Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May be getting a return...

May be getting a return...

There is a male from Jake's litter with Annie that may be getting returned tomorrow. He's a working dog, he's used to work the livestock, and he did some tracking earlier in his life.

He's 4 years old, neutered, groenendael. Jake and Annie's litter was the best tempered litter Marla has ever had, so it's likely that he will be quite a nice dog. He is Visa's nephew, and he's Stormy's littermate -- some of you might remember Stormy -- he's a very high drive boy who competes in agility and obedience.

I would love for him to find a Pet Talk home...So if anyone is thinking about bringing a big furry black dog into their home, please let me know.

Attached are some pics of littermate, Stormy..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5906.JPG 
Views:	145 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	31238   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stormy.JPG 
Views:	144 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	31239   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5910.JPG 
Views:	177 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	31240   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5909.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	31241   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5907.JPG 
Views:	144 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	31242  

I've been BOO'd!

If he wasn't a male, I'd say yes in an instant. What a beautiful dog! I hope you'll be able to find a suitable home for him relatively soon.

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

I agree- I cant take on another adult male. I could only do a puppy so the pup knows his place behind Hottie and Zubin. ..
    For what it is worth, I had two Belgiums- and they were fabulous dogs. Easy to train and just beautiful with very few health problems in the breed if anyone wants my opinion of this wonderful breed.
    I am sure you will find a wonderful home thats for sure!

Thanks guys! He will likely be coming back this weekend. The owner is heartbroken, cries every time she talks about it, but she can't risk him getting off the property because she lives in farm country and a big wolf-looking dog could easily get shot. She's worried he will kill the neighbor's chickens.

His name is Jasper and he's raw-fed. He was actually returned once before, when he was three months, because he was "sick" -- the owner had given him a parvo shot, he had a reaction, and developed parvo -- he was the one who gave Visa and her littermates parvo.

Because he was so avid in tracking and still remembers all his training, it's likely he will end up in a Search & Rescue home. Solo's father's breeder is VERY active in SAR (Visa's litter brother is her SAR dog), and she can probably find a good SAR home for him, or even keep him for it, herself.
    I've been BOO'd!

Goodluck with Jasper, he sounds like a sweety .

he is such a cutie! i hope he finds a home.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Marla drove to Cranbrook yesterday and picked him up. He is HUGE -- atleast 28 inches, which is 6 inches taller than Visa. And he's dang ugly lol. The spitting image of his mother, who was less than show quality.. Even Jake who is GORGEOUS could not improve upon that apparently LOL.

He is quite upset with the change -- just wants to be left alone. He is good with the kids though, only growled at the dogs a few times, not in a very bad way, just telling them that he wants to be left alone. Really wants to chase the cats but he knows he's not allowed -- he's letting them rub up against him. His issue is resource guarding. If he thinks you are going to take something away from him he will growl at you. Marla is going to hold onto him for a couple of weeks to break him of this. He just wasn't trained well in that department.

The owner was very upset. Marla feels it was more of her husband's decision. The first thing she asked Marla was if it was okay with Marla's husband if she brought the dog back. Then when Marla said she'd pick him up, the lady made sure to ask if it was okay with Marla's husband. So it sounds like her husband is basically in charge. She didn't even come out of the car, she was crying too much.
    I've been BOO'd!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsoul
    And he's dang ugly lol.
    Do you really mean that when you say some Belgians are ugly?

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

Have you seen Jag? LOL. Marla said if she didn't know his parents she would have thought he was a GSD mix.
    I've been BOO'd!

Well, what I mean is do you really think they're ugly? Because I don't see what's so ugly about some you say that are! Unless you're judging by show quality - which isn't fair.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

I'm not technically judging by show quality -- since it's such a loose term -- almost any Belgian can be "non-show-quality" and still win (like Jag LOL!) -- If a Belgian is ugly to me, it means I wouldn't want the breed as a whole to look like it, or it has a body not capable of doing what it's supposed to.
    I've been BOO'd!

28???? HOLY COW!!! As far as ugly, maybe he just needs better care and food.. I am not sure what you mean by ugly. Can you post a picture of him?

BTW- the resource guarding might just be he has to settle in. I am sure he is a little shell shocked. I would be careful though- his size is enough to really watch him.
    After he settles in, you can work on this resource guarding. When I use to put an adult in the house with other adults, everyoneeeeeeeeeee wore a lure coursing muzzle. That way no one could bite, and I could safely correct the behavior without getting bite. Also - is he neutered yet? If not, that might help alot.

This is a lure coursing muzzle. They can still drink but cant bite.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom
    28???? HOLY COW!!! As far as ugly, maybe he just needs better care and food.. I am not sure what you mean by ugly. Can you post a picture of him?
    This is his mother -- and he apparently looks exactly like her, only way oversize. She had no coat and a major dish face, a loooong nose, her back sloped in, east-westy (which can affect movement/ability)...When I first saw her I didn't think she was a Belgian. When I was told she was, I thought she must be a black malinois. As far as care and food, he's in better condition than anything Marla has gotten back. She said he smells, which is typical of a fam dog, but that he's atleast brushed.

The rescourse guarding isn't new -- the owner had said that he was overguarding, but Marla thought she mean the home. That's probably why they needed to rehome him, perhaps they were worried about him around the kids. Yes he was sold as a pet puppy so he is neutered. Marla knows how to deal with these things -- I've seen her deal with alot of it before.
    I've been BOO'd!