Thread: under the bed

under the bed

my very friendly 3 year old poodle has started to spend a lot of time under the bed. She won't come out when called, but she's happy when she decides to come out. She was always under my feet or beside me, and I miss her doing this.

Your dog probably needs some time to himself and try to pet him a lot when he's out.

I would shut the bedroom door and provide a soft, comfortable dog bed for her out of draughts and in a quiet corner. If she is still seeking to go under furniture or out of the light take her to your vet and have it checked out just to be on the safe side.

Pam: Is there something "new" in the environment? A new baby, new pet, different home, anything that you can trace to about the time this behavior started? Is it hot where you are and cooler under the bed or vice versa? What comes to mind at this point is that you have a toddler in the house that has discovered the dog and the dog doesn't want to be "discovered" by anything that squeals and moves quickly and grabs. Is this a possibility?
    Other possibilities include: nesting if she's intact; just looking for a place of her own (you could provide a crate to discourage under the bed, but put it in the bedroom to begin). Remember, if she were in a "wild" environment, she would lay up during rest periods in a cave or under a log, so this may just be her expression of that tendency. It's quiet, dark, protected/protectable -- it may just be her "cave". Is this behavior a real problem or just a nuisance? If the latter, I'd leave it go, if the former, why? I do always recommend a visit to the vet for ruling out medical reasons, has she been hurt recently or gotten spayed? If she's healthy and this is only a nuisance behavior, maybe you don't need to "cure" it? Think about her environment and any changes that have come about or changes in the weather you can associate with the onset of this behavior and you will probably find the reason for it, but if she's happy when she comes out, has bright eyes and eats well, I'd say leave her to it and enjoy her when she emerges.

Originally posted by ktreva52:
    Pam: Is there something "new" in the environment? A new baby, new pet, different home, anything that you can trace to about the time this behavior started? Is it hot where you are and cooler under the bed or vice versa? What comes to mind at this point is that you have a toddler in the house that has discovered the dog and the dog doesn't want to be "discovered" by anything that squeals and moves quickly and grabs. Is this a possibility?
    Other possibilities include: nesting if she's intact; just looking for a place of her own (you could provide a crate to discourage under the bed, but put it in the bedroom to begin). Remember, if she were in a "wild" environment, she would lay up during rest periods in a cave or under a log, so this may just be her expression of that tendency. It's quiet, dark, protected/protectable -- it may just be her "cave". Is this behavior a real problem or just a nuisance? If the latter, I'd leave it go, if the former, why? I do always recommend a visit to the vet for ruling out medical reasons, has she been hurt recently or gotten spayed? If she's healthy and this is only a nuisance behavior, maybe you don't need to "cure" it? Think about her environment and any changes that have come about or changes in the weather you can associate with the onset of this behavior and you will probably find the reason for it, but if she's happy when she comes out, has bright eyes and eats well, I'd say leave her to it and enjoy her when she emerges.

Wondering how your poodle has been and if you figured out what was going on with her hanging out under the bed? Keep us posted!

Sammi, I'm doing better. You guys made me realize that I was smothering her with love. Now I just let her be and when she comes[out she's bouncing and very happy. I guess we all need our space and time alone. I was worried that she might really isolate herself, but just the opposite is happening - she does it less now that I don't go and drag her out and sicken her with a thousand kisses. Thanks, Pam QUOTE]Originally posted by sammi:
    Wondering how your poodle has been and if you figured out what was going on with her hanging out under the bed? Keep us posted![/QUOTE]

------------------

Good for you, Pam. Dogs are very like children and need to be loved a lot, but sometimes allowed to be their own dog (so to speak -- arf!). We can sometimes become quite dependent upon our canine buddies and we do smother them and make them act oddly. You, my friend, will be all right!! I'm very happy for you and your doggie. Let us know what fun new things you two do together.

Good to hear that things are better now. Continued good luck in the future.!!

------------------
    ***Save a life, ADOPT***