Thread: Why does my dog eat his feces?

Question Why does my dog eat his feces?

Hi! I have a 7 year old Chocolate Lab named Jake. He seems to go through phases where he eats his own feces. He's in one of those phases now and it's really disgusting! Is he not getting enough food or the proper nutrition, or could it be something else?

Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated - thanks!

Peace,
    Wendy

Hi! It's called copraphagia - and has been discussed here many a time. So you are not alone, see here for an old thread that includes links to an even older one. It may be helpful to you

And welcome to Pet Talk!

In my case, Mirko doesnt eat his poop but he could possibly eat any cats feces in my garden..

until today if we see he'd gonna eat the feces, we'd mad at him. I dont know whether it's gonna solve the problem or not... any other thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by wpotterygirl
    Hi! I have a 7 year old Chocolate Lab named Jake. He seems to go through phases where he eats his own feces. He's in one of those phases now and it's really disgusting! Is he not getting enough food or the proper nutrition, or could it be something else?

Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated - thanks!

Peace,
    Wendy
    Well he is doing it because there is alot of unprocessed food in his stool, then became a habit. What are you feeding?
    Secondly- there is a product called " deter" that is a tablet you put in his food, and makes the stool undesirable... It works the first time you use it. However- you have to do it over a period of days to make the point, then once in a while just to reinterate this behavior to stop.
    I know this is upsetting. When I was feeding Iams years ago, I had a female shepherd that did this. The tablets worked fast..