Thread: Sombra has gone to sleep

Sombra has gone to sleep

Sombra, our 15 year old black Cocker Spaniel had been getting confused and walking in circles the last few weeks. She lost 2 pounds in a month so we decided to take her to the vet yesterday. I had a feeling what he would recommend, but I blocked it out. This vet had seen Sombra for the last couple of years and could tell right away something had changed dramatically. He said he knew this was hard to hear, but her quality of life was gone and it was best to help her before she deteriorated any more.

I wasn't ready, but my wife asked if it could be done right away. If I were alone, I would have taken Sombra home and delayed the right course of action. The tears welled up for my wife and I right way, but we knew what we had to do. I took off Sombra's collar and laid her on the table. The vet brought in a towel for Sombra's head and gave her a sedative. He told us it was quick and Sombra would be asleep in a few minutes.

My wife and I petted Sombra while the drug took effect. She yawned and I put my hand by her nose as I stroked her head. I could feel her breaths on my hand getting deeper and slower. I leaned up against her ear and told her I loved her (She was about 85% deaf, but could hear if you got very close). Before she closed her eyes, Sombra licked my hand twice. Her little grey eyelids fluttered and she drifted off to sleep.

The vet came back in after about five minutes with the final dose. In my mind, I thought it wasn't too late and I could take Sombra home and let her sleep off the sedative. Again, if I had been alone I might have done it. But my wife was strong for both of us and we both held Sombra while the vet gave her the final shot. It was less than two minutes after that when he put the stethoscope on her chest and told us "She's gone." I picked up her limp body and hugged her, not able to speak but I whispered "goodbye" and then held my wife as we both cried.

I know that we made the only choice to help our little girl end her life without suffering and in a loving and dignified manner. But today it hurts. I keep seeing Sombra drifting away in my arms and pray she knew how much we loved her and that she knew we were helping her. I have to put away her bed and bowl and it is worse today than last night. Thank you for this forum - it helps to write it down.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Sombra sounded so beautiful, not only on the outside, but on the inside as well. You did the right thing, although it doesn't seem like it right now. Sombra had the best life while she was with you, and she definitely knew how much you loved her and cared for her. You proved that to her in the wonderful 15 years you all had together.

She will look down on you from the Rainbow Bridge from time to time. Just remember she isn't in pain no longer. She is running free, and having the time of her life. Oneday you will all meet again. Until then, cherish the memories you have of Sombra.

I know what it is like to lose a dog that you love so dearly. My collie died in last year in August. She had a tumor, and it ruptured. I wasn't brave enough to carry her to the vet, and she died in my arms one night. I miss that girl more than anything; she was like my shadow, always by my side. But, I've got to be strong, because I know I'll see her again someday.
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

What a beautiful girl she was.
    Your description of your final moments with her brought tears to my eyes... its a day no animal-lover wants to experiance. Its nice to know that it sounded peaceful. Especially the last gestures dear Sombra gave to you.
    RIP Sombra. Your family loved you more than anyone could imagine. You had a great life, I'm sure.

Rest In Peace precious Sombra.

I'm sure your sweet girl knew full well how much you loved and treasured
    her.You are so right by saying, just the sharing of your sorrow, lessens the
    great weight upon your hearts.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Thank you all for the kind thoughts and support. It is dreary and lonely today - knowing the love of a dog means having to accept their eventual passing. We are blessed by the unconditional and boundless love our friends give us in their all-too-brief lives. This is a great site and you all are neat people.

I read this thread at work and I was fighting back the tears. Eventually, tears streamed down my face, without control. My heart breaks for you over the loss of your friend and companion. It was time for Sombra to go to the bridge. You did the only thing you could do. Rest in Peace sweet girl and play very hard at the bridge My thoughts and prayers are with you both. Bless you.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

May she rest in peace and your hearts heal and the years you shared comfort you in your grief.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know making *that* decision is one of the hardest things we ever have to do. Your brain says yes but your heart says no. But in the end, being unselfish is the greatest gift we can give our pets. Sombra will have a place in your hearts forever. Safe journey little one. Play hearty at the Bridge, healthy and whole. Keep an eye on mom and dad who love you very much.

I've been Boooo'd!

Thank you

You all have shown so much care and support and I'm glad I stumbled on to this site. It has helped get me through these past few days. Thank you.

My wife and I talked tonight about how strange and foggy today seemed - first day back at work since Sombra passed on. We agreed that being there at the vet with our friend and "child" was one of the most sublime experiences in our lives. Dogs are the truly guileless and innocent creatures in God's domain (Maybe cats too - my daughter has one I'm growing to love ). It is hard to watch them go...

To hold a dog's well being - from training and feeding to sheltering and ensuring their health - in your hands is an awesome responsibility. Too many people take this charge way too lightly. But to make the decision to help a dog you've loved end their time on earth with as little pain and discomfort as possible is breathtaking when I think about it. In my limited ability to describe the experience, it was terribly sacred.

I wish I could have avoided it, yet I am thankful beyond words that I could be there to comfort and hold my little Sombra when she drifted away to the next life. It just blows me away. Thank you all who shared your feelings and support and care.
    Last edited by azchurch; 11-07-2006 at 10:42 PM.

I'm very sorry to hear of the passing of your beloved Sombra. She was very beautiful. It is very hard to a member of the family. She had a long and wonderful life with you.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
    When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
    They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...