Thread: Sphynx cats and allergic people--can they coexist?

Sphynx cats and allergic people--can they coexist?

Hi. Ever since reading the early Oct. posting (Oct. 2nd, I think) of the Sphynx cat, Miss Siti (?), I have been wishing that my husband could live with a Sphynx, like the person who sent in his and his wife's cat, Siti, to Cat of the Day. In that posting, the husband said that he'd never had a cat because of his asthma, but that when he read about Sphynx cats being hairless, he got his wife a kitten, and it's been a love-fest ever since.

It's been my understanding that it's not a cat's fur that causes an allergic reaction; rather, it's the dander, through the cat's saliva. Do I have that right? I've been surfing the net for information on Sphynx cats and how they are for people with allergies to cats. Today I read on one site that though they might work for some people, for people with more severe allergies, they might not.

I'm wondering if any of you out there have any experience with owning a Sphynx and doing ok in spite of allergies. Any advice, anyone? (Don't say, "Get rid of the husband," because that's not an option either! How I managed to fall in love with someone who is allergic to fur, feathers, and even to turtles, I'll never know -- some kind of cosmic joke, I guess.)

Thank you--hope to hear back from people, maybe even with a glimmer of hope!
    COLOR=Blue]Allycat[/COLOR]

You are right, the allergen is in the saliva, it's not the hair itself. But due to the intensive cleaning the hair is carrying the allergen. So without fur you minimize the risk of allergy but I am not sure it is completely gone. Probably not, it may depend on your degree of allergy then.

I have no experience with Sphynx cats, so I can't help, probably someone here at PT will do.

I have a Sphynx named MooShoo. It's true that the allergens come from the saliva which become airborne after it dries. Since Sphynxes don't have much fur, they don't groom as much as cats that do have fur.

Sphynxes are wonderful cats who become very attached to their humans. MooShoo is my soulmate.

If you are thinking of getting a Sphynx, let me know as I know people in Sphynx rescue that can help. MooShoo was a rescue from a bad breeder. He's got no sight in his right eye and partial vision in his left from a herpes virus the breeder failed to treat, causing scar tissue to form on his corneas. He's a real pistol and I love him to DEATH!!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Question about Rescue Sphynxes

Dear Mooshoo's Mom (and any other cat people) -- Can you please tell me more about Sphynx rescues? I'm wondering if I could try fostering a Sphynx and seeing how my husband handles that. If he winds up being too allergic, well, then at least I'll have my answer. Since it's a fostering situation, then I would "just" (with tears) give the kitty back to the original source (rescuers?). But if it does work out that my husband and a Sphynx can co-exist, why then we could adopt the rescue kitty!

So, any more information would be very much appreciated! I tried sending an email but just realized that it didn't go through. I'm still learning how to manage this kind of emailing.

Thank you,
    Allycat
    COLOR=Blue]Allycat[/COLOR]