Thread: Words

Words

What is the difference between something having "function" and having "functionality"?

There are many words today that seem to be contrived. Is there really a need for these or are they created just to sound more technical?

Well, how I use them is -

I use a 'function' when talking about something specific about a product or unit (i.e. the function of the PTZ button is to access the settings of the Pan-Tilt-Zoom camera in the following ways ... ).

I use 'functionality' or 'functionalities' when describing a broad range of things on one page, without going into detail. So, as a broad overview of an entire product (i.e. on a page titled 'MODEL #### FUNCTIONALITIES' and a bullet list of some of things that I would like to highlight about the unit.) I also often use 'features' instead of 'functionality' though.

So, something like --

Model ## Functionalities Include:
    - Record up to ### hours of real time data
    - Motion, Alarm, and Scheduled Recording Types
    - Backup of data to USB memory stick or portable HDD

And later into it I would describe how each of the 'functions' works indepth.

I don't know if that helps or makes it more confusing -- i think that using 'functionality' is more of a marketing spin on things though

How about "signs" and "signage"....another made up word to sound more impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary
    How about "signs" and "signage"....another made up word to sound more impressive!

I swear, all the words that are "...ages" are just silly to me. They always sound so contrived and phony. I think some people don't have enough to do at their jobs. Although I do refer to my children as "The Spawnage."

Here's what the dictionary says:

Main Entry: func·tion·al·i·ty
    Pronunciation: "f&[ng](k)-sh&-'na-l&-tE
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural -ties
    : the quality or state of being functional; especially : the particular set of functions or capabilities associated with computer software or hardware or an electronic device

and

Main Entry: 1func·tion
    Pronunciation: 'f&[ng](k)-sh&n
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Latin function-, functio performance, from fungi to perform; probably akin to Sanskrit bhunkte he enjoys
    1 : professional or official position : OCCUPATION
    2 : the action for which a person or thing is specially fitted or used or for which a thing exists : PURPOSE
    3 : any of a group of related actions contributing to a larger action; especially : the normal and specific contribution of a bodily part to the economy of a living organism
    4 : an official or formal ceremony or social gathering
    5 a : a mathematical correspondence that assigns exactly one element of one set to each element of the same or another set b : a variable (as a quality, trait, or measurement) that depends on and varies with another ; also : RESULT
    6 : characteristic behavior of a chemical compound due to a particular reactive unit; also : FUNCTIONAL GROUP
    7 : a computer subroutine; specifically : one that performs a calculation with variables provided by a program and supplies the program with a single result
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

technics and technology is another couple like that.

And we wonder why our language is so hard for some to learn!

I think Sara is right; sounds impressive. Probably started by a politician.