Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Luna's lump is still there: Need opinions, please!

Luna's lump is still there: Need opinions, please!

As you may remember, I detected a lump between Luna's shoulder blades in early August. It had the size of a cherry pit and was movable. It was deep in the fatty tissue.

After hearing the opinion of 5 (!) different vets in August (my regular vet was on vacation at that time), I decided to have no surgery for the time being. Even though none of these vets could give me a guarantee, they were all positive that it was no sarcoma, but possibly a reaction of the connective tissue to an injection (Luna had lots of antibiotic shots last winter when she had this bad UTI).

Except for the vet in the vet clinic (which is well-known for being quick with the decision to have surgerie), all the other vets recommended to wait and monitor the lump. One gave me a homeopathic remedy, Silicea, to support the immune system to fight the lump. And they all said that if it was a sarcoma or another type of a malignant tumor, it would grow quickly.

Anyway, Luna got her Silicea and I checked the lump every couple of days, and I think it was September when I felt it has gotten smaller. I took her to my vet and she agreed that this was a good sign. You will probably understand how very relieved I was.

After that, I didn't check the lump so often, but today, I wanted to find out if it's still there and I found it's back to its original size, like a cherry pit. So we went back to the vet, but she still believes it's only a connective tissue reaction; she said sometimes they would stay forever. She also mentioned that it would have grown much more if it was cancer, but said if I want to be sure, Luna needs to have surgery. I asked her what she would do if Luna was her cat, and she said she would wait, and wouldn't do it at this point.

But I'm not sure what to do. A part of me wants to know what the lump is, but I would hate it to put her through all this stress again. She's been through a lot the past years, and three years ago, she had already a lump removed, also in that area, and it was very painful. And I know that she cannot tolerate anaesthesia very well; they last time she had one, she acted very strange. Besides, I'm almost ashamed to say that but atm, it would be a financial problem also.

On the other hand, I don't want to feel guilty one day if she develops cancer because I waited too long. But for some strange reason, all my insticts are telling me not to do that surgery now. I don't know why, I'm usually not like that.

So what do you think? What would you do?

I'm sorry this is longer than I have planned.

If anyone wants to read the entire story, here are the previous threads:

OMG, there's a lump between Luna's shoulder blades!!!

A Luna update...

Kirsten

Forgot to say: She's now on Silicea again, if that remedy was responsible for the lump decreasing in size, it may work again...

Kirsten

Is it possible for the vet to poke a needle into the lump and remove some of the cells for viewing under a microscope?

That is what my vet did for the lump on Sasha's belly. He and I looked at the cells under the microscope together and he told me it was just fat. He's been my vet for 14 years - we have an awesome relationship.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

It would be possible, yes - but won't make much sense, as she'd need anaesthesia for this as well. Besides, in case it's cancer, there's a high risk of spreading the tumor cells that way. My vet is thinking the same.

It's either surgery - or waiting and watching...

Kirsten

I'm with Queen of Poop - couldn't they do a needle biopsy, just take a tiny sliver for pathology?

If she were my cat, I'd be done waiting. You've given the lump a chance to go away or grow. It's still there, and from what I am picking up from your posts - it's driving you nuts!! Right?

So find out what kind of tissue is there - then make an informed decision on how to proceed.

Is this lump bothering the cat at all? Is she itching the area? Rolling on it? Any signs it is an issue for her?

Precios Had A Lump On Her Shoulder For A Year Before The Vet Removed It.
    It Was Just Some Fatty Tissue.
    If Its Not Bothering Luna, I Wouldnt Worry.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I had a fine needle aspiration on my lymph node in the back of my head recently with no anesthetic! It was painful, but not totally unbearable. I think a FNA is the most logical approach!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Um - Kirsten's vet did NOT recommend the needle biopsy as it would wreak havoc if it WAS cancer! That's what I read in her response, anyway.

Kirsten, go with your gut - try the Silicea for now, and see if it helps.

Just might be one of those pesky lumps!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Thumper had her needle biospy done with novicane (like dentist uses for numbing teeth) and she didnt feel anything from the experience.

Please learn from my present experience with Thumper, that "let's wait and see" is not what a vet should be saying when there is a "lump". You cant tell anything from justing looking using the naked eye, I dont care how qualified a vet, they arent super natural people who can see through objects.

I'd get a needle biopsy.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1
    Um - Kirsten's vet did NOT recommend the needle biopsy as it would wreak havoc if it WAS cancer! That's what I read in her response, anyway.

Kirsten, go with your gut - try the Silicea for now, and see if it helps.

Just might be one of those pesky lumps!

Then why do they risk wreaking havoc on humans? Just curious what the difference is ... do you know?

Kim

Because a lot of humans have insurance plans that help with paying for the havoc!

But it seems to me there are times I've heard of where a doctor doens't want to "open someone up" for an exploratory, as the effect of that on possible cancer is like putting gas on a fire.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1
    Because a lot of humans have insurance plans that help with paying for the havoc!

But it seems to me there are times I've heard of where a doctor doens't want to "open someone up" for an exploratory, as the effect of that on possible cancer is like putting gas on a fire.
    Yes, I do know that is true for exploratory surgery of cancer. But I would think with just a fine needle aspiration it wouldn't really cause much damage since it was really being cut in to. But that's just my thinking ... not based on any facts!

I thought that was an "old wives tale" about cancer spreading once you were opened up?

Anyway I have had a fatty tissue lump on my jaw since I was 12, I am 45, I can't remember what they called it.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

My mother had breast cancer and had several needle biopsies to confirm the cancer. They never caused more problems.

Kirsten - I'm the wait and see kind of person but if you don't feel comfortable with that then get another opinion.

From Decker with Love