Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Staffy pup???

Staffy pup???

Hi my dog felicity has just given birth (by C-section) to one single puppy. This is her second litter to the same father and in her last litter she had 8 big boy pups. THis time we have only one very large male pup. I was just wondering if anyone new why this might of happened and also if anyone knows the average weight of a staffy pup at birth? thankyou

Why was she bred in the first place?

This might help determine what is wrong.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

RIGHT????
    I take it we are an anti breeding site are we????
    Not that I have to justify myself but she was bred in the hope of producing a female pup to carry on her lineage wich my family has owned since 1924 when my grandpa brought his first staffordshire puppy with him when he emmigrated from England.
    Having said that does anyone have any usefull answers to help me out or is ALL breeding so Taboo that I should write this site off and try alsewhere?

If the line is so important, I would assume you know what your doing. Isn't this a question for, say, a vet (or someone who knows the breed)? Not an online forum?

Not anti-breeding here, just anti-idiot.

Hilarious.
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Robert McCloskey

No need to get worked up..
    Most people on here yes are anti breeding especially if they arent shown
    I find that hard to belive that your grandfather brought over the first
    Staffie puppy though.
    I think that if you have bred and your grandfather did bring the first Staffie
    over then your knowlage should be great on the breed, and the genetics
    of them. Because of course you wouldnt breed without knowing how
    genetics work. And if you guys have owned a pup from each generation
    (of people) then you should know the background of the grand parents etc
    wich is what would have effected your dog.
    See ALL my pets here

Quote Originally Posted by mydogflick
    RIGHT????
    I take it we are an anti breeding site are we????
    Not that I have to justify myself but she was bred in the hope of producing a female pup to carry on her lineage wich my family has owned since 1924 when my grandpa brought his first staffordshire puppy with him when he emmigrated from England.
    Having said that does anyone have any usefull answers to help me out or is ALL breeding so Taboo that I should write this site off and try alsewhere?
    If your dog had a cesearean section, wouldnt you have asked the vet why she only had one puppy??? also if you are carrying on a lineage, wouldnt you by now know alkl there is to breeding?? especially since this has been going on since 1924????? seems like you should also know the average weight of a puppy! just an observation!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

I have spoken to our vet about this and he could only offer his generalised thoughts as to why only one pup was born . I was just hoping for a couple of opinions from people who I presumed might have something to offer and I therefore would be able to broaden my knowledge. As to the weight of the puppy I know what the textbooks say the average weight is but I again was hoping for some information from people who had hands on knowledge. I am presuming from the responses that I was wrong and maybe I haven chosen the wrong arena if I am expecting any pracitical or positive help? Just a simple "We dont know " would of been appreciated

Just t o clear one thing up my grandfather did not bring over the first staffy pup to Australia . Just HIS first pup wich our family including all my brothers and sisters and my cousins all have a relative of . We sont breed to Show we breed to Love

Quote Originally Posted by mydogflick
    We sont breed to Show we breed to Love
    And that right there is the reason not to breed.
    I'm taking it as you have been to other sites that have told you not to
    breed because you do it for the wrong reason and that it why you got
    worked up so fast. Breeding for temperment is NOT a reason to breed.
    I think we need to go back a few generations on you family and re educate
    them about breeding. The ONLY reason a dog should be bred is if they
    have champion titles.
    See ALL my pets here

Quote Originally Posted by critter crazy
    seems like you should also know the average weight of a puppy! just an observation!
    Ya I agree
    See ALL my pets here

Quote Originally Posted by buttercup132
    The ONLY reason a dog should be bred is if they have champion titles.
    Gonna have to unfortunately disagree with you there. There are breeders who can't even figure out a good Ch. X Ch. breeding. I meet plenty of wonderful examples of my breed who had a parent that didn't show (non-Ch.). The thing is: the breeders know what they are doing. I *love* seeing dogs with Ch. in front of their name also have titles at the end... you can have the beauty but I also want brains.

But yes, breeding soley for pets is irresponsible.
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Robert McCloskey

buttercup I must say all your pets look loved and yet not one of them looks like a champion why is that??? In fact most dont even look pedigree!!!!
    I think its fairly sad that you think of animals as a commodity. Lucky humans dont addopt that line of thinking. Im thinking we wouldnt be having this conversation if they had. How very aryan of you. Once again I am only asking for the OPINIONS of educated and thoughtful doggy friends please no ramblings by kanine right wingers

OP: Get in touch with the breed's club and actually educate yourself.
    Robert McCloskey

I think you people are being very, very rude to this person.You make me
    ashamed to think you actually belong to this forum. Shame on you.

I have no idea why some dogs have single pups, but just know that it does
    happen.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

There is a forum that I am a member of that is a pit bull forum, but not everyone on there only has pit bulls.

There is one particular person on the board that owns and has bred 1 litter of staffy bulls.. Her's are health tested, shown, temperment tested, etc.

The web address to that forum is

www.pitbullforum.com

Maybe she could be of some help.