Thread: Need help for my little dachshund??

Need help for my little dachshund??

I have a little mini dachshund that is 4 years old. Every fall season, she gets the little dry scabs on her and they make her itch real bad. The vet says it is allergies. She is a short hair sable with red hair.

It does sound like allergies. Can the vet give you any antihistamine cream, or antihistamine pills for her?

If it happens every fall, and being so low to the ground its probably leaf molds or ragweed. I agree- did you vet give you medication for it?

Doctor put her on atopica(spelling)*. I hope this helps. What do yall think?

Let us know how it works - each being (human, canine) reacts differently to different medications, I have sadly experienced with myself!

Quote Originally Posted by alamo707
    Doctor put her on atopica(spelling)*. I hope this helps. What do yall think?
    That sounds right.. Also bathing her in puppy shampoo once a week will remove the built up pollen as well..

My grandmother has a Chihuahua that does the same thing. She took her to the vet and Concho now gets a shot every fall. I'll have to ask my grandma what it's called but Concho hasn't had a problem in two years now. If you want to know the name of it I will ask for you.

Yes. That would be great.

Still not any better

Some medications can take up to a month to start working. I recommend bathing her in a soothing shampoo once a week to remove environmental allergens, and wiping her down with a antibacterial baby wipe every day when she comes in from walks. For a shampoo, try ones with soothing agents -- lavender, aloe, callandula, wheat grass, etc.

It could perhaps be a food allergy. What kind of food is she on?
    I've been BOO'd!

Going to call the vet today. Anyone know anything else to try?

Could try a cortisone shot...maybe a medicated shampoo...benadryl can help. Are the scabs all over, or on specific parts of the body? Is the skin red at all? The scabs are probably from her itching. Is she on flea prevention? She could have a flea allergy also.

She has been on atopica now for 2 weeks and benadryl every so often. We also use the medicated shampoo twice a week as well. I will try to post pics later. The scabs are down the center of her back and a few on the sides. You can only see a few of the scabs but you can see the little spots where they are under her hair.

I would get a full workup done. A typical grass/mold/pollen allergy are typically on the underside of the dog- feet, belly, etc. It's hard to say what's going on especially if we can't see the dog. Maybe you could post a picture?

I would ask for (if they haven't done it already) a skin scrape to rule out mange, a once over with the wood's lamp (blacklight) to show if it is a fungus, and then maybe a fungasay test, where they pull the hair and stick in a bottle and see if it changes colors (would show fungus). Unless the doc is sure it's allergies. Some vets just assume its allergies without any other diagnostics. Provided you rule those out, then maybe allergy testing. It sounds like the doc thinks its an outdoor allergy and not a food allergy. Maybe try putting a dog jacket on her when she goes out, see if that helps. Anyways, if you could get some pictures that would be great. Best of luck!

Hello, I am Chica's mom.
    Chica has a sensitivity to Advantix, the medication for fleas and ticks. It makes her scrach really bad. I changed to Frontline Plus. This doesn't irritate her skin. Maybe it could be the Flea medicine you are using.