Thread: Australian sheep dog

Australian sheep dog

Does anyone know much about them?

I will be looking after one next week, does anyone have a pic?

All I know is that they are BUSY, working dogs!! You'll be sure to get your exercise, Heather!!!

Try here. You might want to do a search too, and see if there are any others who have been Dog of the Day. But Clarence, shown in this link, was DOTD on 4/19/2002

http://dogoftheday.com/archive/2002/April/19.html

Heather--
    I own an Aussie! Eli is an absolutely WONDERFUL dog: smart, funny, athletic, affectionate, energetic. You can see pictures of him if you click on my photo album link below (he's the black tricolor dog in the pics). I highly recommend Aussies, but only for people who can spend lots of time with them, teach them things, go places with them. They do NOT do well left alone in a yard all day. They are really "people dogs"!

Here's a link to an excellent, very thorough website all about Aussies: http://www.maculated.com/index.html

The hairy kids' photo album

Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.
    -Pythagoras

We own 1 full (who, I might add looks EXACTLY like Clarence) and 1 that is 3/4 Aussie (who has been nominated by Mike for DOTD) and Shawna (the full) isn't as rambunctious as Sox, but she does LOVE to herd!! They are real lovers. You will have a lot of fun with them.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Mugsy, I just went back to look at your Webshots albums and MY GOODNESS is Shawna a beautiful girl! I love the red Aussies--her colors are gorgeous. What's her story?? Have you ever put her on livestock or geese and let her herd?

-Pythagoras

We got Shawna from the Shelter after she had been there over a month and no one was looking at her, but she was so sweet that they couldn't bring themselves to put her down. We were going to take her the day we took Jazzy, but she seemed a little bit afraid of Sox, so we waited a week and then I just forget it and went back and got her.

We have never tried her on livestock or geese, simply because we don't know anyone who has any that want to have them herded!! lol

Doesn't she look incredibly like Clarence???

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

She looks like the spittin' image of Clarence! What a great story, too--her still being there for you after 5 long weeks at the shelter is incredible. It was obviously meant to be!

If you don't have access to people with barnyard animals for her to try herding, you could always let her round up your elementary school students after recess! (Just joking, of course--although she and the kids would probably have a ball... )

-Pythagoras