Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vomitting

Netherlands (where I'm from) & Germany (where I live)

Vomitting

Cookie often vomits in the middle of the night on after we get up in the morning (she hasn't eaten anything by that time). The vet can't find anything that could be wrong with her.

I think it's not normal for her to vomit the way she does. It's about once a week. It's always yellowish, doesn't smell and looks like bubble soap. After that she's usually exhausted and sleeps for 2 hours.

The vet thinks I'm overreacting and that a dog often vomits. I don't know since the other dogs we had hardly ever did and never on an empty stomach or in the middle of the night.

Does anyone know if there's something I can do against it?

My Lilly does that on occasion too, but I usually attribute it to her chewing too much on the toys or bones during the night. It hasn't happened often enough to consider it to be a regular problem, but it is worrisome when you know that it has to make them uncomfortable. And of course, when you don't hear it happening, you usually find it by stepping on it.

If it isn't happening frequently, it just may be something Cookie is nibbling on that doesn't settle right. If your vet is satisfied that she is healthy, she probably is.

Logan

The yellowy stuff is bile like stuff from the top of the intestine. I would say that if she continues to do it that you may want to get a second opinion from a different vet.

Good luck!!

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Do you notice anything in her poop? Strings, bits of toys, etc... Perhaps it is just something that isn't sitting well with her that she chewed earlier in the day and that is her way of getting it out of her system. I know those Goldens love to chew!

Dusty was doing that too for a while when he was a puppy. We determined he was allergic to the Bil-Jac liver treats we were giving him. Stopped giving them and he stopped throwing up. His was kind of happening about 5 minutes after the treats though so I don't think that is what is happening to Cookie.

Cookie is (like many other Goldens that we know) very sensitive. If I'm stressed, she's stressed. On days like that, her poop is very thin and (since I always pick it up in a plastic back to throw away and keep the streets clean - I automatically check it) slimy and greenish. Otherwise no problems.
    She also has this, when my parents have been here with their dog and she's on her own again.

She never ever vomits after she's eaten something. And even though she loves to chew, she will never go as far as destroying them. All she gets for snack, are those dried sardines (maybe 2 or 3 a day) and on chewy stick after we finish our dinner and she hasn't been begging. For training we use those little sausages for kids.

The vomitting happens usually in the middle of the night, lets say after about 7 hours of sleep (she goes to sleep at 7pm till the next morning 7 am) or after the early morning pee.

I'm very concerned about it and I don't feel satisfied about the vet telling me she's alright.

My husband thinks it has to do with her dreams (she's a very heavy dreamer with shaky legs, growling and barking).

I've heard of some dogs that do this when their stomach is very empty. Try giving a little snack at bedtime and see if that works.

What is Cookie's regular feeding time?

Mary

You can always get a second opinion from another vet. Your vet should recognize you are worried and try to help you figure this out!

Best wishes in discovering what is causing it. Hopefully it is something she will outgrow.

Originally posted by mruffruff
    I've heard of some dogs that do this when their stomach is very empty. Try giving a little snack at bedtime and see if that works.

What is Cookie's regular feeding time?

Mary

Cookie gets her food after the morning walk (around 10am) and after the afternoon walk (around 5pm).

Originally posted by Dixieland Dancer
    You can always get a second opinion from another vet. Your vet should recognize you are worried and try to help you figure this out!

Best wishes in discovering what is causing it. Hopefully it is something she will outgrow.
    Thank you very much. My husband will take her to a vet clinic on Monday.

C.C. 'S Mom,

There was a thread on this topic before called "Any ideas"
    posted by Aly on 12-4-2001. Tatsxxx11 did some research
    on a vet info site & came up with "gastric reflux" as the cause.
    Use the search option & read those other posts, because they
    sound like what you are talking about with Cookie now.
    Good Luck on this.It's better to know what causes it, even if
    it's not serious, right? Liz & Buddy.

My Addie vomits a sort of yellow-white bubbly bile (yucky), if she has been chewing on rawhide. It is not much, but the act of "messing inside" makes her very sad and guilty. It usually happens at night, several hours after chewing. Rawhide doesn't effect my other dog at all.

Getting a second opinion is definately the thing to do, but if she has rawhide, you may want to take it away for awhile. Her tummy may need a break.

Originally posted by lizbud
    C.C. 'S Mom,

There was a thread on this topic before called "Any ideas"
    posted by Aly on 12-4-2001. Tatsxxx11 did some research
    on a vet info site & came up with "gastric reflux" as the cause.
    Use the search option & read those other posts, because they
    sound like what you are talking about with Cookie now.
    Good Luck on this.It's better to know what causes it, even if
    it's not serious, right? Liz & Buddy.
    I read it, and all I could think of was: That's it, this is what's going on with my baby girl!

I'm just not so sure about medication, but we'll discuss it on Monday.

Thanks to all of you.

I'm wondering could she be chewing on grass during the day?
    I had a problem with Daisy on Thursday, she woke me up, we sleep together and could not settle down. I asked her "Do you want to go outside" and she jumped off the bed and went to the door, this was in the middle of the night and I took her out and she immediately ran to the back of the patio and vomited, but I believe it was the food she ate at dinner and she has been fine since then.
    I would probably get a second opinion if I was you, it doesn't really sound natural for her to do that.
    Miss Daisy, Perry and Jackie

Good luck with Cookie Poor girl. I hope, if it is that gastric reflux thing, it's easy to cure.

Please let us know what the vet says at the appointment today!