Thread: Hyperactive

Hyperactive

I acquired a cocker spaniel when it was 3 months old. I have since gotten a Labrador cross Staffie. The purpose of getting the second dog was as a playmate for the pup, however these two have now become outragous and are wrecking my home and garden. No matter what I do they do not listen and carry on regardless. They keep me awake at night and if they do fall asleep, the latest they wake up is at 4am. Can anyone give me some hints.

You say no matter what you do they don't listen. Can you explain some of the things you do so we can have a better idea of what you have tried?

It sounds like both the dogs don't recognize you as the leader of the pack. Do you ever separate them? Do they take obedience classes?

It does sound like they need to go to a basic obedience class - not only will it teach them, more importantly, it will help you learn how to deal with them. I would call your vet, or a nearby animal shelter, and ask if they have any recommendations for a good obedience class for your dogs, and ask whether you should bring both dogs, or one at a time.

It sounds like they are running you, and not the other way around. Good luck, and do let us know what you decide. The sooner you do this, the sooner things will settle down!
    I've Been Frosted

Most dog folks here will agree that helping puppies learn to behave can be a struggle! But remember, you are helping them when you are strong and stick to the training.

Looking at those sweet faces makes it difficult not to give in - we love those puppy eyes! But be consistant, not harsh, and they will get better and better because they want to please you! Good luck!
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Two wonderful breeds, but both known for being very active!! What a joy they are, but I know the story of the destruction. We have it here too!

First of all, plant everything you love to look at in the front yard! And understand with two young dogs, maintaining a backyard is hard. I am finding that as mine get older, they are a little better, but I'm a long way from having a "showplace".

And secondly, as the others said, commit yourself to training, whether you use a good book, or obedience school. I would certainly advocate the obedience school as they will train you, as well as the dog. And take them one at a time, and work with them, one at a time. I never had any success with both dogs in training at the same time, nor was I able to work on our lessons anywhere near the other dog.

You'll get there, but it is WORK!!! Good luck!

I'm with everyone else here- definately some obedience needed, and you need to be the leader in a very consistent way. I know what you are going through, because I am dealing with it right now. My dog is not a puppy, but she is strong-willed and smart. If I let my guard down just a little, she takes advantage. It is taking ME a long time to realize that I have to be the 'alpha' at all times, and it is difficult sometimes. Go to obedience classes AND read some books- you will be amazed at what you will learn and how much it will help! Good luck.
    Kedi, Wylie, Rudy, and the dog Scout!

Originally posted by yorkster:
    <STRONG>Go to obedience classes AND read some books- you will be amazed at what you will learn and how much it will help! Good luck.</STRONG>
    I couldn't agree more. You didn't say how old each dog was at this time. If they are still young puppies, getting you up early may be linked to their need to go out to do their business. Be thankful for that and as they mature, they should be able to wait until daybreak at least. Having one puppy can be a challenge, having two younger dogs at the same time may test your sanity. Good luck in your efforts to get control of the situation so your dogs and you will all learn to enjoy your life together.

[ October 12, 2001: Message edited by: RachelJ ]

I have 2 words for you: obedience school! That will do incredible things to the attitudes of the dogs and it will increase their willingness and eagerness to listen to you and it is also a very bonding experience between dog and handler. It will be much easier to control 2 active dogs after both of them have been through at least one obedience class.

Best of luck and welcome to the site I hope this advice that everyone is giving you and I hope you keep us updated on their progress. I would also LOVE to see some pictures if you have any to share

The obedience class is a great idea.
    Although i didn't take my dog to a class.I trained him myself. Another thought is to try a squirt bottle filled with water. When they get out of hand playing and such give them the command "no" (or whatever you decide to use) as you squirt them. I have used this and it works well.I had to use this for my dog kept biting at my feet when i took him outside and just the command no did not help.Neither did trying to distract him.Now he no longer does this but on occasion to test me. All i have to do is show him the bottle and he stops.

[ October 12, 2001: Message edited by: AngieS ]

I agree with mostly everyone else here. My cousin has a labrador, who is about 4 or 5 months old now. He is very hyperactive. If we step in the door, he gets very excited and rushes right to us. Though, my cousin hasn't had much trouble getting him to listen to some of her commands. Still, he gets worked up a lot. She's going to bring him to obedience classes soon. There was also I book that I found that may have been of use to her. The book is: The Perfect Puppy : How to Raise a Well-Behaved Dog
    by Gwen Bailey. I'm sure you could find it on amazon.com.

Hope all this helps!
    "Whoever said money can't buy happiness forgot about dogs."

Well, my two cents would also include obedience school and Logan has the right of it -- one at a time. However, there are other things to look at. What do you feed these two? Look at the ingredients of the food and if you find corn in the first three, look for another food with no corn in it. A good chicken and rice or lamb and rice diet should help some. Make the transition over the course of a few days, if you decide to change their food. Corn is a complex carbohydrate that can make active animals "hot" -- so full of energy they don't know what to do with themselves and generally end up being unintentionally destructive because of all the extra energy.

How old are these "children"? The cocker should be maturing some at age one (give or take a few months) and the lab/staffie around age two. Are they teething? Do you have crates for them -- separate crates? Do you ever work with them individually on-leash? Do they even know their names?

Even though it sounds like you have a fenced back yard, you might consider installing a tie-out for a temporary measure and let them out singly for potty sessions. It should be situated so they cannot reach the plants you want to save and yet handy enough so you can get hold of the line to "draw" them in as you call for whoever is out. That way, they learn that the yard is not to be "eaten" and that when you say "Come" (only one command, please), you mean come now. As you reel the dog in on the line, give lots of praise along the lines of "Good come," "what a good dog to come," etc.

You might also consider a smaller fenced area that they can play in freely. Something like a couple of exercise pens hooked together or a good sized dog run. Then, you can put them in the fenced area to blow off steam and get out some of that energy, but not destroy the yard.

Inside, I would have separate crates and occasional time-out time. They should do better in airline types as that will give them the old "den" feeling. It is also a good way to housebreak if the crate fits right. This way, you also have the option of working with each dog separately while the other is in the crate and they should begin to listen to you more. Try teaching each of them tricks -- shake, sit pretty, rollover, etc. Use treats and that should help get their attention on you and what you are saying.

I also agree that the squirt bottle can be a help, but is difficult to catch both of them if they're racing across the yard and such like. How about a hose? Can you squirt them with the hose when they are being naughty in the yard? Anything that will suggest that being at a distance from you will not allow impunity from some sort of discipline while not necessarily implicating you as the disciplinarian. Not that that is bad, but sometimes they need to think that being naughty has consequences from other sources. Then, you can use the squirt bottle for the house. Shake cans sometimes have a good effect as well. It is something like a coke can with a few pennies or rocks inside that really rattle when shaken. The principle is to distract the dogs from whatever they are up to they shouldn't be and allows you to divert their attention to their toys/chewies.

Sure hope some of this helps. Let us know.
    "Every creature is a word of God."
    Meister Eckhart, Animal Blessings
    Dog Potentials

To everyone that so kindly sent me replies with regards to my two hooligans, thanks very much. Just to let you know, Amber (spaniel pup 6 months old) will be taking her first obedience class on Saturday morning. Max (Lab 18 months) will take a little more time, he comes from an abused background and at the moment I cannot get him into the car and it's impossible to get a leash on him. But thanks to all of your hints, I am working on it and will keep you all updated.

Simi