calling her, and it seems to go in one ear, and out the other.

When shes indoors, and she sees our neighbors (the ones with the dog) she'll start to cry, and she won't lay off it until they are completly out of site. (closing the door or curtions doesn't count..she KNOWS..)

I just want her to listen. I know I've constantly been asking for help, but a lot of new ppl have joined with new ideas...maybe someone knows of a good way to help??
    I need that dr. stanley guy from good dog! lol..

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

My suggestion is to call a trainer. That's what we're going to do with Max the wunderweim, so came to us pretty well trained, but now that's he's here, he needs some refreshers. Our insurance person's daughter does dog training so she may be our lead.

Good luck!

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Thanks, I'm not to sure if there is any/many trainers around here, not to mention I doubt my dad would like the idea. He figures..heck, I don't know what he figures..

Our Yellow Lab barks alot too, especially outside at anything that moves. I think Labs have better noses, their scent is stronger than most dogs therefore they are more aware of what is going on around them...or want to know more of whats happening around them. All dogs are protective of there loved ones and territory, I don't punish our dog at all for barking, its his job in a way, instead I get up and check it out. Several times it was someone in our alleyway that should not have been there, the barking keeps trouble makers away. I think its a waste to teach a dog NOT to bark. But I do understand how annoying it can be if its constant, instead of a trainer...take him to a vet, he might be hurting or something physically wrong. Just a thought, I'm no expert on barking but I am a dog lover!

Its not that we find it annoying or not, its that it bothers the neighbors to hear her howling all the time. I don't think anythings wrong other then shes afraid of everything! hehe! Thanks for the advise :]

Just thinking about something....

we live in small town, only one fire station and not a whole lot of crime, so sirens are not a problem. But our lab really starts in howling before we hear the sirens, maybe you live near a fire station? Police Station? or some sort of factory with a high pitch machinery? It can really hurt their ears. I guess we are lucky enough that our neighbors like our dog too, they have told us many times they are not bothered by his barking, they rather feel safer. We have a yorkie also...who stays inside 99% of the time, when Beau (our lab) barks outside, Chewy runs to all the windows in the house...looking to see what Beau is barking at, as if he is the boss and checking the seriousness of it all.
    I don't think we could survive in this world without our little helpers! Have a nice evening

thanks

We also live in a small place. We're not that close to the firestation or anything, and we rarely hear anything (not many fires etc) I think maybe when she was a pup we spoiled her..like for example a big truck would speed by and scare her, so we'd pick her up and cuddle her. So now she probably just to scared of everything lol. As far as I know, our neighbors like my dogs, but I still don't like the fact shes barking, even if they say it might not bother them to much. I'm only certian about 2-3 of our neighbors. most have dogs of their own. So, I'm not sure, Jo's just weird I guess hehe! Thanks for your advice!

Lucky for me Buddy is not a barker! BUT the lab we had before would bark all the time outside - some dogs are just more prone to bark and it can really get the neighbors MAD to say the least!
    We soloved the problem by using a spray bottle of water and squirted her in the face when she barked and finally all I had to do was show her the spray bottle and she would stop barking. I also would say NO BARK when I corrected her. She did still bark when something was out of the norm ect.

My Sammie barks a lot also. She barks out the window if she senses or sees anyone. She's very protective of the house and the grounds around it (we live in a townhouse development). Has your dog been socialized? Sammie is much better now since I've taken her to doggie daycare. I'm not too worried about her barking, she is a dog for goodness-sake and that's what dogs do...it would be like telling humans to stop talking.

I've also read that you can teach your dog to bark on command and that may minimize the barking. Anyway, good luck with your doggie!!!!

Cathy, Sammie, & Maggie

"If you can't decide between a Shepherd, a Setter
    or a Poodle, get them all ... adopt a mutt!" -- ASPCA

Thanks :] Yes Jo is socialized. She's been to obedience classes, and she is super friendly to ppl and dogs. She just barks at them, maybe she wants to go play? She can bark on command too. I'll have to try the spray. Thanks a lot for all your help

I think your dog has established that she is the alpha leader in your family. You need to establish that you are the alpha. This is your first priority. Obidence training is a must, maybe try to do some more training in a class and on your own. As for the barking don't use a shock collar or the other collars on the market. Have a pop can with about 10 - 20 pennies in side with the top tapped up. Have it where your dog can't see it. When she barks give it a couple good shakes close to her and a very firm NO. You have to be super consistant. Consistancy is the key to sucess. you can also try a super soaker either with water or water and a little lemon juice or bitter apple. Aim for the mouth and again a firm NO.
    Make sure she is getting lots of excercise. When she sees the other dogs outside keep her busy with a fav toy or pop out some good treats. Always make sure to praise her when she doesn't bark. Good luck and let me know how it turns out.

My Skoob and now my Lilli barks preety much too. I do the same thing by going and looking out the window or door just to see what it is he's barking at. If it's someone walking by, I usually let him bark a "few" more times and if he's still going at it after their out of site (for a few) I kind of raise my voice somewhat almost if to scold him and tell him, "THAT'S ENOUGH SKOOB!" I guess I'm lucky, that's usually all it takes. Now when he was a little younger, he'd bark at the kids at the door for my kids. It got really anoying at times so I'd just call him over to me (if that didn't work I'd pick him up) and try to distract him by rubbing his belly. Just a thought, worked for me. Good Luck!

Good luck! I hope that you get a better response soon.

how about a little positive reinforcement?

I knew a dog that barked in the car. After one trip of treats he stopped barking, and he got it. Eventually, a quiet car ride would mean one treat. Try it. I used goldfish (crackers, not real fish!).....

Dogs will do just about anything for a treat!

Let me know if it works.....!

Just say "NO barks"....and when he stops, say "Good doggie"...and give him a treat..... then do it the next time, assuming he will be right by your side or nearby when it happens. So you will be rewarding good behavior and discouraging bad behavior. When you find yourself in a situation wwhen you think he would normally bark, say the No barks thing, then good doggie, then give him a treat for NOT barking....

Good luck.

Thanks all. She TOTALLY ignores me when I correct her. This dog walked by and she HOWLED, and I said Jo! Thats enough! no bark!..then she'd stop for a min, and I'd say be good..And she'd howl again, not even looking at me. When I take her in, and make her sit in her chair thing, I tell her bad, and she wags her tail!? Like she's never heard it before? She has though. We have a big yard, so I can't run after her everytime she barks, cause she zooms away from me. I think she thinks shes the alpha too, but she does what she's told inside..so I don't know..